South Bank Show: Manga Mania

Started by Adrian Bamforth, 20 February, 2006, 12:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Bamforth

The South Bank Show  

11:10pm - 12:10am
ITV1 London

Manga Mania

Melvyn Bragg travels to Japan to investigate the country's obsession with Manga, the world's richest graphic arts culture. A whopping 40 percent of everything published in Japan is Manga, and its presence is now being felt around the world. Hollywood seeks inspiration from the art form while in the UK it is increasingly seen as British cool and features in advertising, pop videos and feature films.

ADE

philt

Wouldn't it be nice if the South Bank show (or equivalent) had a programme about the Galaxies Greatest - you know the most influencial comic of the past 30 years.

The Amstor Computer

The 1990s called - they want their documentary back...

Quirkafleeg

Nothing new (well bar the brief stuff on the Brit animation houses being manga influenced) but I had several 'I've been there!' moments.

Adrian Bamforth

Damn, forgot to watch it myself. The South Bank Show tends to run into problems when it strays from the traditional arts and attempts to do popular culture: Their Smiths documentary years back was good but the last pop band featured was The Darkness. Whoops.

ADE

Dudley

In the last 25 minutes, the Gorillaz featured more than any other single animation.

This doc did persuade me that I want to see Ghost in the Shell.  (Mind you, that piece in the Meg a while back persuaded me I want to see it, then I never did anything about it).

Art

the Gorillaz

Eh? That's pretty much all Jamie Hewletts work isn't it?

This smacks a little of "We've just discovered Manga therefore anything that looks liek a cartoon is called Manga now".

Art

the Galaxies Greatest - you know the most influencial comic of the past 30 years.

Heh. I think you're severelly overestimating the extent to which popular culture still gives a toss about 2000AD :-)

Roger Godpleton

At the start, Bragg said words to the effect of "It's only very recently that the West has looked for Manga for inspiration". Then I turned off.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

W. R. Logan

>This doc did persuade me that I want to see Ghost in the Shell. (Mind you, that piece in the Meg a while back persuaded me I want to see it, then I never did anything about it)

SATURDAY 04 MARCH

Ghost in the Shell
10:00pm - 11:40pm
ITV4
Widescreen

Including Entertainment News Update at 10.55

Adult Japanese animation set in a city of the future as a female cyborg investigates a mysterious criminal who is invading the information superhighways of the 21st century.

Directed by: Mamoru Oshii
Filmed in: 1995

or

TUESDAY 07 MARCH

Ghost in the Shell
11:50pm - 1:30am
ITV4
Widescreen

Including Entertainment News Update at 12.45

Adult Japanese animation set in a city of the future as a female cyborg investigates a mysterious criminal who is invading the information superhighways of the 21st century.

Directed by: Mamoru Oshii
Filmed in: 1995

Link: http://www.manga.com/ghost/" target="_blank">Ghost In The Shell

http://www.manga.com/ghost/gallery/galleryfull000.jpg">

Art

The TV series is boring as hell though, so worth avoiding.

The Amstor Computer

Uhhh, no. There are some duff episodes, but the Ghost In The Shell series is definitely worth picking up when they release the first season boxset later this year.

I'm really looking forward to 2nd Gig, and I should be getting the first disc of that plus The Shield Season 2 in the next fortnight.