Main Menu

Collecting quirks

Started by Trout, 18 November, 2012, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

I definitely think you should follow through with this ludicrous plan Trout. I bet it turns out there's one really obscure impossible to find issue which will drive you to distraction.

I don't have any really interesting collecting goals although I'm determined to obtain a physical copy of every 2000AD strip (Future Shocks aside) without buying the first 250 progs, which is maybe a bit silly. I used to buy at least one record on 4AD every year. Even if there wasn't one I really liked I'd get one just to keep the streak going, but I gave that up in 2008.

I actually have a question about comic collecting which I've been meaning to bring up for a while. What is the point of the bags? I do keep my back issues in boxes but that's more for practicality and space saving. Not only do I not put them in bags, when I buy back issues which are in bags I usually take them out before filing them away.  Do libraries keep collections of newspapers and so forth in bags? If not, why not? Or does the climate control remove the need?
We never really die.

Trout

Listen carefully, simpleton: the bags are for keeping comics in.

sigh

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 November, 2012, 12:17:26 AM

I actually have a question about comic collecting which I've been meaning to bring up for a while. What is the point of the bags?

Good grief I'd have thought it was obvious, the bag is there to keep the backing board in place - Jez.

O Lucky Stevie!

Cosh... don't say that you apply the sticky tape directly to the back page of your comic  :o
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

Ha. Thanks for the tips.

Ah, the boards. Is the main use for these to keep the spacing regular? If so, I achieve the same effect by alternating ten issues facing forward then ten facing backwards.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 23 November, 2012, 09:41:24 AM
Ah, the boards. Is the main use for these to keep the spacing regular? If so, I achieve the same effect by alternating ten issues facing forward then ten facing backwards.

NNNNOOOOOOOOoooooooo, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

No

No

That's wrong...

Just NO

(its not an over reaction!)

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 November, 2012, 09:51:21 AM
The boards stop the curl

So does alternating the side the spines are on.

(I can't see this picture at work. I only realised there was one there when I quoted you)
We never really die.

Spikes

Saw this little fella on E-Bay the other day, and i think a new thing to collect has arrived,  ;)
Had hours of fun with Lego Space, back in the late 70's/early 80's.
Seem cheap enough...

Mardroid

Trout

Oh, I like it. Lego collections can't cost too much. There's hardly any of that our there.

Er...

Spikes

There's been four of those little Lego Space Buggy's on E-bay the last couple of days, and have all gone for only a couple of quid.
Gonna have to check what sites are out there, and see if they have a listing for what sets were released, and what i used to have,  ;)

As a sucker for the original Star Wars Figures (especially those from ANH), this caught my eye. Pricey, but deffo WANT! 
Take my money, E-bay. Take it all!

Buttonman

The internet has killed collecting as a hobby stone dead. If you have the cash you can have anything you like, in days.

When I was a lad it was different. I bought my comics mail order from Steve Rock comics and he often didn't have what I wanted from his home made catalogue by the time he got my order. There was a real thrill when you got a roughly taped package with with no idea what it contained.

For my Prog collection I visited every comic shop I came accross often buying the odd random Prog for £1.30 from the tattered 'wants' list I kept in my wallet. With the dawn of the internet, or at least my understanding of it, I completed my gaps in a few weeks on Ebay. Job done, hobby gone.

Since I got my last Prog & Meg (Prog 121 and Meg Vol 3.75) I haven't collected anything, and frankly I miss the thrill.

Krakajac

"Since I got my last Prog & Meg (Prog 121 and Meg Vol 3.75) I haven't collected anything, and frankly I miss the thrill."

I'm a bit of a lurker...but the above struck a chord with me.  I was lucky in some ways that I completed my prog collection prior to the internet springing up.  I too, have fond memories of searching through dingy second-hand book shops and piles of old progs - and this was in New Zealand.  The final prog I needed was (from memory) 524, or thereabouts.  It was quite a momentous day when it finally went into 'the pile'.  In those days, I stored my progs in a single vertical column, which was about 4 foot high (can't do that these days, of course).  My cat used it as a scratching post from time-to-time, so each of those early progs has a minute 'knick' at the bottom of each page - nice way to remember the cat who is now long gone!

There were a couple of 2000AD-related items that I just couldn't acquire in NZ, so mail-order services from the UK were vital in filling the gaps.  I can't remember the bloke, but I think he might have advertised in 2000AD at some point.  I was able to get a typed/photocopied catalogue sent out, and then I could select what I wanted.  I believe payment was made via an International Money Order or similar.

Someone above mentioned letraset.  In addition to 2000AD, vintage Action Man and a number of other things, I also collect the old letraset activity books from the 70's - the following pictures might bring back some memories.  Some of these would have been on the shelves next to 2000AD back in the day.  Apologies for the back-drop in the photos - I'm in the middle of recarpeting my house. :)

Buttonman

Ha! I remember these - you used to rub the transfers onto the cardboard back drop and inevitably half the soldier came away when you pulled back the sheet due to ineffectual rubbing. A talent I have since mastered, I may add.