Main Menu

Maybe any sequel or reboot should be called MEGA CITY 1?

Started by ABCwarBOT, 06 July, 2015, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

No doubt other people have thought the same thing but I've been thinking for a while that maybe the Dredd title put some people off going to see it at the cinema (amongst maybe a few other things) as they associated it with the Stallone film?

Not that I'm suggesting tricking people going into see any potential future film but I think MC1's a great title for a movie anyway.   Yes I know there's the 'tiny' thing about budget but if a film was advertised to people as a story about the inhabitants and goings on in this vast city instead of just being about Dredd it could draw a lot more people. 

Spaceghost

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 06 July, 2015, 09:39:56 PM
No doubt other people have thought the same thing but I've been thinking for a while that maybe the Dredd title put some people off going to see it at the cinema (amongst maybe a few other things) as they associated it with the Stallone film?

Not that I'm suggesting tricking people going into see any potential future film but I think MC1's a great title for a movie anyway.   Yes I know there's the 'tiny' thing about budget but if a film was advertised to people as a story about the inhabitants and goings on in this vast city instead of just being about Dredd it could draw a lot more people.

So you think that removing all reference to the main character will ensure that a sequel does better?

I think that is the opposite of a genius idea.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

ABCwarBOT

Well if your idea is such genius how come it bombed at the box office?    I'd prefer it called Judge Dredd but both films haven't exactly done well at the box office have they.

And in many ways the actual city is just as much of a character as Dredd. 

Goaty

You did post that few years ago? Why bring it up again?

Dredd is the Mega-City 1 Lawman!

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Goaty on 06 July, 2015, 10:06:51 PM
You did post that few years ago? Why bring it up again?

Dredd is the Mega-City 1 Lawman!

Someone else must have posted the same thing then as I've never posted anything about it before.     

COMMANDO FORCES

MEGA CITY 1 or MC1, I'm already confused. Is it a boy band?

SmallBlueThing

No,  I'm in complete agreement.  These large-cast police procedurals are all the rage,  and the science-fiction hook may hoik it out of the crowd and get it noticed.  Dredd could still be the "main character", much like wotsisname in the CSI franchise, but surrounded by more human judges may make him more palatable to the audience.  A Netflix (type) series could allow for proper development and multiple plots to further grab the viewer. 
If they insist of spinning it out of the movie,  why not call it 'MC1: Sector 13' and dunk it in a healthy bath of cynical pisstaking of exactly those type of procedurals it pretends to be?  Who knows,  it might then lead to multiple spin-offs ('MC1: Psi Division',  'MC1: The Low Life' etc) and an eventual blanket presence in that section of the EPG I usually flick straight past on my way towards Babestation and its naughty brethren. 

SBT

Spaceghost

Nobody in their right mind would begin adapting Judge Dredd for film or TV by ensuring that the character is hidden firmly in the background. It would be commercial suicide.

Particularly after the recent film threw itself on the barbed wire, made people realise a Dredd film COULD work and paved the way for a future iteration to do much better business.

Yes, it was done with Gotham, and to a lesser extent Smallville, but Batman and Superman are household names.

If another live action Dredd project ever does get of the ground again, I imagine it will be very heavily trading on the good will of the 2012 film and the appetite for a sequel, and not trying to sneak Dredd in through the back door in a Futuristic Heavy Armoured Cop Film.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Ghost MacRoth

Yeah, I think it could work.  After all, it's just the title.  'Mega City' would perhaps allow us broader scope, negating the need to be so focused on one somewhat intractable fella.  There's loads of films where the main character is not in a bunch of scenes, and they don't suffer for it, quite the opposite, they benefit from having MULTIPLE well rounded characters, rather than just one geezer who isn't very likable (and nor should he be) carving notches on his lawgiver for 90 minutes......
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

dweezil2

Base it on a sit-com format and call it Judge Dredd And Friendz, complete with plinky pop/punk theme tune from some no note band.
Throw in some ill-judged canned laughter and a mainstream, U.S television audience might just go for it!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 06 July, 2015, 10:31:21 PM
MEGA CITY 1 or MC1, I'm already confused. Is it a boy band?

Yes I think a boy band type title would be really effective.  Something like MC1 Crew or Mega City Boyz.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 06 July, 2015, 10:58:04 PM
Yeah, I think it could work.  After all, it's just the title.  'Mega City' would perhaps allow us broader scope, negating the need to be so focused on one somewhat intractable fella.  There's loads of films where the main character is not in a bunch of scenes, and they don't suffer for it, quite the opposite, they benefit from having MULTIPLE well rounded characters, rather than just one geezer who isn't very likable (and nor should he be) carving notches on his lawgiver for 90 minutes......

That's it.   Dredd could be in it but I think it's a way to introduce the character to many more people.     Maybe people who wouldn't go to see a Dredd film otherwise but  like the sound of a big sci fi blockbuster.

Obviously I'm not the first person to think of this as Goaty points out.   It was the only real title I could think of that would be Dredd based but not include Dredd in the title

Rusty

For a Netflix or HBO series, maybe. For a film? No way.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Rusty on 07 July, 2015, 01:32:47 AM
For a Netflix or HBO series, maybe. For a film? No way.

So what would you call another Dredd based film?

Skullmo

Why not call the film - Earth! And then you could have all the mega cities in it with all the judges.
It's a joke. I was joking.