Main Menu

Luke Kirby

Started by Timothy, 21 November, 2016, 07:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

I love the forum! Where else would I see creators slagging off the fans who pay their way!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 November, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
I love the forum! Where else would I see creators slagging off the fans who pay their way!

Can I be clear on this: because "fans pay the creators", creators should just stand by and let fans pontificate on the personal dealings, motivations of other creators even when they know the 'fan' version of events to be incorrect? Is that what you're saying?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

GordonR

I just checked with my good friend John McShane, who confirms that Robin Smith owns an equal share of The Bogie Man.

But, again, what would he know?  He's only the publisher of the original series, who put the creator-split deal together and who retains his own financial stake in the work.

Now off you beetle and find some obscure interview that says otherwise.

Frank

Quote from: GordonR on 22 November, 2016, 04:49:47 PM
Robin Smith owns an equal share of The Bogie Man

"Technically not". I'm not quoting an interview. Or a friend.

Skullmo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 22 November, 2016, 03:52:31 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 22 November, 2016, 03:40:16 PM

Can I be clear on this: because "fans pay the creators", creators should just stand by and let fans pontificate on the personal dealings, motivations of other creators even when they know the 'fan' version of events to be incorrect? Is that what you're saying?

No - they should rip into them. Really nasty like. It's entertaining.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I believe that Robbie Coltrane owns 107% of The Bogie Man but thinks Midge Ure stole the TV version from him and that's why Metalzoic is out of print.

I promise you this information didn't come from the Internet.

Frank

Quote from: Skullmo on 22 November, 2016, 05:11:49 PM
It's entertaining

How dare you make light of this grave matter, where two nerds disagree over something they're not personally affected by and of which neither has any direct knowledge?

Hawkmumbler

Timothy

I really do wish I hadn't taken this thread off on such a tangent. Back to Luke Kirby, folks, before it descends into unpleasantness. Sorry, all.

Woolly

Luke Kirby back in print? Get in!

Hats off once again to all involved in making this a reality. You've really got a great team, Tharg  :thumbsup:
Next step, buttering up McKenzie* to write some more...

*Not literally.

GordonR

Quote from: Woolly on 22 November, 2016, 06:14:25 PM

They'd never ask him, and he'd never accept.  Alan McKenzie's had a serious downer on the prog ever since he was fired left Fleetway.  Hence his non-involvement in TPO, the Future Shock docu etc.

ZenArcade

Hang on Timothy, I've just popped (no pun intended) out and bought a bumper bag of popcorn.
I personally find this Luke Kirby thingy anodyne. If Rebellion would get their skates on and reprint Junker and Vanguard, I'd be happy!! Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Woolly

Quote from: GordonR on 22 November, 2016, 06:48:27 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 22 November, 2016, 06:14:25 PM

They'd never ask him, and he'd never accept.  Alan McKenzie's had a serious downer on the prog ever since he was fired left Fleetway.  Hence his non-involvement in TPO, the Future Shock docu etc.

Well thats a damn shame  :( What a horrible way for it all to end.
At least there'll be this collection I guess. Cheers for the info GR.

Dark Jimbo

Relevant excerpt from McKenzie's website...

Quote from: Alan McKenzie on 22 November, 2016, 07:08:32 PM
...Anyway, time and 2000AD waits for no Earthlet, so I was quickly involved in a new writing project with the provisional title, "The Beast". My plan was to do a story about a boy magician set in the early 1960s and offer it to 2000AD's stablemate, Eagle Comic. But when I showed the story to editor Richard Burton, he thought it would fit just fine in 2000AD. I spent a couple of weeks writing up the script while we racked our brains trying to think of a suitable artist.
It was a few weeks down the line when the title was changed to Summer Magic (the Journal of Luke Kirby series title didn't appear until the second story) and we settled on John Ridgway as the artist. Ridgway had the luxury, seldom afforded comic strip artists, of having the entire seven episodes, with everything in place, to work from. Even the narrative voice, actually Luke as an adult remembering what had happened all those years ago, was in the script from the outset.
The first episode appeared in Prog 571, 23rd April 1988. Which means the series predated both "Harry Potter" and the tv show The Wonder Years, which I always thought the Luke Kirby series quite resembled.
What I liked about Luke Kirby is that it's a story about children for grown-ups and, of course, as I never signed an Assignment of Copyright contract with Fleetway/Egmont, the character format belongs to me.
I had always planned that Luke would grow up in real time as his story unfolded, but after a dispute with the publishers about my owning the copyright, the character went into limbo. Still copyright law is on my side, so who knows ..?
@jamesfeistdraws