Main Menu

TOM FRAME - OUR DROID

Started by +rufus+, 14 July, 2006, 10:14:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

+rufus+

I'm sorry to inform you all that Tom passed away this morning, at 7AM, on the 14th of July.
  His son was with him at his side.
  Tom was a truly lovely man, a real character, a great friend to many of our favourite Artists and Writers, and one of our longest serving Droids.
 It'd be really nice if we could acknowledge his often unsung contribution to our favourite Comicbook.
 A letter to the Nerve Centre perhaps...
   I'll try and help arrange a tribute to this Comic Great in the proceeding week.
  Good bye Tom, see you at the bar.

Rufus

Dark Jimbo

Aw shit, that's really sad. I did not so long ago write a letter to the Meg when they were doing their articles on artists and writers asking if they could do one on Tom, who I thought was a bit of an unsung hero - but it obviously never happened.

He definately deserves some sort of tribute, though. Well done Rufus.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Amstor Computer

Aw, no. That's terrible news, Rufus. His part in the prog may have seemed trivial, but I - and I suspect many other readers - always appreciated his contribution to 2000AD.

Hopefully his passing will be noted by Tharg & Co., and if you have any contact with his family, please let them know how much his work was appreciated.

petemaskreplica

That's very sad news :(

I have fond memories of meeting him in the pub at Dreddcon 3.

Buddy

Sorry to hear this, don't know what else to say....

I, Cosh

Jeez. That is very sad. Not someone you automatically think of when listing the greats, yet seeing his name in the credits week in, week out for as long as I can remember was always kind of reassuring.

My thoughts are with his family.
We never really die.

Steve Green

That's really sad news, condolences to Tom's family and friends.

- Steve

Wake

Both time I met him twice he was very friendly - a charming man to talk to. He must have worked on more pages than any other single creator in the history of 2000AD - many more of course than the 278 he is currently credited for on this site.

No one lives for ever but that doesn't stop us wishing.

Wake

Dudley

What awful, sad news.  I never met Mr Frame but did read a couple of short interviews with him and he seems to have been a lovely man.  As Mike Collins once said:

"Tom's no-nonsense, finely spaced, tall text is as much a part of Mega City One's environment as Dredd's helmet or badge."

That should stand as his memorial here.

http://www.2000adonline.com/images/page/tomf.jpg">

Bolt-01

Aw hell.

I'd noticed that annie was lettering Dredd for the last few weeks and wondered if tom was just enjoying a long earned holiday. Never would I have expected this.

Very sorry to read this news.

Tom is a massive part of the history of 2000ad and an irreplacable talent.

Bolt-01

Rob Spalding

Woolly

Aww no. If someone could please pass my condolences to his family, i'd appreciate it. He was as much a part of 2000AD as Dredd himself.

It sounds like a bad pun considering, but i am speechless.

LARF

This is really sad.

Tom Frame was as much a part of 2000AD and especially Dredd and I consider him to be as much a part of the creation of the character as Esquerra and Wagner.

I remember the pictures that Ian Gibson(?) drew of the droids and T Frame was playing snooker with a T-frame straight edge rule and ever since I always imagined him looking like that.

He was as much a part of my 'growing up with comics' as all the other artists and writers and was, in a way, quite an enigma and a highly skilled draughtsman who, although not in the limelight, was part of the foundation of 2000AD and will always be considered by me to be the best letterer I've ever had the pleasure to read.

God bless and my thoughts are with his family.

Woolly

"Tom's no-nonsense, finely spaced, tall text is as much a part of Mega City One's environment as Dredd's helmet or badge."

That should stand as his memorial here."

Here here. Couldnt agree more.