Main Menu

Bargains and deals

Started by sheldipez, 07 March, 2013, 09:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

I don't recall reading this - apologies if it's old news...
5 quid for the Mega Collection books feels like quite a bargain.
[Don't look if you're a subscriber  :-\]

Hachette page

Dodsy

:o wow that's a kick in the balls for subscribers! Is there a list anywhere of what is in each issue? I've a couple of stories I've my eye on
Twitter - @dodsy84

Fungus

Quote from: Dodsy on 01 January, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
:o wow that's a kick in the balls for subscribers! Is there a list anywhere of what is in each issue? I've a couple of stories I've my eye on
Wikipedia has a run-down of content.
It may be that some are out-of-stock, based on the navigation failing to show one title I selected (merely browsing). Don't quote me on that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Fungus on 01 January, 2017, 10:07:42 AM
I don't recall reading this - apologies if it's old news...
5 quid for the Mega Collection books feels like quite a bargain.
[Don't look if you're a subscriber  :-\]

Hachette page
This isn't just Dredd – all of the partworks bar the new TF one have similar pricing as oil today. Must be a New Year sale or something.

rogue69

Forbidden Planet has 2000AD t shirts on sale from £4.99

also the £5 Hachette partworks have all gone back up to full price

IndigoPrime

Quote from: rogue69 on 05 January, 2017, 12:19:36 AMalso the £5 Hachette partworks have all gone back up to full price
The Dredd one has, but Marvel bargains are still there to be had.

IndigoPrime

Another Image Humble Bundle. Smartly, perhaps, it's a load of #1s for the first two tiers. Pay $10 or more and you start unlocking digital trades. For the more, it's very generous – $20 gets you, by my count, 36 digital trades. So that's 50p each or thereabouts. Included is 18 issues of Saga, the first Wicked + Devine, Prophet, and more. If you've grabbed previous Image HBs, there's naturally crossover, but even so, 50p per book...

Hawkmumbler

Worth it for Prophet alone.

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

I'm glad to report that there's not enough in that one to justify me paying for it. I HAVE TOO MANY CHEAP DIGITAL COMICS TO READ ALREADY. ... speaking of which nice long journey to that there London today and Heart of the Empire queued up...

Link Prime

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 18 January, 2017, 07:51:54 PM
Worth it for Prophet alone.

Definitely.

I'm gonna have to resist this one, I think I'm entering YNWA territory with the amount of unread digital trades on my iPad.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 January, 2017, 06:18:53 AM
I'm glad to report that there's not enough in that one to justify me paying for it. I HAVE TOO MANY CHEAP DIGITAL COMICS TO READ ALREADY. ...
There's a fair bit of stuff in there which I've already got from other bundles but enough new stuff that going for the highest tier is still a no-brainer. I think about 80% of my non-2000AD related comics buying is stuff I've been introduced to through these bundles.

And does anybody know anything about this Pathfinder RPG thing? Worth a few quid for something I'll never play but might enjoy reading the rules?
We never really die.

IndigoPrime

I was thinking the same initially about duplicates. But even if you only get, say, ten new (to you) books, that's still a hell of a lot for the outlay. Meanwhile, I saw people whining on Facebook because there aren't enough volume 2s and they already have lots of volume 1s. The poor dears. (And, natch, the 'threats' then came that there were "plenty of other ways to get the same comics for nothing". Yep. Well done, you. You're not at all why creative industries are hurting.)

So I'll buy up this one next month (already exceeded this month's non-essentials quota), and be happy with whatever's new, while thinking Image are pretty bloody amazing for offering deals like this in the first place. And then I'll likely add a load more Image stuff to my list of future trade purchases, as I did last time.

Thought: I wonder whether Rebellion might one day enter into a deal like this? A Humble Bundle of 2000 AD-related stuff could be really cool. Give away a bunch of Megs/2000 ADs at the lower tiers, along with the odd digital special. Have a handful of trades at the higher tiers. The Meg mini-trades could always be used to pad things out in some ways, without affecting potential purchases of proper trades. And with Dredd, you wouldn't want to impact on the cash cow that is the Case Files series by offering best seller #1 for nothing, but the odd thing from the line could presumably be plonked in there as a taster, to encourage people to buy more.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 January, 2017, 02:00:48 PM
And does anybody know anything about this Pathfinder RPG thing? Worth a few quid for something I'll never play but might enjoy reading the rules?

Pathfinder is like a tweaked and improved version of D&D 3.0, so lots of skills, classes/sub classes, etc. Interesting base setting where the adventurers are assumed to be members of an adventurer's guild, explorers/mercenaries for hire (the pathfinder society). The worldbuilding around it has things like ancient submarine aliens manipulating human evolution, which is nice.

I think there's a squaxx who plays Pathfinder somewhere on the board. Generally I hear it's the best version of that style of Pen & Paper RPG - more varied than the combat/dungeon crawling of AD&D/1st edition or the MMORPG fighting of 4th, more crunchy and mechanical than 5th edition or something like Dungeon World. The preferred version of the rule system that drove video games like Neverwinter Nights (or to a lesser extent, Baldurs Gate which I think was 2nd edition based).

I've met lots of DMs who use Pathfinder adventure paths to add content to their own campaigns, even if theyr'e not playing Pathfinder. I would say probably worth a few quid if you can spare it in summary!

Colin YNWA