Main Menu

2000AD 40th Anniversary - 11th Feb 2017 - London

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 23 September, 2016, 06:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamrunner

Dodsy

Had an amazing weekend at the anniversary and checking out the exhibition at the cartoon museum. Such a well organised and entertaining convenient, easily one of the best I've ever been to.
I won't repost the prints, books, etc that I bought cause plenty of people have posted them already but I wanted to share some of the sketches:

Firstly the first steps in a jam piece I've been planning for some time. Massive thanks to Simon Frazier, Boo Cook and D'Israel for this:

And secondly my prize from the Jock live drawing event. Honestly can't express how chuffed I am to own this:

Twitter - @dodsy84

SuperSurfer

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 February, 2017, 07:55:50 AM
Nice to see you again dude - and that Dredd head sketch you did right at the end was epic!!!
Was a pleasure to see you too, Judge.

I was meeting folks I hadn't said hello to as I was attempting to leave. Shows how great the day was. (If I knew how frequent the night tube was running I'd have stayed longer.)

As for sketching in Skulmo's book alongside work by the likes of Mr McMahon – that can give a man stage fright.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sheridan on 14 February, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 February, 2017, 12:24:08 AM
What a day. Was definitely worth missing Mrs Surfer's birthday for. :-X
Well, she shouldn't have her birthday so close to 2000AD's then, should she? ;)
Bad planning on her part. I made it up on Sunday evening by going to someone else's birthday drinks and by being out on Valentine's evening.:)

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 15 February, 2017, 10:57:44 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 14 February, 2017, 01:08:09 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 14 February, 2017, 12:24:08 AM
What a day. Was definitely worth missing Mrs Surfer's birthday for. :-X
Well, she shouldn't have her birthday so close to 2000AD's then, should she? ;)
Bad planning on her part. I made it up on Sunday evening by going to someone else's birthday drinks and by being out on Valentine's evening. :)

You're quite a catch - she's a very lucky lady! ;)

shaolin_monkey

That moment when Judge Death finds he's been photobombed by Judge Pal! :D

Molch-R

The second panel is up now! Growing Rebellion with Chris Kingsley, Jason Kingsley, and Ben Smith: https://youtu.be/nrvmYb161i4

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sheridan on 16 February, 2017, 08:58:24 PM
You're quite a catch - she's a very lucky lady! ;)
Hey it's not my fault I'm the only 2000AD reader in this marriage.

Actually, to be fair (to me) she was going to join me Sunday eve but her sisters took her out to see "La La Land". I wasn't asked as (it was assumed I "wouldn't be interested". Correct). I have no truck with Valentines though I made a card for her which went down well. Valentine's eve I was out as I was teaching and I didn't want to risk leaving my instructor to run the class on his own. He is almost 74 and the burden of running the club needs to be shared.

Come on – who would miss a bash like the 40th for a spouse's birthday?

Applogies folks I don't see a relationships thread. Sheridan started it.  ;)

Magnetica

Have you read Fever Pitch? Nick Hornby would skip friends Weddings to go to Arsenal matches and they happened every week.

matty_ae

A week on and what an amazing event it was.

I picked up amazing sketches by Simon Fraser (a hero I've not met since '98), a sketch from Cam Kennedy that honestly I couldn't be happier with - I thought it was a print at first), and then a lovely pencilled piece by the uber-genius Tom Foster.

I was trying to get everyone there associated with the first year of 2000ad to sign my bound collection and I managed that by starting at Gosh the night before.

I think I achieved it but only by missing out on chatting longer to the new talent like Dani, Emma Beeby, Kek-W, Dave Kendall, Dan Cornell etc. I think it was genuinely impossible to bring something for everyone to sign - and I can see retrospectively why so many fans got Thrill Power Overload or a poster signed en-masse.

So to Rebellion, you couldn't have done better. I'd welcome a smaller 'new talent' 2000ad con as nothing could top this unless Bolland, Cliff Robinson & Ian Gibson had paraglided in mid-con. THANKS GUYS. 

Jim_Campbell

Holy shit! Is that Kennedy Rogue a sketch?!

Surely the Mighty One must be able to get a cover or two out of the ol' war horse?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

matty_ae

Yes. Indeed.

I should also add having a signing panel seemed at first long-winded and a bit counter-intuitive ("I only want to get a signature from X")

But through it, I met and got stuff signed by the legend Annie Parkhouse which actually made the con for me and her signature is pride of place in my Dante books. ANNIE!

Dunk!

Bothered to tell Novotel, when they asked for feedback, about how crap their bar staff were on the Fri and Sat night.

Apparently they're usually praised to the hilt but were surprised by the amount of clientele on those nights.

Nice to know.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 February, 2017, 08:50:49 PM
Have you read Fever Pitch? Nick Hornby would skip friends Weddings to go to Arsenal matches and they happened every week.

I've done that many times to watch Tottenham.
When my Son was christened I went to the church and did my bit and then legged it to watch Spurs v West Ham missing the family gathering (at my house) afterwards. We drew 1-1.

dweezil2

Quote from: Dunk! on 18 February, 2017, 12:13:41 AM
Bothered to tell Novotel, when they asked for feedback, about how crap their bar staff were on the Fri and Sat night.

Apparently they're usually praised to the hilt but were surprised by the amount of clientele on those nights.

Nice to know.

Dunk!

Pretty clear they weren't used to that volume of people, or that volume of heavy drinkers!!!  :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo