Main Menu

Marvel comics

Started by ukdane, 15 January, 2008, 02:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroxian

I've got a Marvel Unlimited subscription, which is great for reading all the old crossovers without spending huge sums of money on Graphic Novels :) Even with the reduced £:$ it's still great value.

But yeah, Post Secret War it's not been as good. I think Marvel Comics have been told to play down any non-MCU property, so Mutants now aren't as prominent (replaced with Inhumans, just like in the MCU), and the lack of the Fantastic Four makes me sad :(

Loving Squirrel Girl though :D

Tjm86

That's up there with a Christian quoting their favourite selective verses from the Bible about homosexuality.  A total own goal.  It's up there with an atheist quoting from Dawkins.  Considering people's view of Islam as an intolerant faith based on the comments and actions of an active, vocal and sometimes homicidal minority this shows very poor judgement on the part of the artist in question.  Having said that, surely we are all entitled to the odd mistake. The question really now is will he take on board feedback and choose a more appropriate way of handling his views?

Greg M.

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 April, 2017, 07:42:35 AM
Having said that, surely we are all entitled to the odd mistake.

I don't imagine Marvel will take that line. The article talks about 'disciplinary action' - I would be very surprised if they continued to employ him.

Smith

Yeah,im afraid this is it for his comic career.At least with any major publisher.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Pyroxian on 06 April, 2017, 10:25:48 AMI've got a Marvel Unlimited subscription, which is great for reading all the old crossovers without spending huge sums of money on Graphic Novels :) Even with the reduced £:$ it's still great value.
I'd like to take a crack at that, but, alas, the app still has motion sickness triggers throughout. (I've again written to them with feedback.)

Link Prime

I wouldn't download a modern Marvel comic if it was literally free, but man, there are some solid gold bargains regarding the vintage stuff on Amazon.co.uk right now.
Never read the full run of classic Excalibur, the lot will set you back the price of a coffee and sambo at the moment.

Greg M.

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 June, 2017, 10:27:51 AM
I wouldn't download a modern Marvel comic if it was literally free

Not even an Al Ewing one? Oh Link, truly your Marvel Zombie-dom is behind you. I'm still manning the battlements alone, crying "Excelsior!" whilst the pull-list shrinks and shrinks...

Smith

Crying Excelsior or just crying? :|

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 02 June, 2017, 12:20:28 PM
Oh Link, truly your Marvel Zombie-dom is behind you.

There is literally nothing they could do to win me back as a customer at this stage.

I'd snub Fantastic Four 646 by Moore & Gibbons if it was 99p.

SuperSurfer

The last Marvel comic I bought was a Captain America pocket book for £3 from some cheapo bookshop.

Art by Steranko, Sinnott, Kirby, Palmer, Romita, Buscema, Colan. What more could someone want?

Lettering by the legend Artie Simek.

Story? Load of tosh, in particular [spoiler]the bit where Captain America was turned into the Red Skull then after many episodes he realised he was wearing a mask that he was able to take off[/spoiler]. Dialogue hackneyed and melodramatic. And cosmic cube my ****.

But a whole load of fun and on the basis of that and in particular the art I rate it as brilliant.

Other than that, I can't remember the last time I bought a Marvel comic. Of no interest.

Colin YNWA

Yep there's some REAL bargains to be had at the Kindle Store right now. I've finally bought The Visions - all twelve issues for like £4.50, All of the Waid DD issues I lost touch with (after the first run finished and they stopped doing those cool little hardcovers) £5.80 - got the first volume of the new run by Soule to try that as well. Ellis Excalibur which I've never read for £4.30 and finally (well for now I'm checking out Ewing's stuff none of which had caught my eye before now, but at these prices...) The Allred Silver Surfer stuff, no big fan of Slott but Allred, Silver Surfer, crazy cheap, has to be worth trying right?

Nice deals to be had!

Smith

Seeing its Tom King,you were probably ripped off.

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 02 June, 2017, 02:42:32 PM
The Allred Silver Surfer stuff, no big fan of Slott but Allred, Silver Surfer, crazy cheap, has to be worth trying right?

I am a big fan of Slott, but whilst I like his Surfer, I don't like it quite as much as I want to. The art is, of course, wonderful - if nothing else, you've got your money's worth there - but the dynamic between Mr Radd and his companion is extremely NuWho, and their relationship is very much the focus of the comic. Problem is, I don't find Dawn Greenwood that interesting - a bit too much in the 'plucky ordinary girl brings her homespun Earth wisdom to space' / Rose Tyler mould.

The Adventurer

Quote from: Link Prime on 02 June, 2017, 10:27:51 AM
I wouldn't download a modern Marvel comic if it was literally free, but man, there are some solid gold bargains regarding the vintage stuff on Amazon.co.uk right now.
Never read the full run of classic Excalibur, the lot will set you back the price of a coffee and sambo at the moment.

The sales are on the North American Amazon as well. 3 bucks for Masterworks is an insane deal.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK