Main Menu

Was there ANY news of the Dredd movie at Bristol??

Started by Buddy, 17 May, 2011, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scanner

QuoteSeriously why should a private film company tell us anything yet until it's ready? There is absolutely nothing abnormal with there not being any news/pictures at this time, IT WON'T BE OUT FOR A YEAR! We aren't working for them, they don't owe us anything, we are the same as any punters. Releasing anything now is obviously not part of the intended schedule which is not only designed around impatient fanboys.

Playing devil's advocate, you could argue the opposite. What's 2000AD's readership? Taking a wild guess, let's say 20,000 people read 2000AD each week, and let's say 10,000 of them buy the Judge Dredd Megazine. That's 20,000 potential people paying to see 'Dredd' when its released. If a percentage of the fans - the readers of 20000AD - feel DNA and others aren't bothering to release anything then it can give the impression, rightly or wrongly, they (DNA) are not interested in what fans think. If fans feel shortchanged by a lack of publicity/promotion, you think people that have no interest in Judge Dredd will care about the film? I doubt it.

Releasing one or two official stills - not some blurred photocamera image - wouldn't harm the production, even if it the film is a year from release. Jock can say

Quoteit's logistical and simply a matter of time.

but one or two stills from a film uploaded onto the net would hardly take time. Proper photos, I mean. It's easy to screencapture a scene from the film, from the edited rushes, and upload the image onto the net. One decent image of Urban as Judge Dredd, a proper image with decent lighting, decent resolution, could promote the film far better than a "let's stay totally silent" approach from DNA.

In fact, it wouldn't take much time for DNA to register on this forum and do a Question and Answer session. Fans could put forward some questions and one of the DNA producers could answer. This wouldn't take 'time' or be a logistical problem, other than the producer spending half an hour reading the questions and getting someone to type up his replies and post them on the forum. As the film is in post production it should be no problem for the producers to talk about the film, the potential release date, the design of the uniform etc.

It wouldn't harm 'Dredd's chances of success if DNA did one Q&A session with the fans. This wouldn't take long to do and I'm sure DNA's producers could spare half an hour of their busy schedule to do it. If DNA want to distance 'Dredd' from the fans it will not help the film's chances of box office success.

Peter Wolf

The promotion of this film really should involve creating a website along the lines of what was done with District 9 as its a very effective way of generating interest especially if it doesnt give much away  [keep them guessing and they will always come back for more] as its a good way of getting the interest of non-fans plus the fact the internet is just about the most effective way of promoting anything as it guarantees massive coverage for very little outlay as all you have are the costs of creating the website and the cost of web hosting etc.

Perhaps this idea is what is being considered already but i am not to know so its a suggestion anyways.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

JOE SOAP

Quote from: scanner on 18 May, 2011, 11:23:15 PMPlaying devil's advocate, you could argue the opposite. What's 2000AD's readership? Taking a wild guess, let's say 20,000 people read 2000AD each week, and let's say 10,000 of them buy the Judge Dredd Megazine. That's 20,000 potential people paying to see 'Dredd' when its released.

Which is a tiny fraction of a percentage of the expected film-going audience.

Quotebut one or two stills from a film uploaded onto the net would hardly take time.

plenty of time in a year to do that, what's the rush?

blackmocco

Quote from: scanner on 18 May, 2011, 11:23:15 PM
QuoteSeriously why should a private film company tell us anything yet until it's ready? There is absolutely nothing abnormal with there not being any news/pictures at this time, IT WON'T BE OUT FOR A YEAR! We aren't working for them, they don't owe us anything, we are the same as any punters. Releasing anything now is obviously not part of the intended schedule which is not only designed around impatient fanboys.

Playing devil's advocate, you could argue the opposite. What's 2000AD's readership? Taking a wild guess, let's say 20,000 people read 2000AD each week, and let's say 10,000 of them buy the Judge Dredd Megazine. That's 20,000 potential people paying to see 'Dredd' when its released. If a percentage of the fans - the readers of 20000AD - feel DNA and others aren't bothering to release anything then it can give the impression, rightly or wrongly, they (DNA) are not interested in what fans think. If fans feel shortchanged by a lack of publicity/promotion, you think people that have no interest in Judge Dredd will care about the film? I doubt it.

