Main Menu

Deadpool compared to Dredd regarding censorship

Started by Tarantino, 14 February, 2016, 03:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Deadpool is a sadly much more well known property than Dredd is to begin with, on either side of the pond. Before his movie came out, many casual fan's where already familiar with him due to heavy endorsement of his comics in chain book shops and the video game that came out a few years back to some acclaim, and play throughs by the bastian of dickery Pewdiepie.

Rusty

Just goes to show what a 'Marvel' logo on a poster will do for your film.

Misanthrope

Quote from: Rusty on 18 February, 2016, 01:02:34 AM

Didn't work for the Fantastic Four.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Rusty

Quote from: Misanthrope on 18 February, 2016, 09:37:33 AM
Quote from: Rusty on 18 February, 2016, 01:02:34 AM

Didn't work for the Fantastic Four.
Still made it's budget back and then some.

Misanthrope

A film has to make at least double it's budget. The Fantastic Four cost £120.000.000 and made just over £167.000.000.

That's not good.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Tarantino

JOE SOAP

IAMTHESYSTEM

Deadpool's success demonstrates there is some room for R-Rated Movies. Perhaps originality does trump the familiar in this case. The remake of RoboCop was on TV and it still had very little to say to me unlike the blistering original.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Many notable R-rated films performed well last year:

Fifty Shades of Grey
The Revenant
Straight Outta Compton
Mad Max: Fury Road
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Spy
Trainwreck
The Big Short
Magic Mike XXL
The Hateful Eight
Southpaw
Sicario

Rusty

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 22 February, 2016, 11:24:41 AM
Deadpool's success demonstrates there is some room for R-Rated Movies. Perhaps originality does trump the familiar in this case. The remake of RoboCop was on TV and it still had very little to say to me unlike the blistering original.
Robocop's remake genuinely made me sad. It was absolutely awful and a total missed opportunity.

Never realised Mad Max was R-rated. It could easily have been a PG-13. What was it that made it R, because as far as I can remember, there wasn't any swearing, or any real gore in there (apart from Immortan Joe getting his face ripped off?). If there was, it could have easily been edited out and the film would have lost nothing for it.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've heard a lot of noise made about how Deadpool's R-rating contributed to its success, and how it might open the floodgates for more R-rated action flicks. While I'd agree that the potty language, ultraviolence and lashings of the old in-out appealed, I think there's more at play.

In Deadpool, the city/planet/galaxy/universe isn't at stake. The stakes were personal. That's pretty rare in comic flicks these days. Even in Dredd, although the city/planet/galaxy/universe wasn't at stake, neither Dredd nor Anderson really had a personal link to the events that unfolded around them. It was just about their survival. Neither had any personal greivances against Mama, she was just another perp, whereas Wade had clear personal motivations in going after [spoiler]Francis[/spoiler]. Even though Deadpool's protagonist was an unrepentant murderer, who utterly rejected any ideals concerning heroism and had a face like a prune with herpes, the movie did an excellent job in gettting me to root for him.
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Rusty on 25 February, 2016, 01:25:10 AM
Never realised Mad Max was R-rated. It could easily have been a PG-13. What was it that made it R, because as far as I can remember, there wasn't any swearing, or any real gore in there (apart from Immortan Joe getting his face ripped off?). If there was, it could have easily been edited out and the film would have lost nothing for it.
Aerosol abuse.
We never really die.

Fragminion

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 22 February, 2016, 11:41:35 AM
Many notable R-rated films performed well last year:

Fifty Shades of Grey
The Revenant
Straight Outta Compton
Mad Max: Fury Road
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Spy
Trainwreck