Main Menu

If DREDD is a success

Started by Beeks, 12 July, 2012, 09:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Arg. I didn't realise ASDA have been selling 2000AD all this time. It's been hidden right at the end on the back shelf. At least I know I can get it locally though.

Spikes

And its ASDA's for me every week. If it wasnt for them, i'd be fooked. Nowhere else seems to carry it.

Frank

Quote from: Judge Jack on 25 July, 2012, 08:44:02 PM
And its ASDA's for me every week. If it wasnt for them, i'd be fooked. Nowhere else seems to carry it.

I think my local Asda has only just started stocking 2000ad. Carlos's Durham Red cover was the first prog I'd seen in my wee toon for around fifteen years, and a good number of issues too- even if they were nestling in-between the computer game and fishing magazines. I'd assumed this was a result of some effort to capitalise on the release of the Dredd film.

I'd probably have given the odd issue or two a try during my last few years' absence if I'd been able to pick them up locally.

Stan

I've picked them up at random while comic trolling but I'd like to know when the current story is over so I don't jump in halfway through it.

Danbo

Quote from: Stan on 26 July, 2012, 06:47:56 PM
I've picked them up at random while comic trolling but I'd like to know when the current story is over so I don't jump in halfway through it.
Me too,also this 'Day of Chaos' story sounds great but I want to read it all rather than start half way/near the end.
Case files need to hurry up.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

PreacherCain

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 26 July, 2012, 07:17:10 PM
Me too,also this 'Day of Chaos' story sounds great but I want to read it all rather than start half way/near the end.

I think they're only publishing two case files a year now which is a shame. Would be nice if they upped it to three, if only so we could get through the rather 'meh' middle period we're stuck in at the moment... though I'm personally enjoying them more than I thought, possibly due to the added nostalgia thrill factor as I started reading 2000AD around that time!

Stan

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 26 July, 2012, 07:17:10 PM

Yeah, I don't think I can wait for the Case Files for that one. I've only just bought #2! It's nice that I now have two copies of Cursed Earth and Day The Law Died though.

Danbo

Read it last week.I'm now approaching Judge Deaths first appearance.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Emperor

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 July, 2012, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 July, 2012, 10:40:47 AMRegarding Walking Dead, which two people have now mentioned, are there records online of bumps in sales?

Bleeding Cool has regular articles on sales figures, and every one shows The Walking Dead GNs ascending to dominance on the back of the TV series. 

Ready example, but there are plenty with actual figures if you dig:  http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/25/walking-dead-represents-half-of-diamond-bookstore-sales/ 

Given the simplicity of TWD as both a story and a publication, and the closeness of the series plot to the books, I wouldn't expect a similar overspill into the 35 years of Dredd bacl catalogue.  But here's hoping.

Anyone wanting evidence for how films boost sales need only look back through the NYT's Graphic Book's sales list:

http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/paperback-graphic-books/list.html

TWD now lives in there (a good argument for a Game of Thrones-style Dante adaptation) and I see Miller's TDKR is in there, despite no obvious links to the film. Going back through the records you can tell which comic based film was out at the time - Watchmen (which started selling strongly from the time the film was announced until quite recently, DC printed a million copies and can't have many left over), Kick Ass and Scott Pilgrim charted strongly at the time (as did vaguely related books, like Batman vs Bane and Marvel's John Carter: The World of Mars have done nicely by association).

It is nice to see some titles get there on their own merit, and especially nice to see Tales of Nu-Earth, Volume 1 make the top ten:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-06-17/paperback-graphic-books/list.html

And Alan Moore's Future Shocks:
http://www.nytimes.com/best-sellers-books/2012-01-01/paperback-graphic-books/list.html

So while there is no question that a film release (or TV show, although that is rarer) will result in strong boosts to sales, I agree with TB, it might be that, with no single book obviously tied into the film, there is no Case Files charting there but I wouldn't be surprised, especially if there is some publicity in comic book stores and book stores. My money is on Case Files 3, 4 and 5 doing well with good advice, which should translate to better long term sales. Mega-City Masters might also do OK, as might Origins.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

PreacherCain

Hopefully retailers in the US will know the best books to recommend. Case Files 5 and America are probably the two most immediate recommendations most people would make.