Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pegasus P Artichoke

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 January, 2017, 06:47:47 AM
Quote from: Greg M. on 27 January, 2017, 09:44:35 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 January, 2017, 10:26:34 PM
Nothing deep or anything but really funny, good honest fun in a well I just love to explore in.

Got to the Aunt Kizzie backstory issue yet? One of the very best single issues of The Goon, and quite different in tone: I might have had something in my eye reading that one...

No yet.

Anyway has The Spirit - Corpse-maker come out and I've missed it. Can't find it in the wild but seems to be out?

I think it might be out next week, the 1st
We'll give them back their heroes

Colin YNWA

Arh yeah thinks. Having just checked the releases for next week from my LCS just seen you are right. I forgot its actually listed as Will Eisners' The Spirit of course.

Thanks for the pointer.

Hawkmumbler

Now, here's something I wasn't expecting. Naoshi Komi, the man behind the atrocity that was Nisekoi, penned a 50 page, self contained, poingnent and charming and funny romcom. I'm genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed Toki Doki, especially considering how man of the tropes of the genre it adhered to.

Colin YNWA

A few ups and downs with my latest haul. Starting with the starting Kamandi Challenge 1 . I'm a sulker for all things 70s Kirby and with Dan Abnett writing this interesting experiment (for those that know DC Challenge, its like that but with Kamandi) its gotta be a winner right... right... well no it didn't really work for me. Still with the variety of creators coming I guess they'll be some up and downs, just didn't expect it to start down!

I'm just not enjoy the src continuing in Moongirl and Devil Dinosaur 15 its team-up format should work, but feels laboured. The short tied in vignettes of Black Hammer Annual 1 is an oft used trope for this type of thing and here gives this otherwise perfect series its first dip, its just not that good, not compared to the brilliance of the rest.

Glad to report Tarzan on the Planet of the Apes 5 recovers from its dip in the excellent series finale and returns the story to the greatmess found in the first 2 issues. Kong of Skull Island 7 starts a new arc on fine ape tales form too.

They're Not Like Us 13 sees a long awaited return and alas now requires a long to wait for re-read to get me back into my stride I suspect. Island 14 suffers from long breaks as well and top spot this month goes to the superb Pop Gun War but I think I'd have enjoyed it so much more if read as one. The rest is pretty hit and miss. Invisible Republic 14 also would benefit from re-read (of the series that is). Its so densely packed and tightly weaven that this series also suffers from breaks.

The last 4 books all could stake a well deserved claim for book of the haul. Hillbilly 5 is just a delight. Kings Cross 3 is cracking fun, if I'm a little unfussed by the art. Black Road 6 shows how a new arc should start and is frankly magnificent and if it wasn't for the equally glorious new arc start in Kill or be Killed 5. I think KobK gets it just based on a simply supreme cliffhanger. Way to hang that cliff Brubaker and Phillips!

Link Prime

Vampirella is getting re-launched this week; http://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513025568600011

Wouldn't normally be my bag, but I did notice that it's by erstwhile Megazine writer Paul Cornell and new Art Droid Wunderkind Jimmy Broxton.
And it's €0.25.

Pegasus P Artichoke

This week it was Transformers Lost Light 2

Formerly known as Transformers More Than Meets The Eye but had to change name due to a new cartoon show...I think

I have been enjoying this comic as Roberts can blend comedy and drama really well. This issue is all about setting up future plot points I feel so be interesting to see how it all plays out eventually

The only thing is Milne isn't doing the art at the moment so it's taking a wee while to adjust to the new artist, not that it's bad in anyway but just a bit different but I am sure I'll get used to it before long

Colin YNWA

Mini haul from the 40th Bash. Picked up Cap'n Dinosaur by Kek-W and Shaky Kane, from the endlessly plesent Mr errr W, Mr... Kek, from Kek-W and its a fun superhero pashiche... but didn't feel that fresh. It felt like so much I'd read before and didn't really have the space to develop beyond that. Still chock full of ideas and of course looked fantastic.

Rok of the Reds 5 on the other hand, bought from the endlessly signing John Wagner sat next to the seemingly baffled Dan Cornwell, apparently too modest to realise why he's getting the praise he is. Well look at your comic Dan its bloody great and not just 'cos Mr Wagner and Mr Grant develop an utterly satisfying dollop of fantastic boys own fun thrust into modernity NO not just that but also cos Dan's art the absolute perfect accompaniment to their script. Its comfortable and familar, utter routed in the comics of our past, yet at the same time fresh and with a confidence that grows issue to issue. Just look at that fantastic panel in the kitchen.

Can't wait to see you in the Prog Mr Cornwell.

sheldipez

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 January, 2017, 12:31:08 PM
Vampirella is getting re-launched this week; http://dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513025568600011

Wouldn't normally be my bag, but I did notice that it's by erstwhile Megazine writer Paul Cornell and new Art Droid Wunderkind Jimmy Broxton.
And it's €0.25.

Cheers for this; just went to look this up on comiXology to find it's completley free there.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheldipez on 15 February, 2017, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 January, 2017, 12:31:08 PM

And it's €0.25.

Cheers for this; just went to look this up on comiXology to find it's completley free there.

And cheers for the heads up that its free on Comixology- will download later.

