Main Menu

Mega(zin) marathon

Started by Smith, 09 January, 2017, 06:04:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Taryn Tailz on 15 February, 2017, 12:05:39 AM
Both of the Strontium Dog audios from Big Finish are well worth a listen. You haven't lived until you've heard the Gronks in all their glory. :P

Thanks for the recommendation - I am very curious to hear what a Gronk sounds like, I have a good idea in my head but could be way off!

Quote from: sheridan on 15 February, 2017, 01:07:04 AM
If you've listened to the Everything Comes Back to 2000AD podcast then you'll recognise some of it from the intro...

I haven't listened to this podcast - I've only recently got into podcasts recently, starting with The 2000 AD Thrill-Cast. I listened to the last few and they provide some great interviews/info/zarjaz... I will have to give this one a shot!

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Smith on 25 February, 2017, 12:55:08 PM
I guess I should have mentioned Dredd vs Death before,so let me sidetrack there.Its a perfectly average game.

I hadn't heard of this game before now, but you've got me thinking...with the release of Rogue Trooper Redux coming out, I wounder if a game like this could be remastered and released on current systems? Could be its just too old however. I would prefer a new (GTA type open world) Dredd game but will take what I can get!

Smith

Well,Wobot Rampage mode was pretty fun. ;)
We now know Tharg didn't like Sam Reimi's Spiderman.I can understand that.Also,15 years later we are still watching his origin story.Actually,origin stories are all we get from superhero movies.
There was also a Judge Dredd manga for a short while.Didn't know that.
Cursed Earth Koburn fight some hillbilly clan.We didn't have enough of those?Simping detective pick up a Raptaur.Who,btw,looks a lot better in black and white.Demarco posses as a stripper.Fanservice. ::)
Shimura is back for a team up with Dredd.Killoden starts.Its probably the best Young Middenface story.And Anderson goes all Doctor Strange.All things considered,I got the feeling her Deadworld counterpart,Sandra,was meant to play a big role in the future.But that didn't really happen.

Smith

There is just so many columns here.Movie reviews,TV reviews,Japanese pop-culture...
Anyhow,few more appearances of Devlin Waugh. We meet DI Jericho Strange. Juliet November helps Anderson.A new thing is The Bogie Man,and this being the final story of a comic that I never read before(and has switched several publishers before),I have no idea whats going on.I spent too much time complaining about Alan Grants naming conventions,but an Irish mutant named Tharg Ennis?Come on.
Something I forgot to mention before,after Judge Death:Wilderness day.(IIRC)We wont see him till Dark Justice,some 10-11 years later.
Remember Walter telling the story of Ralphy,the boy who wanted to be a Judge and who JD treated like his own son?Well,he grew up to be a psychotic jimp.
And here is a weird one; Who? dares wins.In short,Kenny Who? decides to go into self publishing,prints out a comic that makes fun of the Judges and gets arrested.But then he takes his case to the Appeal Court,where his robotic attorney proves that the satirical Judge Dread is not the real Judge Dredd,so Kenny walks free.Okay,wait.Why does MC1 have an Appeal Court?Why nobody before thought to complain about a verdict?Wasn't the whole point of this system to avoid courtroom drama?And even if Kenny is found innocent in the whole comic affair,wouldn't he still do time for entering MC1 illegally?

Smith

*I meant to say-After Wilderness days,we don't see Judge Death until...
Forgot to mention PJ Maybe was also back(with Inga) to kill his former schoolmates.A somewhat weak story IMO.

Smith

Trouble is,there isnt a lot to comment upon.Judge Dredd has a few okay shorter stories.Zancudo happens.Cant say I really got it.Some old (un)favorites are back.And Middnapped is a 3 episode setup for the punchline that somebody has two dicks.

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 16 March, 2017, 03:39:47 PM
#236  Trouble is,there isnt a lot to comment upon

You can make it to the end, buddy!

How about the news that Cuidad Barranquilla have foregone the flamboyant acorn helmets, Sydney Opera House pauldrons, and hot pink pants of Will Simpson in favour of Carlos Ezquerra's disappointingly dowdy bandolier and pseudo-Stallone helmet variant of the generic judge schmutter.

