Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

Really hope the "A Night to Remember" and the "Mandela" Annual story is in there, plus "ZZZenith.com"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: GordonR on 29 May, 2013, 12:39:15 PMhttp://comicsbeat.com/zenith-lives/
The important bit:
Quote'We have informed Grant of our intention to republish, but we maintain that we own the rights to reprinting the series.'
Huh. I'd not seen that article. Interesting decision, given the fallout that could ensue. Also surprising on that basis that it's such a limited run.

BPP

Its all a big scam see, the faux conflict, the 100 quid price tag... we're all part of a GM meta Futureshock, drawn by the great Belardinelli..

(I'm saving up now).
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

hippynumber1

It seems that maybe someone in Rebellion decided the pussyfooting around had to stop and they've made a stand! Good news for us, I shall be having one, but this could get messy. Unless I'm wrong (which happens more often than I like to admit) and everyone has come to an amicable agreement...

TordelBack

This is great news, even though £100 is over twice what I would be prepared to pay.  Presumably there will be a trickle down into affordable paperbacks in a while, now all the digital conversion and compilation has been done.  Fingers crossed re: no serious legal challenges.

A very nice viral tease campaign in the lead up too, tip my hat to Molch-R.

I, Cosh

Any word on the dimensions of this volume? It's way too pricey for me when I've got the Progs anyway but I'm guessing it'll be full size rather than reduced.

Also, this from today's thrill mail:
QuoteThe collection will feature all four series, or 'phases', the latter two of which have never been reprinted. It will also include later stories by Morrison and Mark Millar
I though it was only Phase 4 which hadn't been reprinted.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

ZOUNDS! Best thing i've read all lunch break! Discarding the 100 bob price tag for the moment, this is new's i've been waiting for since I first started reading tooth. Sorry...'stands up in Starbucks and punches air a few times'..right, yeah, i'm as happy as a buttered halibut right now.

But £100? :-\

James Stacey

zzzenith.com is still available to register if anyone cares :D

Steve Green

Well, good luck to them for trying something - but £100 is a bit hefty for me at the moment.

klute

Hahahaha great news a long time coming in my opinion best news this year so far
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Trout

Yes, please. I'll buy it. I still have a UK credit card I can charge it to.  ;)

I don't think the price is silly. This would take up at least four, and possibly five, individual volumes if it was reprinted as it has been in the past, or in a similar way to Dante, for example. If we assume those books would be about £8 to £12 each, then add something for the upgrade to hardback, we're already well past half of this £100 charge. If it's in a prestigious format, add a bit more.

I've talked a lot lately about how books are becoming fetishised among comics fans, especially people who read comics and other things digitally. Increasingly, we're happy to buy a beautiful book because it gives us pleasure to have it on the shelf, even if we own it in another form. Good examples would be Bryan Talbot's Grandville series, the Edgington/D'Israeli books like Kingdom of the Wicked, and the slipcase reprints of things like Sandman or Lost Girls. I don't think it's wrong to assume this Zenith book, although more expensive, would fit into that category.

Anyway, WAAAAAAANT.

Link Prime

Really glad its in print.
I think they're havin a fackin giraffe with the price though...100 quid is too much- that'd be almost 120 Euro.

No, I'll wait for a paperback or digital trade.

radiator

QuoteIf we assume those books would be about £8 to £12 each, then add something for the upgrade to hardback, we're already well past half of this £100 charge.

I actually think it's more likely that going by current pricing each separate phase in paperback would be closer to £14/15rrp, with phase 3 probably nearer £17/18 as it'd be a pretty chunky book, so yeah, it's not as outrageous as it initially sounds.

My concern now is that I'll buy this expensive version, then they'll announce the paperback versions next year...

Proudhuff

This from the Rebellion email:

ZENITH'S BACK!

2000 AD is to publish a complete collection of Grant Morrison and Steve Yeowell's ground-breaking superhero series Zenith for the first time.

The limited edition hardback will only be available from the 2000 AD online shop. Restricted to 1,000 copies, it will be up for pre-order from 1 July and  published on 1 December.

Never collected in its entirety before, this is a unique opportunity to own the whole of Morrison's first superhero series in a never-to-be-repeated edition.

Starting in 1987, Zenith heralded the arrival of a talent who has since gone on to become one of the biggest names in comic books. A very cynical British take on superheroes, Zenith showcases themes and ideas found throughout Morrison's later work for Marvel and DC, and demonstrates his remarkable depth and maturity as a writer. Yeowell's striking black and white artwork gave the strip a vitality and rawness that still shines through today.

The collection will feature all four series, or 'phases', the latter two of which have never been reprinted. It will also include later stories by Morrison and Mark Millar.
DDT did a job on me

klute

Quote from: Trout on 29 May, 2013, 02:32:18 PM
Yes, please. I'll buy it. I still have a UK credit card I can charge it to.  ;)

I don't think the price is silly. This would take up at least four, and possibly five, individual volumes if it was reprinted as it has been in the past, or in a similar way to Dante, for example. If we assume those books would be about £8 to £12 each, then add something for the upgrade to hardback, we're already well past half of this £100 charge. If it's in a prestigious format, add a bit more.

I've talked a lot lately about how books are becoming fetishised among comics fans, especially people who read comics and other things digitally. Increasingly, we're happy to buy a beautiful book because it gives us pleasure to have it on the shelf, even if we own it in another form. Good examples would be Bryan Talbot's Grandville series, the Edgington/D'Israeli books like Kingdom of the Wicked, and the slipcase reprints of things like Sandman or Lost Girls. I don't think it's wrong to assume this Zenith book, although more expensive, would fit into that category.

Anyway, WAAAAAAANT.

In the end how much do people spend on places like amazon/ebay etc buying the phases available? it is/does seem  steep price wise but when i look at my case files and other GN's i like many people have spent a small fortune. and will continue to do so,on books that bring us joy.
As long as it makes the reader happy then it's priceless.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.