Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daveycandlish

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2017, 08:03:43 PM
Maybe I'll give the book a go, VB, as it seems like a jolly good idea.

Don't. It's pish.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Keef Monkey

I was watching Man In The High Castle for a bit, think I got through half of the first season. I just sort of...stopped, without ever making a choice to do so. It's not bad and I'm pretty sure I was enjoying it, but I was never feeling that pull to stick an episode on, and with so much good tv out there I guess that was enough reason for it to slip from rotation.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 23 March, 2017, 09:37:49 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 March, 2017, 08:03:43 PM
Maybe I'll give the book a go, VB, as it seems like a jolly good idea.

Don't. It's pish.

Do its great. If you like PKD.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

I've given up on Mr Robot, about four episodes in and its well, meh, to use last century speak.
I get the feeling it will drag on and on as 24 or Homeland did, and CBA with that.

Any watched the 12 Monkeys series?
DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 March, 2017, 09:59:31 AM

Only season one so far.
Very enjoyable, veering somewhere between inspired genius and groan inducing cliché.

sheldipez

Quote from: Proudhuff on 24 March, 2017, 09:59:31 AM
I've given up on Mr Robot, about four episodes in and its well, meh, to use last century speak.
I get the feeling it will drag on and on as 24 or Homeland did, and CBA with that.

The wife and I got about the same amount in to Mr Robot and neither of us was interested in what was happening, too much choice out there these days to stick with something you're not feeling (and after Lost regret if I like to stop when I CBA, something I wish I did with Lost!)

This week I've been hammering Death Note anime (a few episodes from finishing - thoroughly recommended!) and Jessica Jones; been watching this with the wife, I've seen both Daredevil and Luke Cage and prefer both over Marvel's movie offerings (outside of Guardians) so thought I may as well tick Jones off the list, its good but not great. Excellent cast but the story hasn't got me gripped and I think we have four episodes left. Probably move onto Iron Fist after this; have heard bad things so not looking forward to it.

Bolt-01

We've only seen the first two episodes of Iron fist so far. I'm not hoping for great things, but so far each of the Netflix Marvel shows has delivered some great moments.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 24 March, 2017, 11:28:13 AM
We've only seen the first two episodes of Iron fist so far. I'm not hoping for great things, but so far each of the Netflix Marvel shows has delivered some great moments.

We've only watched the first episode so far... it seems to be looking for an identity in a way that the previous Netflix offerings didn't, but I don't get the hate. Perfectly enjoyable, at this point.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

About halfway through Iron Fist at the moment.
Perfectly competent television so far, but as a fan of kung fu films I probably have a bias towards kung fu stories that have kung fu in them - it seems to me that a show about a kung fu master who is so good at kung fu that it is basically a superpower could probably have a bit more kung fu in it, if only to make up for the charisma vacuum that is the lead character.  Don't get me wrong, I've often thought that the central problems with Way Of The Dragon were that it had a clearly defined protagonist and not enough scenes of people sitting in offices talking, and the makers of IF seem to agree with that assessment so far.

TordelBack

I genuinely can't work out why leaving the character (largely) as he is in the comic, child of wealthy white US business family learns mystical martial arts in fantasy city, is somehow more racist than insisting that only people of [unspecified] east asian descent should be cast as Kung Fu superheroes. Nobody seemed bothered that Luke Cage wasn't cast as Irish American, and the man owns a bar in NYC.   

I honestly do believe actively aiming for diversity in casting is important, and is often very successful, but this is misinformed nonsense. 

Theblazeuk

I don't really agree with the argument, but it centers around cultural appropriation (taking the kungfu) and lack of representation (so few asian protagonists). Which from a distance I can see having something to it, even if I think it ignores any kind of context and the counter-argument you outline below.

The Legendary Shark

Finished the last episode of the second series of The Man in the High Castle. Okay, that was a cracking episode but I have no idea why I seem to have liked the series so much. It featured the most petulant resistance guy ever, a man who spends most of his time passive-aggressively whingeing at the people he's putting in danger and being the worst spy ever by just standing there staring at people/things he shouldn't be looking at; a Japanese trade minister who spends the majority of his time sticking his lip out and meaningless people/things in a deeply meaningful way and a Nazi officer who spends the majority of his time being a deeply unsettling suburban family man and staring at people and things with dead eyes that might be hiding thoughts on whether to open fire or not. That's before we even get anywhere near the unexplained parallel timeline flitting and films.

But, y'know what? I'm really looking forward to Season 3.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

*a Japanese trade minister who spends the majority of his time sticking his lip out and staring at  meaningless people/things in a deeply meaningful way*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs

Going through the Walking Dead again but this time with the missus.
She is loving it.
Just approaching the end of season 2.
The missus is insisting on a minimum of 2 episodes per night, more often than not 3.

The Legendary Shark

Complete change of pace - just starting S01E03 of Ash vs. Evil Dead. How is it so far?

Groovy!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]