Main Menu

Dark Judges Short Story Competition

Started by JohnOsborn, 26 January, 2016, 09:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnOsborn

Did any of you writer-types submit to the Megazine's recent short story comp?

The deadline was the 19th, but it was a fun opportunity to tell a done-in-one prose tale about the Dark Judges. Mine was a Death-centric story told from the first person POV of some down-on-his-luck perp.

What was your story about? And is there any word on when the winners get announced?

Lobo Baggins

I only spotted the announcement on the 16th but I did write something - however, I didn't submit it because it was supposed to be about the four Dark Judges and I'd written one about the Sisters of Death.

One day I may try reading the rules before I start things...
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Echidna

I'm sure they would have accepted a Sisters story...

I would have loved to submit something but as a latecomer to 2000 AD I didn't think I knew enough about the Dark Judges - my prog slog slowed down a bit over Christmas and I've only just finished reading Necropolis for the first time.* Right now I'm halfway through Young Death and I feel like I could manage a half-decent story - alas, too late.

I hope some more forum members submitted stories - there's some very talented folks on the forum and it would be great to see them in the Meg.

*Sooooo goooooood

Skinrash

Drokk! Must've missed it! What a shame, would've loved to write about Death & Co. Anyone got a link to more info about this contest?

hippynumber1

I had an outline for a story centering on Judge Fear based on a very Lynchian nightmare I had but got distracted finishing off my novel. I'm sure I'll be able to use it elsewhere but disappointed that I missed entering this one...

Joker

Quote from: JohnOsborn on 26 January, 2016, 09:05:22 AM
Did any of you writer-types submit to the Megazine's recent short story comp?

The deadline was the 19th, but it was a fun opportunity to tell a done-in-one prose tale about the Dark Judges. Mine was a Death-centric story told from the first person POV of some down-on-his-luck perp.

What was your story about? And is there any word on when the winners get announced?

Hey Yeah I entered, was wondering did you get a confirmation email when you entered? I sent mine on the 19th and am just a bit paranoid I missed the deadline or something,  Good luck btw

JohnOsborn

Quote from: Skinrash on 31 January, 2016, 10:51:47 AM
Drokk! Must've missed it! What a shame, would've loved to write about Death & Co. Anyone got a link to more info about this contest?

http://2000adonline.tumblr.com/post/136685203467/ssssssshort-ssssstory-competition-the-sssentence#.Vrco4ZOLTdQ

Quote from: Joker on 04 February, 2016, 12:46:12 PM
Hey Yeah I entered, was wondering did you get a confirmation email when you entered? I sent mine on the 19th and am just a bit paranoid I missed the deadline or something,  Good luck btw

I actually inquired about that and 2000 AD said that they weren't doing confirmations, but if you sent it they got it. They also told me that the winners would be announced in a forthcoming Meg, so that's exciting. Best of luck to you too!

Starkers

I entered a story told from the perspective of a Judge during Necropolis. It only really featured Death although all the other DJs, the Sisters and Dredd were name checked. Originally I'd planned a coda featuring a still crispy Dredd but just didn't have the word count left for it.

It was a lot of fun to write!