Is there any satire in this film?

Started by ABCwarBOT, 19 June, 2012, 06:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 10:04:01 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 19 June, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 07:45:54 PM
That's more fan-wank than satire.
I'm not sure of the percentages of fan-wank to satire on this. But that 'Prometheus' is used there as the name of a block (at this time) is probably referencing the film 'Prometheus' and not the Titan. So I would say that's a nod in the direction of the humour we've come to expect in Dredd stories that make light of public figures and current events by referencing them. It's evidence of a type of humour that may prove to be satirical.

If Prometheus block is a ridiculously expensive folly, based on the design of a previous- more popular- building, and the first in a development of three magnificent edifices- that no-one actually wanted to go and live in, and were thus never completed- then that's satire.

If it's just a block name in the background, it's Quentin Tarantino's definition of fan-wank: "Commissioner Landis? This is Captain Cronenberg at the precinct house on the corner of Browning and Romero ..."
I have completely misinterpreted the situation, I apologise unreservedly. This definition is knew to me. In the mid-1980's a story ran in which a prisoner was released from an iso-cube. His name was Casey Steach. This story ran in 2000AD around the time of the release of the actor Stacey Keach who had been imprisoned in the UK on cocaine charges, he was inside a year, I think. Would this be classed as Fan-Wank?
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

Quote from: BOODA on 19 June, 2012, 10:12:55 PM
I'm not sure of the percentages of fan-wank to satire on this. But that 'Prometheus' is used there as the name of a block (at this time) is probably referencing the film 'Prometheus' and not the Titan. So I would say that's a nod in the direction of the humour we've come to expect in Dredd stories that make light of public figures and current events by referencing them. It's evidence of a type of humour that may prove to be satirical.

If Prometheus block is a ridiculously expensive folly, based on the design of a previous- more popular- building, and the first in a development of three magnificent edifices- that no-one actually wanted to go and live in, and were thus never completed- then that's satire.

If it's just a block name in the background, it's Quentin Tarantino's definition of fan-wank: "Commissioner Landis? This is Captain Cronenberg at the precinct house on the corner of Browning and Romero ..."
I have completely misinterpreted the situation, I apologise unreservedly. This definition is knew to me. In the mid-1980's a story ran in which a prisoner was released from an iso-cube. His name was Casey Steach. This story ran in 2000AD around the time of the release of the actor Stacey Keach who had been imprisoned in the UK on cocaine charges, he was inside a year, I think. Would this be classed as Fan-Wank?

Spoonerism.

Spaceghost

Never mind satire, is there any slapstick in the new film?

Remember that story where Dredd gets a custard pie in the face? I want that to happen.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Frank

Quote from: Lee Bates on 19 June, 2012, 10:15:20 PM

Remember that story where Dredd gets a custard pie in the face? I want that to happen.

Fingers crossed for some ventriloquism, at least.

blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Frank

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 10:14:27 PM
Quote from: BOODA on 19 June, 2012, 10:12:55 PM

Spoonerism.
A play on words right enough. But referencing Keach / Steach, both exiting prison?...I'm sure 'Prometheus Block' will be in-line with Tarantino's fan-wank definition because it won't go anywhere, but these kinds of things have popped up in Dredd long before QT...and right back to Thackeray for that matter, but I'm sure it's perfectly apt for film-references within other films. Thanks for explaining the definition, a new one on me.

SKD

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 10:21:12 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 19 June, 2012, 10:15:20 PM

Fingers crossed for some ventriloquism, at least.

How about a comedy sidekick? ;)

Stew

Frank

All signifiers are mobile; their meanings subjective and contingent.

MR. ELIMINATOR

The talking turkey's would be good.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 10:44:23 PM
I must say you do this board proud, Bikini Kill, quoting a philosophical titan to snuff out the flames of my own Promethean folly! Well played.

darnmarr

Quote from: bikini kill on 19 June, 2012, 10:44:23 PM
For all its veracity;- this premise is useless, especially when it comes to formulating satire.

In answer to the thread-topic, there aint a whole pile of satire in the original script, so I reckon you can expect extreme subtlety on the humour/satire front.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 20 June, 2012, 12:40:53 AM
In answer to the thread-topic, there aint a whole pile of satire in the original script, so I reckon you can expect extreme subtlety on the humour/satire front.

Like Dirty Harry.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Adrian Bamforth

To be honest, I think the concept of Judge Dredd is inherently satirical.

I think for a movie you have to find a style and stick to it.