Main Menu

DREDD screenwriter Alex Garland answers YOUR questions!

Started by Molch-R, 23 August, 2012, 06:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhitBloke

Does anybody else keep rereading Alex's answers over and over and over again?

No?

Come on, it can't just be me.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Dandontdare

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 25 August, 2012, 05:48:19 AMOne question I had, are Dredd and Anderson the only characters from the comics featured in the movie?

one of the photos shows Judge Alvarez, who has had minor supporting roles from time to time.

radiator

The only Alvarez I can remember was in  The Pit. Dredd battled him and his partner Neel in the recreation of Alcatraz.

I guess the decision to go with an unfamiliar (unnamed?) Chief Judge was to not be distracting, or to not cast someone now who might go on to have a bigger role later on, and be recast - the mistake other comic book movies have made.

Guthrie's in the film, though - or a version of him.

Steve Green

Guthrie's not listed on IMDB, but bearing in mind that they had Ma-Ma Dredd as a character at one point, I'm not expecting him to be in it.

As for the Chief Judge, well they have a short life expectancy when Dredd's about... :D

Spikes

So, did we find out what Alex Garlands favourite colour was?  ;)

Brilliant reading through all of this, so top marks to Alex, and all involved in this, for taking the time.

hazy efc

thanx alex for takeing the time to answer some ? from some of us, great read roll on sep 7th  :D

SuperSurfer

What a classic thread. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that this film, which means so much to so many of us would be created with loyal fans in mind, let alone include thank yous in the form of Easter eggs.

After the event, of course questions come to mind that I could've asked. Never mind, you guys covered a heck of a lot there.

Can't wait.

radiator

Yeah, it's weird isn't it? I jabber away on this site all the time - in my head what I write is read by about twenty indifferent fellow nerds. Never thought for a second anyone else would be reading, let alone people i hugely admire. That has landed me in a bit of bother from time to time, but it turns out it works both ways, and sometimes wasting time talking bollocks on the Internet can lead to great things.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 25 August, 2012, 07:50:03 PM
Yeah, it's weird isn't it? I jabber away on this site all the time - in my head what I write is read by about twenty indifferent fellow nerds. Never thought for a second anyone else would be reading, let alone people i hugely admire. That has landed me in a bit of bother from time to time, but it turns out it works both ways, and sometimes wasting time talking bollocks on the Internet can lead to great things.

I imagine everyone's going to be a great deal more circumspect in what they post regarding the film, knowing that the people with Wonka golden tickets in their back pockets are paying attention to what's posted here (and elsewhere).

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: radiator on 24 August, 2012, 08:26:49 PM
Especially enjoyed what Alex said about budgets, and how $60m would be enough to do a bigger-scale sequel.

I wonder if that figure takes into consideration the potential 3-D process in post-production?  If Dredd does well enough to get a sequel - and I'm sure we all hope it will - I also wonder if having the film presented in 3-D will again be a prerequisite of securing finance as it was for this upcoming one.  If it isn't, I hope they decide to dump the stereoscopic imaging and spend every penny of the (hopefully) $60m budget on one heck of an Origins adaptation... Fargo, Giant, the Angel Gang, possibly Chopper, AND a more mutated version of the mighty Satanus all on the big screen, all in one film, and done absolutely right, shudder, nerd overload...!!!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Dudley

Just to say, as occasional lurker, that this is the most incredible thing EVER.  Alex Garland is a gentleman, a scholar, and a pretty nifty writer too (love the Tesseract).  Well done to all.  And I really can't wait to see this film.

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Been offline for a few days, so I completely missed this. I'm really jealous of those that got to ask a question and even more so of the people that get a little cameo in it. Alex Garland, What a guy!

If there is a Pete Wells Block, in sequel, then there really has to be a Gavin Leahy Block towering along side it.

darnmarr

Quote from: bikini kill on 25 August, 2012, 08:34:01 PM
I imagine everyone's going to be a great deal more circumspect in what they post regarding the film, knowing that the people with Wonka golden tickets in their back pockets are paying attention to what's posted here (and elsewhere).
When Blackmocco recieved his prop and tickets, I remember a shiver going down my spine at the possibility of the thread being monitored by the creative team: but overall... I reckon circumspection shmircumspection,-- after all,- no amount of sychophancy is likely to get anyone a block-name or premiere tickets at this stage, and candid opinions are, I presume, what made the boards attractive reading in the first place.

Stan

Cool beans. I completely missed this but I can't think of a question I would've asked besides those that have a been covered. And I liked the answers. Alex joins a short list of geek writers (that I've noticed) along with Roberto Orci who seemed to give enough of a damn to mingle with the ravenous internet fanboys and find out what we think. If there's a downside, it was the grey area concerning Alex's involvement in potential sequels since it kinda seems like his baby. Hopefully everything goes well on that score.

And as someone who's hoping for a close(ish) interpretation of the Dark Judges I wasn't particularly worried about the response in that regard.