Main Menu

Thought Bubble 2012 - 11th - 18th November 2012

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 15 May, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

And she knows her nerd stuff too. She was identifying stuff I had no idea about.

Steve Green

Yep, she loves her anime and manga, Marvel stuff, all sorts.

Kerrin

Awesome convention! Best one I've been to and it was great to see so many forumites again.

Minty was f*cking amazing. Both Henry Flint and Colin Macneil said how impressed they were with the Megacity and I would wholeheartedly agree. It looked like the Megacity 1 that we've grown up with as depicted by Cam Kennedy, Carlos, Colin, Henry, Steve Dillon, McMahon et al. The whole team did a phenomenal job but the two Steves and Dan, you d'boys.

There were some phenomenal cosplayers, Lara Croft nearly induced vertigo with her magnificent decollage, The father and son cardboard Judges were magnificent and the Planet Replica guys and gal were superb. Integra really is a great Anderson, but about 3/4 scale and as cute as a button.

Saturday night was a total blast. I wimped out at about 1am but the forum and 2000AD staff and creators punched well above their weight from what I hear. Leeds on a Saturday night is totally f*cking mental by the way.

Had a great natter about all things 2000AD and comics on the way home in the car with Large 48 and Albion.

Already looking forward to next year.

Pete Wells

The pic below speaks volumes for the choice of model and Planet Replicas gear...

FoldsFive

It was a great weekend, great to troop with Rob and Lauren - and the awesome Judge Minty premiere to top it all off.  Hard to beat a weekend like that :)

CrazyFoxMachine

I'm not going to say "and what do you KNOW artists but her nipples weren't BURROWING through leather" but I won't. I won't say it.

The Planet Replica judges were the bees knees - I managed to get a pic of them squaring off against the cardboard ones. Who were living gods.

Albion

Sketch time!

Two from Dave Taylor. A Batman for a friend and a Dredd for me.

Judge Death by Conor Boyle

Nikolai Dante by Simon Fraser

Slaine by Simon Davis

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Richmond Clements

Jon

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 19 November, 2012, 08:08:12 PM
And she knows her nerd stuff too. She was identifying stuff I had no idea about.

How do you know she wasn't making it up then? ;)

Bolt-01

True, she could have just been using her womanly wiles on us all... or maybe she really is psychic...

IntegraAnderson-Fairbrook

I was raised on a healthy diet of sci-fi, comics and heavy metal. Being this awesome had to be bred into a child from an early age. Encourage brilliance!! ;D
Thanks for the great feedback guys, was awesome meeting u all!

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Steve Green

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 November, 2012, 08:42:27 AM
That pic of the FQ table is awesome!

Thanks Richmond - there were a couple of others but it was just after the photo bombing and it looks like Anderson is grinning at your kilt...

Judo

I have slept on and off all of the beast that is the following monday and finally recovered from the best weekend I could have ever hoped for.  Thought bubble was amazing and I had so much fun on holiday doon sooth visiting you guys :)  everyone I met was so lovely both fans and pros.  Lost my phone pretty much instantly doh! so no photographs I'm afraid but will put the comics and what I was up tae.

MY LEEDS WEEKEND MEMENTO - had to do it in two parts cos my camera sucks

My word it was busy!  Thought it would be but not queues like that... if id known I would have come later on hehe but yes queueing was actually quite fun and I finally got to see the judges in their costumes (though CF im very disappointed, you promised!).  Not sure who they were if they are from the board im assuming, you polis all look the same durty pigs hehe.  I hadn't been to anything big like Thought Bubble before.... the glasgow event was literally held in a church hall... and maybe drank a little more than I should have! (Im not really sorry lol)  My number 1 highlight was always going to be holidaying with friends and wow what a weekend.  Team Scotland was flying high!

Al Ewing seems like a cool guy and chuffed I managed to catch him if only briefly at the tail end of his signing.  He has a very deep voice, as does John Wagner, so listening to them talk to each other was funny *gruuumble grumble gruuuuuumble* .  Watching John Mccrea sketch was fantastic, real talent there.  Colin Macneil was very funny trying for ages to think up a witty dedication before settling on 'it isn't easy being witty' lol and John Wagner sees Colins and writes 'it's easy being difficult'!  Hahaha, very funny Johnny, they both make me laugh so much!

Sister of the blood?  You think they dare clone me??  and aww the wee picture of rabbits watching the sunrise as my name.  John on literary wit and Colin on artistic wit is a perfect signing combo for me and I really enjoyed these runs.  I was going to try and get Simon Fraser to write something funny but he was busy with, well Im blaming burdis lol.  He seemed nice when I met him briefly after the ad panel on saturday and I'm glad I grabbed a sig at his table. He has an expressive face and sharp threads, but thats purely my subjective observations.

The AD panel was a giraffe and a half and well run by Stacey with a mix of the standard questions - Desert island story, characters you want to work with/kill, stuff thats been banned, thoughts on the dredd film... that kind of stuff.  Would like to have known what kinda direction things are likely to be moving in but that's just cos I didnt get a chance to quiz Al Ewing properly.  Leigh Gallagher is absolutely filthy, poor Stacey trying to keep it clean with her adorable daughter in the crowd.  Very funny of John Wagner to stop by and watch the panel but I think it made a couple guests a little nervous.  Was robbie doing a signing cos if so shame I missed that but got to say hey in the bar which was nice.  I missed a lot of guests but it was just lazy ineptitude and not deliberate!  Stole this photo off urm damn I forget but pete I assume.

Great to see top artist/inker Gary Erskine recovering from a broken arm, so glad it wasn't his wrist as would hate to see a career cut short like that.  He was giving away really cool Lille Switchblade roller grrls keyrings and I was lucky to get one as they were rightly very popular!  Gutted I can't check out Hybrid as its ipad only but great work on Crossed and I'm looking forward to the Roller Grrls comic once its finished.

Jim 'Medium Jim' Alexander who is doing Amongst the Stars a sci-fi project with Mike Perkins which sounds brill.

The only sketch I managed to get (I got denied several times lol) was off Sean Philips whose work I hadnt given the time it deserved, but I have enjoyed his ad related work.  I was asking lots of different fans what their favourite books were at this event and Sean Philips Fatale came up a lot (along with Saga and one thats name I forget but has someone with a washing machine for a face on the cover) so wanted to pick up a copy.  He was sold out but nice enough to say to pick one up from a stall instead.  Apparently he hasn't based his character on me before ever meeting me, well so he claims despite my best protests lolol!

Judge Minty was great fun and a 'brilliant' watch.  A lot of time and effort had gone into it and Im definitely in team 'give the fanclub 50k and let them make the sequal' hehe I know you would all make it epic.  DNA should at least stick it in the Dredd dvd special features.  Strontium dog next pweeze??  Hoping we can get it shown in Glasgow at some point for the film festival or something as a lot of people wanted to see it and few had the pleasure.  Wish I had got you guys to sign the credits sheet thing for fun but I was quite pished by that point and staying awake in a dark room was best I could aim for hehe

Meeting Pete Doherty was a highlight as he slayed me with his wit and yorkshire banter.  'ay up lass am from just down t'road. am just off t'slag off t'fans artwork, back later' hahaha that's how he talks its brill. and what a terrific artist, great to watch him doing judge deaths and things.  Pete definitely needs more proper 2000 ad jobs and not just on colours.  I could have been mistaken for charlies Walking Dead eating breakfast in the hotel, hangover from hell, so pete'll have to forgive me if I was rude...  Everyone I saw on sunday will have to forgive me for being rude!!

Barry Kitson is my other high light as he was the nicest man ever.  I guess I just assumed that a brit who had made it big at Marvel would be a wee bit up himself (barrys so talented it would be justified!) but that couldn't be further from the truth - an incredibly nice man!!  He was doing proper commissions for fans for free and one of the event staff said he had stayed up til 1am finishing the ones he didnt have time to finish the day before.  I was like 'Barry are you crazy, think of all the money you could be making. ye must be good fer a tap??' lol he laughed and said that all he asks is the fans hang around and chat to him while he does their water colours and my word judging by the size of the crowd round him enjoying chatting to him that was certainly no hardship.  I couldnt believe he had never been invited up to Scotland but hope he is soon.

Meeting some of you forum people was another high light and thanks to everyone who came up and introduced yourselves.  Great putting faces to names so a shout out to Commando Forces, Fatboydale, bat king, dantondare and everyone else who took the time to say hey - you were all very nice and I hope you had as epic a time as I did.  Sorry to anyone I didn't get to say hey to as I was quite busy and had no idea who was who.

Second last high light has to be Colin Macneil giving me so many cards for the 'Colin Macneil Role Playing Trading Card Game' or CMTGC as I like to call it. Only rule is you have to say how your card beats the previous card eg romans burns witches, cat chews wires. Gutted I forgot to get a game of it with Col as I only made it to make him laugh but did manage one game which I lost as Nyla declared 'dredd has to be played last and nothing beats dredd' lololol girl knows her CMTGC!!  Theres a deck protector box I made with dinosaurs wearing hats but colin pointed out I need a silver pen to do the beards too!!  Hahaha next time Col!!

And last but certainly not least for the ULTIMATE HIGH LIGHT I have to jump on the band wagon and say meeting John Wagner has to be number 1 for everyone.  I declare it as law so if you didnt put that as your high light yer gettin 10 lashes fer havin nae taste!!  Not only easily the most talented writer there but absolutely the best guy bar none too.  Its a shame his intimidating looming presence made some fans too shy to say hey but no wonder, he does look like a bent cop lolol, a big pussy cat really.  I love him so much!!

*phew* I think that about covers it so thanks for all the messages asking me about it and sorry to anyone who tried to message me to go for a drink and what not as I lost my phone boo hoo.  Hope you all had a crackin time too!!!  Much love and take care x x x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Steve Green on 20 November, 2012, 12:08:59 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 November, 2012, 08:42:27 AM
That pic of the FQ table is awesome!

Thanks Richmond - there were a couple of others but it was just after the photo bombing and it looks like Anderson is grinning at your kilt...

And who can blame her.??

Can you mail me them if you have them? Wouldn't mind a peek.