Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Had a quick look at a colleague's Switch. It's a nice piece of kit, but I had a few concerns. The one thing that really jumped out to me (which I hadn't previously considered) is the glaring lack of a d pad, which seems to immediately hobble the system's potential as a retro gaming/Virtual Console machine. I also found the placement of the left analogue stick very uncomfortable - it's far too low so you have to awkwardly bend your thumb in order to push it. Even my friend admitted that he only got used to it 'after 50 hours of playing'. Also, the individual Joy Cons (in addition to the lack of d pads) do not seem comfortable or ergonomic to play with. It seems like they'll be suited to only play the most basic of games on, which is a shame.

Overall, I think I'll wait for the next iteration of the Switch that will no doubt fix all these issues (not to mention the widely reported issues of the dock scratching the screen, the joycon connectivity issues and other minor hardware issues). This initial design reminds me of the clunky original DS - a concept that only really delivered on its promise with the vastly improved DS Lite.

Zelda looks great, but I'm simply not in the market for that kind of sprawling 100 hour adventure right now, nor will I be for the foreseeable future.

JamesC

There are rumours (or fan talk at least) of possible bespoke Joy Cons for certain software.
Seems like it would be a pricey way of doing things though and would seriously effect the systems portable functionality if users have to cart various different controllers around with them.

Link Prime

I have a Switch for the past week and a half, and I bloody love it.

I'll admit that my objectivity may be as compromised as Dash Decent reviewing a hardback 'Dash Decent' collection, but anyway;

The switch itself, without the dock / Joy-cons is far more compact than you'd ever imagine.
This had the effect of both impressing the hell out of me and making me fell slightly disappointed at the same time. After the first few hours playing it, any reservations about the size subsided- it's the perfect size / weight (for my 39 year old butcher's sausage fingers anyway).
I genuinely found it quite comfortable to use in any configuration.
Apart from looking the business, all parts of the console feel sturdy and well manufactured (the same could not be said for the Wii U).
It's definitely the most aesthetically pleasing Nintendo console since the GameCube.

Fortunately I haven't been affected by any of the flaws that have been reported in the media (although I am skeptical about the reports that the Switch screen is being damaged when placing it in and out of the dock- likely only possible by careless mishandling IMO).

The 32Gb hard drive issue was easily overcome by a 50 quid 128GB micro SD card from Argos. Same solution for memory expansion as the Wii U then, although I would understand why some would prefer not to have to shell out for this.

There are currently slim pickin's on the eShop / Virtual Console, although I was surprised that several Neo Geo games were available from day 1 (I've never had the opportunity to play most of these before, so will get a few of them).
The Virtual Console range can only improve over time of course, and there's no reason to doubt it will expand further than ever before.

As for the main event game itself; The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- it is, pun intended, breath-taking.
I've been playing it hardcore since last Tuesday (and I mean hardcore) and it seems I've barely scratched the surface.
It looks absolutely gorgeous, but it's the ingenious design and game-play (scientifically known as "Nintendo magic") that make you want to play it as soon as you wake up, work or hangover be damned.
The game begins in a (huge) initial sand-box area, the only area in the game (so far) where any guidance is given. After that- you're on your own to do anything / go anywhere (all areas are accessible / all surfaces are scalable) and figure it all out as you make progress.
Believe the hype and the 10/10 reviews- this is as perfect a game as I've ever played.

As an aside- the Switch game cartridges are tiny. All the more amusing that my special edition of the Zelda game arrived in a box so large it could be used as an eco-friendly coffin for Proudhuff.

Tiplodocus

Collect on Friday...

... But then have to wait until his birthday to open it.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

It's in the loft calling to me... "Play with me... play with me... nobody will notice... play with me".

Satanist

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 March, 2017, 03:38:35 PM
It's in the loft calling to me... "Play with me... play with me... nobody will notice... play with me".

You haven't tested it? What kind of bad parenting is this? Imagine all the faff of setting it up on his birthday only to discover its faulty, birthday ruined! You really should boot it up, load a game and play it for 3 hours minimum just to be on the safe side.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Tiplodocus

It's a WIN.

Breath of The Wild needs no additional praise from me. FAST RMX is a blindingly fast (to my old eyes) future racer with a fun colour changing mechanic and 1-2-SWITCH had every body in party game stitches.

