Main Menu

Rewatching the OTHER Dredd movie...

Started by Alski, 16 August, 2012, 04:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreddRunner

I saw JD95 in the theater.  Kinda ironic now that I think of it considering I missed Dredd in the theater and really wanted to see it, but I digress.

I didn't know anything about the Judge Dredd comic when it came out.  I saw the previews and parts just stuck out at me and that's why I went to see it.

Like I said in my introduction, I  enjoyed it for what it was. 

But the reason I'm posting is not to describe the parts of the movie I enjoyed, but rather to point out it was this movie (and keep in mind when Dredd was announced I still had not read any Dredd comics)  that made me want to go see Dredd.

Even though at the time, and really up to just months ago-I didn't know anything about Judge Dredd the comic, JD95 was always in the back of my mind.

To me that was a very interesting world.  I love dystopian movies, books, etc, and when Dredd was announced it was because of JD95 that made me think how good they could visualize that world in this day and age.

So though true fans may have disdain for JD95, I just wanted to point out that it did bring new fans into the Judge Dredd universe.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: DreddRunner on 17 April, 2013, 01:35:57 AM
So though true fans may have disdain for JD95, I just wanted to point out that it did bring new fans into the Judge Dredd universe.

I daresay the new film has brought more.

DreddRunner

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 April, 2013, 01:40:51 AM
Quote from: DreddRunner on 17 April, 2013, 01:35:57 AM

I daresay the new film has brought more.

I understand, but my point (poorly worded on my part) was that it made me want to go see Dredd and in part, start to read the comics.

ChickenStu

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 17 April, 2013, 01:40:51 AMI daresay the new film has brought more.

I agree with this guy. I hadn't read 2000AD or the Megazine for about five years until Dredd came along, and thanks to that movie I'm a regular reader again.

The Stallone movie pissed me off and made me NOT want to read it when I was a kid.

Fuck me, I really do HATE that movie...
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Mardroid

Quote from: DreddRunner on 17 April, 2013, 01:45:20 AM
I understand, but my point (poorly worded on my part) was that it made me want to go see Dredd and in part, start to read the comics.

Sort of the same here. I say 'sort of' because it was actually years after the first film that I actually started reading 2000 AD, but I did like the concept of the character. Sure, I much prefer the comic version (and Dredd from the second film, who, in character IS pretty close to the comic version) but it introduced me to the basic concepts of the what Dredd is about and the Justice System, etc.

Ironically, those are things that the first film is often criticised for getting wrong (and understandably so)... but I got it. Don't get me wrong. It's not a particularly good film and it makes me want to wince in places...

DreddRunner

Quote from: Mardroid on 18 April, 2013, 11:37:50 PM
Quote from: DreddRunner on 17 April, 2013, 01:45:20 AM

Sort of the same here. I say 'sort of' because it was actually years after the first film that I actually started reading 2000 AD, but I did like the concept of the character. Sure, I much prefer the comic version (and Dredd from the second film, who, in character IS pretty close to the comic version) but it introduced me to the basic concepts of the what Dredd is about and the Justice System, etc.

Ironically, those are things that the first film is often criticised for getting wrong (and understandably so)... but I got it. Don't get me wrong. It's not a particularly good film and it makes me want to wince in places...

Exactly.

I was just trying the "silver lining" thing. That as bad as some say it was (and me not knowing that-at the time) it did bring in new fans.

And yes, Dredd is obviously the better movie, but that was 17 years later.

I will say I am learning a lot from this forum, and the disdain many  have for JG95 which, when I get my nerve up, I will post in the Dredd forum. 
In regards to why Dredd didn't do better in the box office.

Hawkmumbler

I was faintly aware of the 95 film when I read Caterpillars, but not the extent that I made any real connection.

Richmond Clements