Main Menu

Meg 367 - Dredd

Started by Richard, 12 December, 2015, 03:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

A big but welcome surprise this month as Terror Rising ends and [spoiler]Beeny joins the Council of Five![/spoiler] I'm excited to see where Wagner takes that.

Mattofthespurs

My favourite Meg of the year...Just in time  ;)

ZenArcade

Ryan was kind enough th give us a look at his cover at the last B2KADDG meeting. Brilliant stuff. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tjm86

The quality of the meg for a long time has been incredible.  It's come a long way in the last few years.  This month is no exception and it is beginning to be a real grind waiting for next month.  So many stand outs, plus a retrospective on Ian Kennedy with what is, for my money, his most iconic Eagle cover.  Then another on the eighties Eagle.  Happy days.

And I'd agree with Richard on the character development at the end of Terror Rising.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Another cracker from young Mr Brown.

Dredd: Loved it.  Seeing Beeny progressing is a very exciting prospect, combined with other recent tales of the change we all know is coming, I can't help feel she will be a big part of it.  Or maybe that's just me projecting what I want over what I see! ;)

Interrogation:  Skipped, as always.

Hellboy: Or whatever.....just bored with this now.  The small amount of charm it had has exhausted itself, and now it just takes up space while delivering nothing worthwhile.  And the panel layouts still piss me off.

More cheap page filler:
  Skipped.  Please, could we have more comic strips in our comic??

DeMarco: Always loved Yeowell's stuff, despite the minimalist touch.  One of the few artists who (IMO) can get away with such blocky form and sparce detail.  Tale itself looks like it could be interesting....we'll see.

Dredd.....again: Brilliant.  Willsher really nails that 2012 Dredd uniform, and I'm glad to see it creeping into the strips more and more. The city scape with the dust storm is just brilliant.  Hoping Wyatt's tale is as interesting as the art is.

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

I do like Willsher's art, but what's with the boob armour? One of the best things about Dredd was that the uniforms were the uniforms, regardless of gender. This felt a bit like Bolland putting female judges in high-heels.

Hawkmumbler

I presume you mean boob armour, IndigroPrime. Is it bad, boob armour is one of the things that make's me grind my teeth a little.

IndigoPrime

Damn auto-correct. It's weird. It feels like something that's plopped in from a rubbish videogame, into Willsher's otherwise excellent art. It's at odds with the movie's impressive sense of treating everyone the same.

James Stacey

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 13 December, 2015, 08:01:48 PM

More cheap page filler:  Skipped.  Please, could we have more comic strips in our comic??
Usually I'd totally agree with you, as its someone I have no interest in or something thinly linked to Toof or an artists story which sounds very similar to all the others. This month was different though (for me) I was into new Eagle from a young age and came to 2000ad later. The Eagle and Ian Kennedy articles I therefore found really interesting.

Oh and yeah .. boob armour, no thanks, it's silly.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 December, 2015, 10:06:26 AM
Damn auto-correct. It's weird. It feels like something that's plopped in from a rubbish videogame, into Willsher's otherwise excellent art. It's at odds with the movie's impressive sense of treating everyone the same.

What if that judge happens to have huge tracks of land, and that's just more comfortable?  :P Drawing all body-types the same with no variation would make for a boring future for art. Surely that wouldn't be the first Judge to have some kind of variation from the standard uniform.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: James Stacey on 14 December, 2015, 03:03:37 PM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 13 December, 2015, 08:01:48 PM

More cheap page filler:  Skipped.  Please, could we have more comic strips in our comic??
Usually I'd totally agree with you, as its someone I have no interest in or something thinly linked to Toof or an artists story which sounds very similar to all the others. This month was different though (for me) I was into new Eagle from a young age and came to 2000ad later. The Eagle and Ian Kennedy articles I therefore found really interesting.

Oh and yeah .. boob armour, no thanks, it's silly.

I agree James. In fact the text articles this month were my favourite part.

James Stacey

We just need Rebellion to weave their recent magic once more and release a shiny "New Eagle Dare" Hardback to go alongside their 2000ad one(s).

IndigoPrime

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 15 December, 2015, 01:00:04 AMWhat if that judge happens to have huge tracks of land, and that's just more comfortable?
Really? I'm fairly sure body armour currently in use around the world, designed for men and women, doesn't have massive moulded parts for boobs.

QuoteDrawing all body-types the same with no variation would make for a boring future for art. Surely that wouldn't be the first Judge to have some kind of variation from the standard uniform.
The judge uniform is a uniform. It's really that simple. I'm not arguing for an eradication of variation in body types. (Frankly, given that MC-1 is over a century into the future, artists could do with adding more variation in terms of gender and raceā€”it's a bit strange how many Dredd strips have purely male judges, for example.) I am just finding this one aspect of the art skeevy. (And I say this as a big fan of Willsher's work.)

Steve Green

I'm not sure it's that strange.

Once the helmet is on, you can't see the hair - so you're down to skin tone pretty much for wide shots.

With male judges you have the option for facial hair as well.

The movie costume is fine and all, but it's much harder to differentiate between different characters (badge smaller, the armour, even the helmet covering more of the side of the face), and the body armour starts to have a tubbification effect on anyone that's not lithe in the first place.

This is also a story where some [spoiler]Weird dust monster is killing people[/spoiler]