Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Luke Kirby  (Read 4667 times)

Rara Avis

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Kirby
« Reply #75 on: 16 February, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »
May the Fourth be with us!!!

This is excellent news.

dweezil2

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Credit Cards Accepted.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/ashleybeechbum
« Reply #76 on: 16 February, 2017, 03:26:12 pm »
May the Fourth be with us!!!

This is excellent news.

Indeed!!!  :) ;)

Rara Avis

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 16 February, 2017, 03:35:47 pm »
At last! I'm not alone.

I don't understand the enduring popularity of these two characters at all.

Mind you, it's turned into the Sin/Dex floppy these days. (I hope that changes soon. I realise the characters are popular, but I've never much cared for them.

Rara Avis

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16 February, 2017, 03:41:13 pm »
I probably missed the last few parts of this story.

Does the story conclude in the rest of what was published? 

Indeed!!!  :) ;)

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://www.snubcommunications.com
« Reply #79 on: 16 February, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
It doesn't conclude so much as stop, but if the book runs the content in order of publication, it ends in a good place. Frankly, Luke Kirby could – and should – have run and run.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 17 February, 2017, 07:43:10 am »
It doesn't conclude so much as stop, but if the book runs the content in order of publication, it ends in a good place. Frankly, Luke Kirby could – and should – have run and run.

Yeah it would have been great if that had happened. Even though John Ridgway really owned the strip I really enjoyed Steve Parkhouse's art when he took over and would happily have seen more from him.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 17 February, 2017, 09:23:08 am »
The art switch was really jarring. Ridgway's style has that realistic edge that really suited the story. Parkhouse was much more cartoony back then – although I recall his art working really nicely when Kirby was surrounded by demonic horrors.

I wonder: why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog, or did he just get fed up writing it? I mean, he did an awful lot for the Prog at the time, but this strip stood out as being properly good.

I, Cosh

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 17 February, 2017, 09:29:22 am »
Yeah it would have been great if that had happened. Even though John Ridgway really owned the strip I really enjoyed Steve Parkhouse's art when he took over and would happily have seen more from him.
I vaguely recall from my last reread that at least one of Parkhouse's stories had gorgeous watercolour art which fitted in a lot better with the bucolic gothic vibe of the story than his Big Dave style might have.
You should not drink and bake.

Rara Avis

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:58:15 am »
I'm really looking forward to reading the collected edition, it's good to know the story has a reasonable conclusion especially when it leaves the door open for either your imagination or a possible revisit.

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:01:36 pm »
... why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog?

David Bishop says he replaced McKenzie as Tharg on December 18th 1994. The last full series of Luke Kirby ran six months later, so it seems safe to assume that was an example of Bishop/McManus running something that was already in the pipeline when they assumed the Planet Of The Apes mask and overalls.

McKenzie's most recent post-mortem appearance in 2000ad was RAM Raiders (1996), which seems like the definition of the stuffwefoundatthebackofacupboardthatthepublishersmadeusputinthecomic mentioned in Thrillpower Overload.

His awful Chopper series and the Brigand Doom with the vampire accountant show up around the six month mark too, but I don't think McKenzie was ever commissioned to write for the comic after he left, whatever the reasons for that departure were.

DarkDaysBish-OP

• 2000AD Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:27:02 pm »
... why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog?

David Bishop says he replaced McKenzie as Tharg on December 18th 1994. The last full series of Luke Kirby ran six months later, so it seems safe to assume that was an example of Bishop/McManus running something that was already in the pipeline when they assumed the Planet Of The Apes mask and overalls.

Nope, I said 18 December 1995 - not 1994. I was still on the Meg the. Alan and six other Egmont Fleetway staffers were made redundant in November 1994, including 2000AD;s publisher, Chris Power.

davidbishop

DarkDaysBish-OP

• 2000AD Creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:28:14 pm »
John Tomlinson & Steve MacManus took over at 2000AD in November 1994, if memory serves...

db

Frank

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »

Cheers, David.

IndigoPrime

• Administrator
  • Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 15 March, 2017, 05:13:57 pm »
Limited hardback now up. Only 200 copies. Well, 199 now.

Greg M.

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • The Beat of His Own Drum
« Reply #89 on: 15 March, 2017, 05:25:16 pm »
And now 198. I don't often go in for the special editions (Zenith was an exception) but this one's worth pushing the boat out for.