Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #1

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 21 November, 2012, 03:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

I bought two variants and felt it OK at best. Given this was the first issue something a bit more sunstantial than a fruit flinging tree should have been used. They may be tailoring to their market but if this was in the Meg I'd have it down as a weak issue. Indeed, and not to damn with faint praise, I've enjoyed fanzine strips more. I will possibly keep buying out of interest but I don't see this as cannon and therefore subject to droppage - be careful now!

Professor Bear

I seem to be waving the flag for him a bit so let me offer up front that I think John Byrne is either a total cock of a man, or has done a flawless impression of one on the internet for the last decade.  Having said that, I read the final part of one of his DC Dredds and admit the way Byrne paid off the idea that Dredd would turn on the law* was - IMO - a decent one that would have worked well in the 1970-1980s era of the strip (or a latter-day Dreddworld spinoff).  The rest of it could have been terrible, all the same, but what I did see was promising, if skewed towards the atmosphere and approach of earlier 2000ad (and Byrne has said as much that he hasn't seen much of the book or Dredd since that period).
The art was a bit hit and miss, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of his writing if he decided to take a crack at the character again.

*[spoiler] The judge was an Apocalypse War vet who had terminal cancer who agreed to be publicly "murdered" in the line of duty by Dredd - rather than quietly euthanized - in order to sell that Dredd had turned on Justice Department.[/spoiler]  An extreme and heartless plan, but it rings true of some of JD's earlier excesses, and is kinda sorta how[spoiler] McGruder[/spoiler] went out, too.

Frank

Quote from: Buttonman on 26 November, 2012, 06:59:06 PM
I will possibly keep buying out of interest but I don't see this as cannon and therefore subject to droppage - be careful now!

No letters page then?

COMMANDO FORCES

I asked IDW a while back if they would do one and they said it's something they will think about! We have to beat Buttonman into it :lol:

Buttonman

Looking at offers at the moment and let's just say it highly lkely that I may indeed write in, although whether the letters will be Beast worthy is up for debate. (they won't be)

Pete Wells

My millions of issues turned up today. I like the shiny badge cover and have somehow managed to order two of the limited Disposable Heroes cover, cock that I am.

I'll put Carlos' linework up on my blog later in the week, once Frank has had a bit of time to settle in...

Spikes

Quote from: Pete Wells on 26 November, 2012, 10:26:41 PM
I'll put Carlos' linework up on my blog later in the week

Ah, nice one. Peepers peeled for that.

COMMANDO FORCES

The badge cover is nice but the Carlos cover shows the barrel being a wee bit too big for the magazine that the Lawgiver holds, otherwise it's the best cover!

BPP

IDW have Ashley Wood on speed-dial and, thus one suspects via their ThreeA hook-up, Rufus. Either of those being involved would up the standard immeasurably. Not that IDW need bring in brits... there is a wealth of talent over there, I just don't see it on the page in this product. It would have been nice if IDW's Dredd was of the DHP, BRPD standard but its nowhere near, not even batting in the same ballpark. US comics have had some great Sci-fi of late, some premier league stuff, some interesting failures. The art team behind the recently finished Debris could have brought a nice take on MC1 for instance. I have to hold my hands up and say I just don't 'get' why they have gone the route they have. The more I look at it the more I am bewildered.

As for people saying 'its like a dodgy Meg effort'... good god, the Meg's Dredd often has beaten the Prog the last few years, I can't think the last 'dodgy' Meg Dredd there was - the off-coloured Kev Walker 'worm' thing or the JHD 'western' Dredd. Long time ago.  IDW's Dredd has nowhere near the professional scripting and art skills the Meg has been delivering.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

SuperSurfer

I keep on coming across further variants of the Dredd cover online. Find it rather confusing. IDW don't seem to have much on their website about Dredd – unless I am looking in the wrong place.

Robert Frazer

Have any US reviews started to appear yet? A Google search offers up a few positive posts from some Stateside bloggers, but I haven't seen anything from the important outlets yet. Ultimately we're irrelevant - their opinion matters far more in ensuring IDW's comic will be a success.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 27 November, 2012, 02:03:20 AMUltimately we're irrelevant - their opinion matters far more in ensuring IDW's comic will be a success.

I think our opinion still matters. STILL haven't received mine from Disposable Heroes.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, our opinion matters big time. If hellblazer sells only 9000 copies a month, i'd say the uk fans' opinions matter just as much as the americans about all comics. We seem to buy more of their comics than they do!

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 27 November, 2012, 11:52:28 AM
We seem to buy more of their comics than they do!

I strongly doubt that. I would imagine direct sales through UK comic shops barely amounts to a rounding error on most books.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

The UK Spider-Man reprint title sells more verifiable copies each month than the US' Amazing Spider-Man.  I have a personal theory that a lot of those go to overseas customers, though.