Main Menu

Who currently owns The Eagle?

Started by John Pannozzi, 21 November, 2016, 11:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Pannozzi

Quote from: Smith on 22 November, 2016, 04:46:08 PM
Not the best place to ask,but just to check-Rebellion now own Steel Claw,Spider and Archie?

I wanna say that the older IPC properties are co-owned by DC (owned by Time Warner, which plans to merge with AT&T) and Time UK (owned by the now-separate company Time Inc.).

auxlen

being a tab weird buit i can still recall the smell of those early 80s eagles.....there are a few frivolous things id do if i had a time machine

1. go back and watch laurel and hardy with an contemporary audience.
2. sniff eagle issue 1

matty_ae

They are cheap and plentiful on eBay.
Must have sold in big numbers.

Tjm86

Right up to the last year or so.  I found the last dozen or so issues a real sod to track down and downright expensive to boot at times.

Professor Bear

The late 1980s was prime "BIFF POW comics not just for kids anymore" territory, so Eagle shot itself in the foot in its final years by not aging with its audience in the way 2000ad did.  The limited distribution and tons of reprint were arguably just the final nails in the coffin.

Tjm86

Which in some respects made the attempted 'reinvention' of Dare such a shame.  Pugh on art duties did a sterling job considering the attempt to take it back to the 'original' so to speak.  As you say, the overabundance of reprints was decidedly unhelpful but Eagle had been doing that for a long time.  As early as the mid eighties they reprinted Ant Wars. 

Professor Bear

1980s Eagle featured reprint like One Eyed Jack from the very start, but it was sourced from other titles like Valiant or Battle.  By the 1990s, they'd started into their own back catalogue, publishing material which would have been familiar - through either the original publication or reprints in specials, annuals, or Eagle Monthly - to the long-term fans who were only just keeping the title afloat.