I wonder if Carlos was unaware another artist had already measured up CBJD for their outfits, or if editorial sent him reference and he decided to go with his own design. Monsterus Mashinashuns features my favourite thing ever - the trusting dialogue of someone* doped up on SLD 88 being talked to their death. Always hilarious.

* The superbly name Judge Stalin. Presumably a distant relative of Megacity Confidential's Judge Mugabe.

Smith

I admit that was funny.And the story is worth mentioning since it pays off much later.And points for not making Stalin a Sov Judge.
Also,I know a lot of people here like Simping Detective,but its not really my thing.

Smith

#240 This is something of a period I mostly have good memories from.In 2000ad we had Mandroid and Total War,but in the Meg,focus is more on shorter stories.And I guess with Floods 13 and Siege of Sector House 23,homaging movies was a thing.Warzone starts.Somebody here recently mentioned it,because of the proto-GI.
Koburn is back.We meet Darren Dead.A good opening episode,but oddly enough,I don't remember the strip at all.Others continue as usual.Ranson sure draws nice swinger parties. :lol:

Smith

-Wow.I have high hopes for malaria.
-Dont we all,pall.
Warzone was a bit predictable,but still good.Seeing Mandroid kinda got me thinking,its almost uncanny that Judge Dredd has never been to Canadia.I think?
Meg lived to see 15 years.Its 2005/06,LOST is still going strong and Doctor Who has been revived.Matt Smith takes over as editor and the Meg gets consolidated(I love that word  :)),so we have less pages,but more original material.We also lost the columns and got a small press spotlight.
Judge Dredd and Shimure team up against Stan Lee and his gang.Koburn fights a mutant who something of a Cursed Earth elemental,Swamp Thing style.If I got that right.
Tales from the Black Museum started.What can I say,its a bit like Future Shocks of Dreddverse.
Black Siddha is back.I respect the fact Mills tried to do his own superheroic thing,but it didn't really work IMO.
There is a new Fiends of the Eastern Fronts series by David Bishop.Should I be worried? :-\

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Smith on 24 March, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
There is a new Fiends of the Eastern Fronts series by David Bishop.Should I be worried? :-\

I don't know what the Hive Mind feeling is, but I liked the Bishop/MacNeil entries into the Fiends canon. Some top quality art from Colin (although we need to gloss over some apocalyptically awful lettering) and the writing is a thoughtful expansion of the Fiends universe. I wish I'd made the effort to track down Bish-Op's Fiends novels, TBH.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 March, 2017, 09:48:34 PM

I don't know what the Hive Mind feeling is, but I liked the Bishop/MacNeil entries into the Fiends canon. Some top quality art from Colin (although we need to gloss over some apocalyptically awful lettering) and the writing is a thoughtful expansion of the Fiends universe. I wish I'd made the effort to track down Bish-Op's Fiends novels, TBH.

Agreed- I enjoyed the Meg follow up too, don't see what's 'wrong' with it at all.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 March, 2017, 09:48:34 PM

Comic Sans - why? Why??????

Happily, Rebellion has re-issued all the Fiends novels on Kindle. Operation Vampyr opens the series and is told from the German POV in third person. The Blood Red Army switches to the Russian perspective, is based around the siege of Leningrad and told in first person [possibly my favourite in the series]. Twilight of the Dead wraps up the Eastern Front series, bringing together the surviving characters from both sides.

Fiends of the Eastern Front moves to the Pacific and focuses on the vampires spreading to another Axis power. It works as a standalone, but was intended as the first in a new series. Alas, the Black Flame imprint was shut down by Games Workshop and that ended the story. A pity, as I'd happily have written more...

TordelBack

I really enjoyed the Fiends sequel on re-reading it, but not unlike Devlin Waugh Red Tide it was murdered by the Meg's monthly schedule.

DarkDaysBish-OP

For me the Fiends Stalingrad story definitely reads better collected than in monthly 6 page episodes.

It was originally commissioned as 6 parts of 8 pages each, but that changed to 8 parts of 6 pages when the Meg shrunk to 64 pages an issue.

I had already written the first 2 scripts as 8 pages each, but there was time for me to edit them down to 6 pages each as Colin hadn't started work on the strip.