Main Menu

Rebellion buys classic comic archive

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 25 August, 2016, 10:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Today's Damage Report seems to confirm that 3rdWW and New Statesmen are included in the deal, included as they are in the 3 Lions inspired dittie there in.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 September, 2016, 09:55:19 AM
Today's Damage Report seems to confirm that 3rdWW and New Statesmen are included in the deal, included as they are in the 3 Lions inspired dittie there in.

Yeah, it's looking like it was actually Revolver rather than Crisis that offered the retaining creator-ownership deal.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

moly

Would be great to have collected starlord, new statesmen etc

Will Cooling

Formerly WIll@The Nexus

Richard

The first series of Third World War is one of the best comic stories ever, and deserves a new release. And now that could actually happen!  :P

Spikes

Slightly off track here, so apologies, but it would be nice if Rebellion - and seeing as they are in the mood - could also snag The Last American.

Whilst I cherish the original comics, I've often dreamt that this would get a super-duper HB re-issue.

Was that tale creator owned, or does the original publisher - or even someone else now - own it?

Mute77

I was thinking the same thing about The Last American. A classic story-absolutely loved it. I think Com.x own it but havent done much with it. I read somewhere that they released a collected edition but i cannot find it...but yeah would love to see it in the 2000ad fold.

JOE SOAP

The Last American is creator owned and was published in a collected paperback in 2004 by com.x whom also published it digitally but neither are available now so maybe it's possible it could be taken to another publisher?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mute77 on 03 September, 2016, 07:01:10 PM
The Last American. A classic story-absolutely loved it. I think Com.x own it but havent done much with it. I read somewhere that they released a collected edition but i cannot find it...

The collected paperback was hard enough to get when it was first published and it took a while for me to track down a copy so I don't know if many were printed.

Com.x did test trailers for the digital edition -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBVl0YCe9OI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXkLKSU1gLM

Mute77

Yeah i assumed it was probably a low print run. I ended up buying the individual issues then the digital version on comixology. A hc from Rebellion would be tops.. I'd not seen those trailers before.

sheridan

The Last American as in the Grant/Wagner writing partnership breaking 4-issue series?

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 03 September, 2016, 10:06:12 AM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 03 September, 2016, 09:55:19 AM
Today's Damage Report seems to confirm that 3rdWW and New Statesmen are included in the deal

Yeah, it's looking like it was actually Revolver rather than Crisis that offered the retaining creator-ownership deal.

p.247 of Steve MacManus's book confirms that Fleetway retained copyright on anything commissioned for Crisis. In return for surrendering their copyright, creators were paid a flat fee plus a percentage of sales and syndication.

MacManus highlights his desire to offer creators a better deal, and describes the contract he created for Crisis in detail. If he'd secured creator ownership for Revolver, I'm sure he would have mentioned that as a personal triumph.

It seems reasonable to assume that Revolver strips were included in the deal Tharg struck with IPC/Time, and that he now owns everything from Revolver except Dare*.

* Presumably the DC collection of Rogan Gosh was a licensed reprint

maryanddavid

When Revolver was published the copyright read in the small print 'all stories and characters are copyright the credited artists and writers' 
The character Dare is owned now by DDC and IIRC reading that Rian Hughes owns the art. Dare from Revolver is reprinted in his collection 'Yesterdays Tomorrows'

Frank

Quote from: maryanddavid on 03 September, 2016, 10:13:11 PM
When Revolver was published the copyright read in the small print 'all stories and characters are copyright the credited artists and writers'

As Silent Bomber reminded me on the preceding page of this thread! Cheers, David.