Releasing one or two official stills - not some blurred photocamera image - wouldn't harm the production, even if it the film is a year from release. Jock can say

Quoteit's logistical and simply a matter of time.

but one or two stills from a film uploaded onto the net would hardly take time. Proper photos, I mean. It's easy to screencapture a scene from the film, from the edited rushes, and upload the image onto the net. One decent image of Urban as Judge Dredd, a proper image with decent lighting, decent resolution, could promote the film far better than a "let's stay totally silent" approach from DNA.

In fact, it wouldn't take much time for DNA to register on this forum and do a Question and Answer session. Fans could put forward some questions and one of the DNA producers could answer. This wouldn't take 'time' or be a logistical problem, other than the producer spending half an hour reading the questions and getting someone to type up his replies and post them on the forum. As the film is in post production it should be no problem for the producers to talk about the film, the potential release date, the design of the uniform etc.

It wouldn't harm 'Dredd's chances of success if DNA did one Q&A session with the fans. This wouldn't take long to do and I'm sure DNA's producers could spare half an hour of their busy schedule to do it. If DNA want to distance 'Dredd' from the fans it will not help the film's chances of box office success.

And most likely all the things you suggest here will indeed happen but not a year before it's released!

Nobody's distancing anyone from anything. DNA is most likely anticipating a giant portion of box office returns will be from Dredd fans (or at least people familiar with the title) so it's not really in their interest to piss the fans off. Practically everything that's leaked has been nailed to the wall so it's to DNA's (and ours!) advantage that they wait til the movie's finished. They may not even have a marketing strategy in place yet. Everyone's just being impatient. No movie releases stuff this early in the process, not even the summer blockbusters.

Look at X-Men: First Class and the absolute disaster they had with their initial marketing campaign. Lame trailers and dreadful posters. Laughing stock until they fixed it all up. That's a 20th Century Fox summer tentpole movie and we saw nothing clear from it until two, maybe three months ago. Dredd's been made for a fraction of that budget and you can be certain it'll have far less for marketing. When they do, they'll need to give everyone a short, sharp shock so there's no point complaining here about it. It's going to be a while before we see anything, I would think.

Everyone just needs to take a chill pill...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Emperor

No need to report scanner, he is already banned.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 May, 2011, 08:47:14 PM
What's wrong with waiting, like we used to?

We'll be sick of it this time next year.

Indeed. Back in the day at this point we might not even know there was a Dredd film in the works unless we followed movie magazines and we'd be happy to wait until the publicity starts rolling. Now with the Internet we are able to access the smallest bit of gossip and, worse, as fans some people seem to feel the movie folks owe them glimpses behind the curtain, when they are going to do what is best for the film to try and maximise the number of people who see the film (which will be ultimately good for 2000 AD and that'll be good for us fans too). I'm not sure why people feel the movie studios should respond to their demands.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Richmond Clements

QuoteI'm not sure why people feel the movie studios should respond to their demands.

It's that good old internet sense of entitlement!
It's the same thing that allows people to explain just what George Lucas is doing wrong with a property he owns.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

strontium71

Strange to think that next year , at the time of Hi-Ex , it'll all be over (assuming it's a Christmas release) and the DVD will be coming out.
...because I hate you.

radiator

Quote(assuming it's a Christmas release)

It's not coming out until Spring 2012.

Dandontdare

Quote from: radiator on 19 May, 2011, 01:34:17 PM

So if Hi-Ex could secure some sort of exclusive pre-release preview, how arsom would that be?

Buddy

Quote from: radiator on 19 May, 2011, 01:34:17 PM

Wow... over a year in post production. This film should look spectacular.

Trout

If John Wagner and Jock say it's promising, that's good enough for me. It seems a bit unfair to criticise a low-budget film for not doing PR before it's even finished.

Calm down, chaps.

- Trout

radiator

QuoteWow... over a year in post production. This film should look spectacular.

I'm no expert, but that sounds about normal to me for this sort of film - I always thought the 'Dec 1st 2011' date on IMDB seemed optimistic.

Emperor

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 May, 2011, 12:47:42 PM
Quote from: Emperor on 19 May, 2011, 12:23:44 PM
No need to report scanner, he is already banned.

Where's my fiver?

It's now Molch-R's fiver, as he beat you to it by hours. He has pockets you can't pick without a stepladder too.

Also if we give out fivers every time Scojo appears, Rebellion would go bust in a month.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

mogzilla