Main Menu

can somebody explain to me...

Started by sheridan, 03 September, 2016, 10:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

As a bit of a companion thread to Things that went over your head I'm flipping it around.

Re-reading Varks today, I came across a few things that Kev had put into the background which appeared to be either pop cultural references I didn't get, or in-jokes.

First page, top-left of the very first panel the juve in distress is at the end of 'Aka Plaza'.  In the distance in the same splash panel can be seen the Aka Books building.  Is this anything like the Akklaim deal of a decade later (and a reference to a company I've never heard of), or am I missing something?

The Vark then runs off into The Frankie Block - an unusual name for a MC1 citiblock, unless it's actually a reference to something else

Frank

Quote from: sheridan on 03 September, 2016, 10:26:10 PM
In the distance in the same splash panel can be seen the Aka Books building.  Is this anything like the Akklaim deal of a decade later (and a reference to a company I've never heard of)

The comic book scene is a broiling sea of corruption.

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 03 September, 2016, 11:02:38 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 03 September, 2016, 10:26:10 PM
In the distance in the same splash panel can be seen the Aka Books building.  Is this anything like the Akklaim deal of a decade later (and a reference to a company I've never heard of)

Thanks, makes more sense than 'colouring books for adults', which is what a web search turns up :-)

Tjm86

Quote from: Frank on 03 September, 2016, 11:02:38 PM

Thanks for that, interesting little read.  Also some valid points.  Don't know about anyone else but I find myself laughing at the number of people walking around with t-shirts that are prints of classic comics, with marvel comic bags and phone covers.  How far is it from the bafflement / derision of our youth?

Plus the remarks about FP.  We always used to say that FP was where you went until you found out there were real comic shops out there.  Granted this was after FP had moved from Denmark street to Oxford street and started to fight it out with the likes of the Virgin Megastore (those heady days).

I'd think that perhaps a great companion to TPO would be an artist / writers handbook of all of the in jokes that they included over the years.  There are loads of obvious ones but how many did we all miss?