The Adventurer

Warren Ellis and Jo-Davis Hurt's new series The Wild Storm is out. I liked it quite a bit, mostly because it clearly appears to be outside the DCU (I hope) and seems to really be taking the Wildstorm Universe appart and reassembling in a far more interesting way. Also it looks great, Hurt has really stepped up his game.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Pegasus P Artichoke

Two for me this week

First was Animosity 5 still really enjoying this and feel that the creators have really came up with something that can be taken in almost any direction. Very good stuff and as always building and growing very nicely

Unfollow 16 man oh man Rob Williams has written something very special here, a great issue and you get the feeling that it's coming to a head now

Colin YNWA

When the Prog and Meg are on the form they are at the moment the rest of the comic world needs to seriously up its game to get out of Tharg's shadow. To reflect this I'm using the Lawless scale to Judge my latest haul. To explain any comic that's as good as Lawless gets a 1 on the Lawless scale. If you've half as good you get 0.5 Lawlesses, twice as good you'd get 2 Lawlesses ... and I'd be forced to leave my family and start a very strange and ultimately destructive relationship with a comic.

So yeah all got it... good lets go.

First up this haul is the much looked forward to The Spirit - Corpse-Makers 1 by the genuinely fantastic Francesco Francavilla and I was SO excited by this comic and to be honest it doesn't let me down, which if you knew the levels of expectations I had would astonish you. It does what many of the best Eisner Spirits do and sets our led in the background and spends more time with other protagonists. That said the best moment in the story is the quite beautiful first panel with The Spirit grinning as Dolan gets into his car. Just Francavilla at his best. A cracking 0.8 Lawlesses for this one.

War Stories 22 gives us an uncharacteristically upbeat end to a story, with alas characteristically sub standard art 0.5 Lawlesses. Doctor Who 11th 3rd 2nd (for chuffs sake) provides a nice introduction and a return I enjoyed 0.65 Lawlesses. Kong of Skull Island 8 is nice on the eye but doesn't seem to move us on too much from last time 0.6 Lawlesses. Flash Gordon - Kings Cross 4 continues to be great fun 0.65 Lawlesses

They're Not Like Us 14 is starting to put this comics back to the heights of its first 6 issues, I do wonder if I found time to re-read it all again it'd be right up there with the best 0.7 Lawlesses. While Paper Girls 11 starts a new arc well... except the whole giant sloth thing didn't read well. Arh its a big threat... arh its thrown our friend in the river.... oh lets forget about the giant sloth thing 0.7 Lawlesses

This leaves us with the very best of this or any other haul (well given I've covered The Spirit already). The Flintstones 8 continues to be the most glorious satire of modern life you could imagine how this comics manages to be what it is a modern imagining of a 60s kids cartoon AND this good is beyond me.  0.85 lawlesses. Unfollow 16 heads us sharply towards our conclusion and the last page alone earns this one another 0.5 Lawlesses bringing it to a total of 0.85 Lawlesses. Last we have another majestic comic in Kill of be Killed 6 with a beautifully playful episode introducing a refreshing new take on the otherwise tied and cynical cop cliche and some great narration, another mightly 0.85 Lawlesses scored here.

So there you have it scientific evidence AND YES THIS WAS SCIENTIFIC OKAY that even the very, very best of comics outside of Tharg's domain and these were some very very good comics are only 85% as good as Tharg at his best. Comic of the haul is of course therefore Lawless.

Hawkmumbler

And you wrote all THAT without making a single Lucy Lawless joke. :lol:

Tjm86

Well, chewed through my monthly haul at an obscene pace.  Considering the cost I reckon a culling is in order.  Amazing Spider Man really has lost it.  Much as I enjoyed Superior, this has nothing.  Star Wars continues to intrigue, particularly with the current Yoda storyline. 

Guilty pleasure / addiction fix of the X titles is a bit of a mixed bag.  Waiting for the graphic novel of Inhumans vs X-men and not having fully followed the sequence of events that has led to the current situation means that some of this is baffling.  And this is talking as someone who has followed the X for nearly 30 years.  Perhaps the forthcoming reboot will help make sense.  Or maybe now is time to give it up as a lost cause.

High point of the month has to be the second issue of Hookjaw.  Mr Spurrier is playing around with the usual tropes with his cast from the Abyss.  Some of this is shaping up to be fairly predictable but I look forward to being mistaken on that score.  I do wonder whether the anthropomorphisation of Hookjaw is helpful though.  Its presence as a looming force in the original (pre ban) series gave it a degree of ambiguity.  Is it really necessary to have its thoughts filtering through?

Honorable mention also goes to the double helping of Walking Dead where the threat gets really real and Negan proves to be a much more interesting character.  I need to go back and read the last year or so again to see where all the pieces have been moving.

I am however going to agree with Colin; at the moment American comics are a pale shadow of home grown talent and the exchange rate aint helping neither.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 February, 2017, 08:46:26 PM

First up this haul is the much looked forward to The Spirit - Corpse-Makers 1 by the genuinely fantastic Francesco Francavilla

I picked it up too, entirely due to Francavilla (never really got into The Spirit, new or old).
Great comic.

The much lauded Lake of Fire collection is due to hit the shelves this Wednesday- looking forward to that one.