We've even done the "Right that's enough of that on the big telly" and Tiny Tips has casually strolled over, undocked it and carried on playing as he leaves the room.

Next purchase will probably be Shovel Knight. Then Mario Kart... Splatoon 2 maybe... and some of those Nindie titles...

I, Cosh

Relentless enthusiasm  (and Youtube gamplay videos) for Breath of the Wild across the entire internet has me very intrigued, even though the only Zelda I've ever played was Wind Waker and I got bored after 25 years of aimlessly rowing around.

Last Wednesday, the shop had Zelda but no Switches. On Friday they had Switches but no Zelda. On Saturday they had no Switches and no Zeldas. What will today bring, I wonder?
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Oddly, Wind Waker didn't grab me at first as, despite the bucket load of goodwill it has by being a Zelda game and the gorgeous design, I too wandered round aimlessly for a while.

I then realised that I had missed the whole game mechanic where the fish faced fecker marks stuff on your chart and low and behold, it grabbed me. Started again and loved it.

I also used to quite enjoy riding about Hyrule field  on Rooms in Ocarina of Time just looking for fun things to do. Killing time until I could be bothered with the main quest. That always seemed different and more enjoyable than some games where I've been killing time because I couldn't figure out what I was meant to do next.

radiator

QuoteNext purchase will probably be Shovel Knight.

Shovel Knight is fantastic.

Tiplodocus

And even more win as we do the Switch thing.

Tiny Tips playing Zelda on big telly. Undocks it and carries on playing while we drive to piano lesson. Hands it to me and I get half an hour of Hylian hijinks in while he's at the lesson. Then he plays it on the way back and docks it on return home. Hey Preston, on the big telly again.

I didn't even know I wanted this feature but it's a great USP.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 March, 2017, 10:32:17 AM

As for the main event game itself; The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- it is, pun intended, breath-taking.
It looks absolutely gorgeous, but it's the ingenious design and game-play (scientifically known as "Nintendo magic") that make you want to play it as soon as you wake up, work or hangover be damned.

I'm loving this game.  Some people are moaning about the lack of traditional dungeons and mini-bosses and special weapons and  bosses but the way this is set up works miles better for me.  Nearly everything is a BOSS and the weapons aren't just for use in one dungeon and then neglected (almost) thereafter.  I need to beat a Lynel, and I can't. SO I'm away training up, practicing, get more meals and skills and hearts and then I'm going to kick his ass.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just about to download Wonder Boy: Dragon's Curse.

I personally preferred Monster Land, but this was great back in the day, too.

Zelda, too, is great but in small doses. Ideal long term mobile play.
Lock up your spoons!

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Finally got to play a switch the other day. Granted I only got to play 1 2 Switch, which may be why my first impressions aren't glowing. To me the whole thing felt gimmicky (both the console and the game). Or maybe I'm just not the target audience. I'm not sure who the target of cow milking games is. But it's not me.

Also I am not sure where the 3DS fits in now. Does the Switch replace that for handheld duty? Or do I take the both and use the DS once the battery on the Switch dies?

I wanted to like it. As a gamer the more consoles that are out, the better it would be for the whole gaming community. I just wish Nintendo would go back to making consoles with no gimmicks. The Gamecube was a great console (though those stupid little disks could have been bigger) with a decent library of games. They should have stayed on that road IMO.

I would not be surprised if Nintendo goes the way of Sega after this (with the exception of handhelds, although I'd imagine that market is dropping thanks to ipads and the likes) since they have decent I.P and good range of classic titles. Time will tell.

James Stacey

Quote from: Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK on 18 April, 2017, 09:50:50 PM
Granted I only got to play 1 2 Switch, which may be why my first impressions aren't glowing. To me the whole thing felt gimmicky (both the console and the game). Or maybe I'm just not the target audience. I'm not sure who the target of cow milking games is. But it's not me.

Also I am not sure where the 3DS fits in now. Does the Switch replace that for handheld duty? Or do I take the both and use the DS once the battery on the Switch dies?
Probably because you only played 1 2 Switch which hypes up the gimmicks. Playing Zelda is sublime and the benefit of using it on a tv screen or its own is super convenient. The games will determine whether its a success or not in the end. As for the DS, they are still supporting it at the moment but switch will supersede that eventually, which is actually exciting as it means Nintendo wont be splitting their development teams over 2 platforms anymore.