Main Menu

If DREDD is a success

Started by Beeks, 12 July, 2012, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Lockout, SBT... also how you know Statham would be good if you not see any films featured Statham?

JOE SOAP

Fiends of the Eastern Front, although it may have missed the vampire boat.

SmallBlueThing

I dont, but i know what kind of films he does, have a good idea of his range, know what harry 20 the movie should be like, and know the kind of actor i'd cast as harry. Im trying to fix an actor for sam slade at the moment, but am having difficulty. In a perfect world jim dale, circa carry on, or harry h corbett.

SBT

maryanddavid

QuoteSteve Buschemi as Feek
inspired!

I havnt paid a whole lot of attention to the Dredd film so far, I am really happy to see it getting good reviews.
If Dredd is a success, I hope its good. I hope its gives 2000ad a solid future, some spare cash to keep the current creators on the books and maybe bring a few back too.
The first Dredd damaged 2000ad, hopefully this one will secure its future.

Mark Taylor

Come to think of it they should just make every decent 2000AD character into a movie. There should also be a bottomless pit of money in order to achieve this.

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 July, 2012, 11:49:48 PMI dont, but i know what kind of films he does, have a good idea of his range, know what harry 20 the movie should be like, and know the kind of actor i'd cast as harry.

Though I imagine you look down upon the Transporter and Crank franchises as tawdry working class  indulgences, I'm surprised you haven't seen the Death Race remake yet, SBT - or Fortress 2.

Success with the cinematic Dredd might coax comics and movie superstar Mark Millar back to 2000ad to show us Dredd done right.  Personally, I pray for the day to come.

IndigoPrime

I imagine even a successful Dredd film will make little difference to 2000 AD. Bear in mind that blockbuster success stories barely impact on comic-book sales, so even a surprise hit in Dredd probably won't see 2000 AD's circulation soar. The prospect of more 2000 AD properties being optioned is perhaps more likely, although with most of them being unknown and a bit weird, they're more of a risk than Dredd (except, perhaps, Sláine, although that would have to fight comparisons with Conan).

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2012, 01:00:52 AM
(except, perhaps, Sláine, although that would have to fight comparisons with Conan).

And The Raid...

Probably

PreacherCain

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2012, 01:00:52 AM
I imagine even a successful Dredd film will make little difference to 2000 AD. Bear in mind that blockbuster success stories barely impact on comic-book sales, so even a surprise hit in Dredd probably won't see 2000 AD's circulation soar. The prospect of more 2000 AD properties being optioned is perhaps more likely, although with most of them being unknown and a bit weird, they're more of a risk than Dredd (except, perhaps, Sláine, although that would have to fight comparisons with Conan).

That's true of superhero films but not comic book films in general. Scott Pilgrim, The Walking Dead, Ghost World, American Splendor, Road to Perdition, 30 Days of Night and a few others have all benefitted quite a bit from film/TV adaptations. V For Vendetta and Watchmen too.

It's the Marvel/DC mainstream superheroes that can't seem to bring the film audiences to the source material. My opinion is because people aren't all that interested in reading superhero comics but are more than open to reading stuff like TWD and indie-type stuff. Also: Marvel/DC's insane continuity and multiple titles constantly rebooting/renumbering is just too confusing and bothersome. (Interestingly, Batman: Year One, TDKR and some other self-contained stories tend to sell quite well whenever a Batman film comes out!)

Danbo

What I would like ...

More Dredd spin offs like cartoons between movies

Strontium Dog film

Slaine film

Dreddy hot toys

Olivias phone number.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

PreacherCain

Dredd HBO series would be a dream come true. Room to do one-offs and larger arcs... HBO seem pretty into their genre-specific shows these days, I don't think a cable channel has ever done any sci-fi yet.

Button Man would be great. Wagner said recently that Nicholas Winding-Refn would be an ideal choice (he's rumoured to be involved in some way); Wagner hadn't seen any of his films when that rumour came out so he's clearly checked him out since then and (rightfully) likes what he sees!

A good Strontium Dog film, please. For some reason I see that as the next logical choice if Dredd works out.

Pretty sure there's a Cú Chulainn film in production at the moment so that might make Sláine less (or more?) likely!

Nikolai Dante would also make a great trilogy/series.

Leviathan, Cradlegrave and Necronauts would all be lovely.

And of course a D.R. and Quinch cartoon  :D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 July, 2012, 11:49:48 PM
Im trying to fix an actor for sam slade at the moment, but am having difficulty.

No contest: Nathan Fillion. He has the same sort avuncular charm that would have made James Garner the perfect choice thirty years ago...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: PreacherCain on 13 July, 2012, 05:21:57 AMLeviathan, Cradlegrave and Necronauts would all be lovely.

Not sure Cradlegrave would work on film. The 'big reveal' which the whole thing really hinges on is just too predictable, particularly if you're read any of the kind of Ramsay Campbell stories on which it's evidently modeled.

Mark Taylor

Not sure why my response above appeared inside the quote, it was not intentional.

Beeks

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 July, 2012, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 July, 2012, 11:49:48 PM
Im trying to fix an actor for sam slade at the moment, but am having difficulty.

No contest: Nathan Fillion. He has the same sort avuncular charm that would have made James Garner the perfect choice thirty years ago...

Cheers

Jim

Like I've mentioned before..Ted Danson was always Slade for me..he's cracking on abit now though which is a shame
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens