Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

If the other leaders had any sense, they'd empty chair and direct all of their venom at the empty chair. But no way anyone but the Greens would follow that plan.

I disagree that Corbyn is useless at PMQs. The whole affair is fucking stupid with all the jeering and point-scoring being the expected behaviour, rather than engaging with any questions or answers. I honestly don't know why we cede it any importance as the PM is able to simply ignore or throw back a personal attack rather than provide PMAs. It's basically this https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2017/jan/22/theresa-may-dodges-question-trident-misfire-four-times-video but with many chortles, guffaws and other noises that should only exist in Beano-era onomatopoeia. It's a meaningless circus.

I think the questions from the public were a great idea, frankly. The fact they are sneered at so universally says more about the failings of our political class and our media than anything else.

Congratulations on being the first nice person I've ever met who enjoyed Atlas Shrugged Sharky!

Steven Denton

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 11:08:36 AM
I have thought about it, yes, even tried planning and plotting one out a few times but my ambition has always outstripped my talent, coming out either stupid and simplistic or pompous and impenetrable. I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged very much and regret losing my copy to "The Event."

Maybe one day I'll be up to doing justice to the subject but, in the meantime, I'm happy to be writing scripts for Zarjaz, DogBreath and Paragon - which are much more enjoyable! :)

I am far more likely to read Zarjaz, DogBreath and Paragon, but I am at once not your audience and very much your audience. And just because I'm not your audience doesn't mean I wouldn't encourage you to write your own 'Atlas Shrugged'. 

TordelBack

I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged very much...

-choke-

One of the most poisonous hateful tracts ever written, a bible for the selfish and self-absorbed, AFAIAC. Even given your libertarian streak, I'm shocked that someone as compasionate and community-focused as your good self found anything to like in there.  Care to elaborate?

Theblazeuk

Also - Zac Goldsmith to stand in Richmond Park as the Conservative candidate?

:|

This is just depressing.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Blaze - I really need to find another copy and read it again. I remember thinking how full of good observations and almost good ideas. My favourite line from it, which I have actually used on officials, is, "I will not engage in an argument whose ultimate expression is the barrel of a gun."

Steven, thanks to you too - we all need, and appreciate, a little encouragement from time to time.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 April, 2017, 12:19:55 PM
I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged very much...

-choke-

One of the most poisonous hateful tracts ever written, a bible for the selfish and self-absorbed, AFAIAC. Even given your libertarian streak, I'm shocked that someone as compasionate and community-focused as your good self found anything to like in there.  Care to elaborate?

I haven't read it - I got about two thirds of the way through The Fountainhead and found it deeply unpleasant too.  Basically a celebration of being a narcissistic sociopath (and a rapist, come to that).  Zack Snyder is welcome to it - Howard Roark is about as appealing as his murderous Batman and sniveling Ozymandias.  And the buildings he designs sound fucking horrible too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Professor Bear

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 April, 2017, 12:14:20 PMI disagree that Corbyn is useless at PMQs. The whole affair is fucking stupid with all the jeering and point-scoring being the expected behaviour, rather than engaging with any questions or answers.

I honestly can't see what he does differently with May that he didn't do with Cameron - nor what May does worse than her predecessor - so can't understand why people say he has a good day every now and then.  As far as I can tell it's the same old shit every Wednesday and the only difference now is the gender balance.

All of which is irrelevant - PMQs exist only to give the illusion of accountability on the part of the PM.  Practically, they achieve fuck all except to keep the commentariat employed and reinforce existing bias.  Nothing good will ever come of the inbred panto that is PMQs... which is the whole point.

The Legendary Shark

Tordels, I read Atlas Shrugged because I found out it was Alan Greenspan's favourite book. AG is, of course, "the enemy" and I wanted to know why he liked the book so much. Reading it, I could see why. It is just as you describe, one of the most poisonous hateful tracts ever
written and a bible for the selfish and self-absorbed. If one intends to argue against the Bible, one must read it first.

As I said earlier (and please don't ask me to quote specifics because I can't remember), it's full of almost good ideas - selfish notions that are ghastly in individuals but would work well universally - a kind of small degree of separation from enlightened self-interest.

It's also invaluable as a resource for understanding how the powers that shouldn't be see themselves and the "useless eaters" they believe they rule.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 12:48:51 PM
It's also invaluable as a resource for understanding how the powers that shouldn't be see themselves and the "useless eaters" they believe they rule.

Well I'm with you there!

The Legendary Shark

I enjoyed The Fountainhead in the same spirit but not as much.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Bear on 27 April, 2017, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 April, 2017, 12:14:20 PMI disagree that Corbyn is useless at PMQs. The whole affair is fucking stupid with all the jeering and point-scoring being the expected behaviour, rather than engaging with any questions or answers.

I honestly can't see what he does differently with May that he didn't do with Cameron - nor what May does worse than her predecessor - so can't understand why people say he has a good day every now and then.  As far as I can tell it's the same old shit every Wednesday and the only difference now is the gender balance.

I agree there! It's the same old shit. Seems as though the focus is always on the question, never the response.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 April, 2017, 12:14:20 PMI disagree that Corbyn is useless at PMQs. The whole affair is fucking stupid
I agree with the latter, but on the former point, he almost never follows up. He so often goes with that device of "a concerned mother from Rotherham", waits for a non-answer from May, and then moves on. By contrast, Robertson often rattles May with his two questions (which, reportedly, have never overlapped with Corbyn's – suggesting the SNP and Labour leadership have zero overlap about the pressing issues of the day).

But really it showcases why neither of them wants to do a debate – they'd be crushed under the relative might of Sturgeon, Lucas, Farron, et al (and I use 'relative' there quite deliberately).

As for Goldsmith, was anyone really expecting anything else? Tories will be Tories. They're all closing ranks now, with the so-called moderates ditching Open Britain due to it being partisan (it isn't) and not seeing the irony in their partisan actions. I hope Olney wins and Labour steps aside. The former's possible; the latter's improbable, despite Labour's only chance in that seat being to drag enough votes from Olney to turn it blue again.

JPMaybe

Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Mikey

This could be fun - why just have a Westminster election and an Assembly election when you could make it a triple bill with another 'in/out' referendum?
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

Wow. Whereas a united Ireland could be a complete clusterfuck, I also don't want the return of the awful, intimidating borders of my childhood / early adulthood - and in my book, the more people we have left in the EU, the better.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"