Main Menu

Monster

Started by AlexF, 18 July, 2016, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

I had never even heard of Monster until the new collection was advertised. The mixture of Alan Moore, John Wagner and Jesus Redondo made it a must buy book, and now I've read it.

It's a damn-near perfect iteration of the sort of strip that doesn't exist any more, and I suppose may never exist again. It's also a slightly odd thing to come to with no context. I can imagine people who read the odd issue of Scream or the 80s Eagle would have fond memories, and may be curious to know how it started, or what happened across the series as a whole, but reading through the whole thing from beginning to end with no nostalgia factor is odd.

Nonetheless, the book holds up well, I think. The opening episode by Alan Moore and artist Heinzl is moody and spooky. It doesn't actually get as far as introducing the Monster himself, and I gather that no one knows what Moore himself intended to do with the story. Under the pens of Wagner, Grant and Redondo, what we get is a road trip in which a boy and his monstrous uncle are on the run from the police, and end up getting into scrapes which involve an average of two murders per epsiode.

As you'd expect from Wagner & Grant, it's both dark and hilarious in equal measure. Best of all, they somehow sell each episode as making perfect sense. There's an element of conicidence along the way (the unfortunate pair run afoul of crooks far more often than friendly folk), but within that young hero Kenny makes sensible decisions, and the Monster is consistent in his emotions and reactions, and it's all so sad that he just keeps having to murder his way out of trouble!

There's a great bit where Kenny tries to explain to a police officer that it's really not Uncle Terry's fault he keeps killing, and you sympathise, but at the same time the cop has no time for it and you sympathise with his point of view, too.

As times the story can feel a bit samey from episode to episode - which was sort of the point with throwaway comics of the era - but there's always a ongoing situation to play out. And when that sameness involves a lumbering beast of a man slurring words and murdering people who sort of deserve it, it's classic 2000ADish fun.

It's all very League of Gentlemen / Psychoville, and if that's your thing I'd definitely recommend the book.

Somehow it manages to have a coherent and sort of happy ending, too - although I've yet to read the text stories at the back which may upend things...

Eamonn Clarke

Do you fancy coming on the podast to review it, Alex?

Professor Bear

My memories suggest there's some kind of drinking game to be played where you have to neck it whenever Uncle Terry accidentally murders someone, or Danny says or thinks the phrase "doesn't know his own strength!"

Also, has there even been a Monster vs M.A.C.H. 0 fanstrip?  If not, why not?

Ghost MacRoth

Read it on release in 'Scream', and tried to follow in 'Eagle' after, but lost interest as the tales in 'eagle' just got worse when they merged with 'tiger'!  Look forward to reading the collected tale, as I REALLY loved it as a kid.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Hawkmumbler

Considering the quality of the other Scream! collections I own, this is a must.

Greg M.

Quote from: AlexF on 18 July, 2016, 05:37:55 PM
There's an element of conicidence along the way (the unfortunate pair run afoul of crooks far more often than friendly folk), but within that young hero Kenny makes sensible decisions...

I dunno -  I love Monster, but part of its potency (and tragedy) comes from the fact that Kenny tries his best to help Terry for entirely honorable reasons, but simply isn't mature enough to be put in that position. I'd say he makes the kind of poor decisions that might be logical to a twelve-year-old boy, but viewed objectively are disastrous. If Kenny'd made the right decision early on, there'd only be two people dead!

AlexF

You're right, 'sensible' isn't the word I should have used! More that it makes sense that Kenny does what he does, in light of the fact that he's just had to a) bury his recently murdered abusive father and b) discovered he has a monstrous uncle with a violent temper.

Greg M.

Yeah - Kenny and Terry are quite believable and consistent characters, in terms of their actions and their relationship, which seems touchingly 'real'. I really like Kenny's exasperation with his uncle - the "Oh, shut up!" moments are very funny and ring true - and I think the story suffers a little as Kenny starts to drop out of it, since he's the audience identification figure.

Andy B

But how come living in the attic for years turns Uncle Terry green?

PsychoGoatee

The anime adaptation of Monster is really really well done, for the record, awesome stuff.

PsychoGoatee

No edit button, I'm talking about a different Monster, but you'd probably dig that too. About a fugitive doctor on the hunt of a maniac.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Andy B on 13 August, 2016, 04:03:01 AM
But how come living in the attic for years turns Uncle Terry green?
Copper pipes.

M.I.K.

Actually, I think I may also have hit upon a possible explanation for Uncle Terry's temperament...

Quote from: WikipediaChronic (long-term) effects of copper exposure can damage the liver and kidneys.[10] Mammals have efficient mechanisms to regulate copper stores such that they are generally protected from excess dietary copper levels.[10][11]

Those same protection mechanisms can cause milder symptoms, which are often misdiagnosed as psychiatric disorders. There is a lot of research going on regarding the function of the Cu/Zn ratio in many conditions, neurological, endocrinological and psychological.[12][13][14] The diagnostic difficulties arise from the fact that many of the substances that protect us from excess copper perform important functions in our neurological and endocrine systems. When they are used to bind copper in the plasma, to prevent it from being absorbed in the tissues, their own function may go unfulfilled. Such symptoms often include mood swings, irritability, depression, fatigue, excitation, difficulty focusing, feeling out of control, etc. To further complicate diagnosis, some symptoms of excess copper are similar to those of a copper deficit.

M.I.K.

Quote from: M.I.K. on 14 August, 2016, 11:40:29 PM
Actually, I think I may also have inadvertently hit upon a possible explanation for Uncle Terry's temperament...

Quote from: WikipediaChronic (long-term) effects of copper exposure can damage the liver and kidneys.[10] Mammals have efficient mechanisms to regulate copper stores such that they are generally protected from excess dietary copper levels.[10][11]

Those same protection mechanisms can cause milder symptoms, which are often misdiagnosed as psychiatric disorders. There is a lot of research going on regarding the function of the Cu/Zn ratio in many conditions, neurological, endocrinological and psychological.[12][13][14] The diagnostic difficulties arise from the fact that many of the substances that protect us from excess copper perform important functions in our neurological and endocrine systems. When they are used to bind copper in the plasma, to prevent it from being absorbed in the tissues, their own function may go unfulfilled. Such symptoms often include mood swings, irritability, depression, fatigue, excitation, difficulty focusing, feeling out of control, etc. To further complicate diagnosis, some symptoms of excess copper are similar to those of a copper deficit.