Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 May, 2013, 05:10:21 PM
Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 May, 2013, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 03 May, 2013, 11:16:45 AM
Just rotoscope him ;)
That is not true animation! 'breaths into paper bag'
I have an inate distaste for rotoscope. I guess it's OK for student project on a budget, but real men animate from memory dammit, with visual references!

Moaning out of the way
, i'm stoked for this. Really excited as i've always felt Dredd would transfer well to the animated medium. Looking forward to updates. :D

Bit of an unfair generalisation - the early Disney films used rotoscoping. I think they count as 'true animation'.
Apples and Oranges. Just my two pence. ;)

Curious as to how this is so? How I it -
'Apples and oranges'?

Is, for example, Snow White and Seven Dwarves not real animation? Because I'm pretty sure it is.

Steve Green

blackmocco

Haha! Yes, Disney used tons of rotoscoping over the years but they never really like admitting to such. Sleeping Beauty's probably the most obvious culprit although I swear there's not one ugly drawing in that entire movie. Jungle Book's probably the best example of using rotoscoping as reference only and letting the artists run off and do their own thing with it. There's a pretty obvious difference between the two movies in terms of animation that crackles with life and animation that's long, boring, traced and slow moving.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

blackmocco

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 05 May, 2013, 05:26:39 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 May, 2013, 05:10:21 PM
Quote from: radiator on 05 May, 2013, 05:08:17 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 May, 2013, 05:01:16 PM
Quote from: Steve Green on 03 May, 2013, 11:16:45 AM
Just rotoscope him ;)
That is not true animation! 'breaths into paper bag'
I have an inate distaste for rotoscope. I guess it's OK for student project on a budget, but real men animate from memory dammit, with visual references!

Moaning out of the way
, i'm stoked for this. Really excited as i've always felt Dredd would transfer well to the animated medium. Looking forward to updates. :D

Bit of an unfair generalisation - the early Disney films used rotoscoping. I think they count as 'true animation'.
Apples and Oranges. Just my two pence. ;)

Curious as to how this is so? How I it -
'Apples and oranges'?

Is, for example, Snow White and Seven Dwarves not real animation? Because I'm pretty sure it is.

Amongst animation purists, 'true animation' is when live-action reference is simply used as a jump-off point for the animator and not rigidly adhered to. I see their point in terms of what's actually animated and what's kinda** traced from print-outs of live action footage.

(**But even when Disney rotoscoped, changes had to be made. The likes of how clothing and hair move don't translate well to being simply traced. Elements like that usually had to be pushed further than reality to look 'correct' when animated.)
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hawkmumbler

Looking at it more and more the more I see that 'classic' examples are actualy rotoscoped. Maybe i should just classify it as 'less interesting' method of animation, in my books. :-\

Steve Green

Yeah, there's such a wide range of quality in how it's used, same with any technique.

It has the same pros and cons as mocap, but it's far too sweeping a generalism to be dismissive of any production method.

I've now got this image of Mr Burdis in a mocap gimp suit with ping pong balls attached.

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 May, 2013, 05:48:42 PM
I've now got this image of Mr Burdis in a mocap gimp suit with ping pong balls attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUvEyclQjdI

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 May, 2013, 11:08:02 AM
And the culprit says hello :lol:

Well giving the address of the website on a podcast helped. Thanks.

JOE SOAP

COMMANDO FORCES

I agree but I'm sure it was said that it would go live the week coming up. It just means that some of you really do listen to the podcasts straight away :D

JOE SOAP

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 May, 2013, 11:49:39 PM
I agree but I'm sure it was said that it would go live the week coming up. It just means that some of you really do listen to the podcasts straight away :D

The PR dept. was working overtime on this one.

COMMANDO FORCES

Latest update is on the site (Look Here) and if you have bloody good eyesight, you may be able to tell what is happening in those storyboard thumbnails  ;)

Still a few other items in the pipeline but as you can see, the story is coming together nicely in preparation for the next stage of production.

Mikey

:thumbsup:

Great stuff! Looking forward to it already...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dash Decent

Have you decided if Dredd takes his helmet off in this yet?  And will there be a scene where Dredd chases a perp and runs past the same sofa and pot plant about fifteen times?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 June, 2013, 05:29:48 PM
if you have bloody good eyesight, you may be able to tell what is happening in those storyboard thumbnails

Glad to see from shots 37 & 38 that you've managed to work a large-breasted lady into the storyline, though her figure leaves something to be desired.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.