Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkDaysBish-OP

I can offer no rational explanation for commissioning Sleaze 'n' Ryder beyond it seemed like fun at the script stage, and Nick Percival was an emerging artist who needed to get a series under his belt to progress. Considering some of the great work Nick has done since, it was worth the investment. Alas, the downside of learning your craft in public is your early, lesser work will sometimes resurface to embarrass you. That applies to editors as well as writers and artists!

Mea culpa.

davidbishop

Richard

QuoteThe Edgar appearance seems to pass without anything interesting happening, and if it was building to something more then that never materialised either

It would have been good to have included The Edgar Case in that volume, but there you go.

I definitely think Nick Percival today is worth the price of Sleaze n Ryder 20 years ago. I'm just not sure why we're seeing it again. But at least that's not DB's fault...

Jade Falcon

Chief Judges Man seemed a solid enough volume.

I don't know why I thought about it suddenly, what happens when (if) a Judge serves out their Titan stretch.  Are they ferried back and basically dumped on the street or put into mandatory Justice Department low level scrub work?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 19 February, 2017, 11:23:30 PM

I don't know why I thought about it suddenly, what happens when (if) a Judge serves out their Titan stretch.  Are they ferried back and basically dumped on the street or put into mandatory Justice Department low level scrub work?

Isn't that what happens in the original Return of Rico?

sheridan

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 20 February, 2017, 06:31:04 AM
Quote from: Jade Falcon on 19 February, 2017, 11:23:30 PM

Isn't that what happens in the original Return of Rico?

Pretty sure something similar happens in a Daily Star weekend strip as well.

TordelBack

Anyone who Dredd put away for 20 since we first met him in 2099 was still there to (presumably) either escape and/or be killed in 2115 during Purgatory/Inferno. Allowing some time to get the place up and running again, the first of the new crop of post-Inferno potential returnees would have been eligible for release in 2136, just in time for Nixon's revolt and the subsequent annihilation of most of the inmates. So reintegrating bent judges into society hasn't been much of an issue for some time...

Skullmo

Quote from: DarkDaysBish-OP on 19 February, 2017, 05:55:11 PM
I can offer no rational explanation for commissioning Sleaze 'n' Ryder beyond it seemed like fun at the script stage, and Nick Percival was an emerging artist who needed to get a series under his belt to progress. Considering some of the great work Nick has done since, it was worth the investment. Alas, the downside of learning your craft in public is your early, lesser work will sometimes resurface to embarrass you. That applies to editors as well as writers and artists!

Mea culpa.

davidbishop

Thanks for the reply!
It's a joke. I was joking.

IndigoPrime

TordelBack – Heh! I was thinking much the same about the timelines. Perhaps that might make judges think twice about being naughty – their likelihood of being horribly killed before their 20 years are up.

The Legendary Shark

I seem to recall (or maybe I dreamed it) that some cadets who wash out of the Academy are lobotomised to remove dangerous knowledge/abilities before being returned to the general citizenry. If so, it makes even more sense for a twenty stretch on Titan to be capped off with a bit of brain butchery. (Which might lead to A History of Violence, MC1 style.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trent

Just up on the Hachette site volume after Armitage is Mean Machine.

From what I can make out of the credits stories look like:
Dredd Angel (Ron Smith) 40 pages
Merry Tale of the Christmas Angel (Steve Dillon) 14 pages
Travels with muh Shrink (Richard Dolan) 36 pages
Son of Mean Machine (Carl Crithlow) 60 pages
The Three Amigos (Trevor Hairsine) 54 pages
Mean Streets (Jim Murray) 6 pages

Total pages: 210

Decent page count and a good line up.
Chuffed to get Dredd Angel. Is hoping for colour spreads too much?

In terms of the saga of Mean Machine, obviously Judge Child is elsewhere and Destiny's Angel will definitely be included too.
That leaves most of Grennie's run in the Meg but more significantly both Fifty Year Man and The Last Days of Mean Machine which chronicle the end of Mean. Important stories in the character's history and, at the moment both unlikely to appear. Shame.

That said, a good meaty volume with all key stories up to Gordon's run included.

Only minor complaint is it makes for quite a Dredd lite package with Armitage (bar about 100 pages).

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Trent on 23 February, 2017, 08:33:03 PM
In terms of the saga of Mean Machine, obviously Judge Child is elsewhere and Destiny's Angel will definitely be included too.
That leaves most of Grennie's run in the Meg but more significantly both Fifty Year Man and The Last Days of Mean Machine which chronicle the end of Mean.

That said, a good meaty volume with all key stories up to Gordon's run included.

There are some little gems hidden in the Rennie run, but nothing essential - very much high-quality filler. At least one entire episode was a dream sequence, so it never even happened! I don't think there was an ending, either - one minute he's roaming the Cursed Earth, next time we see him he's back in pokey and about to get married.
@jamesfeistdraws

Apestrife

I'm positive 50 y. man will be in ToD, which IMO is a good send off to the character.

But I wouldn't mind The Last Days of Mean Machine. With an extension eminent, perhaps in a Day of Chaos aftermath book then.

Tony Angelino

I re-read The Three Amigos story from the Megazine in the last few days after finding them again in the roofspace. I loved it and it had great art from Trevor Hairsine whose style was very much a cross between McMahon and Ezquerra in my opinion. Great stuff and that looks like a volume of material that is largely worth reprinting.

The Monarch

i'm expecting rennies run to be in the angel gang book. it would make sense there

Trent

Yes, I'm not quite sure what will be in that book, a bit of a hotchpotch I suspect.
We still have Judge Child/Fink volume and City of the Damned/Destiny's Angels/In the Year 2120 volume to come as well as a standalone Angel Gang book.
Presumably Awakening of Angels, Before they Wuz Dead, Ratfink, Ratfink's Revenge will all crop up which still leaves room for solo Mean stories by Rennie and Wagner and some of the Annual one offs.
Not sure of the split between books but with effectively 4 volumes dedicated to The Judge Child and Angel Gang most nearly everything should be able to be included somewhere.