Main Menu

Help a Poor Futsie Spend His Creds!

Started by Rogue Judge, 26 January, 2017, 08:11:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 February, 2017, 05:06:47 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 02 February, 2017, 10:51:35 AM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 02 February, 2017, 03:49:57 AMAs long as they are the same size.
I'm afraid not. The Sláine and ABC Warriors Volgan War hardbacks are quite large – about A4. The paperback editions are standard 2000 AD trade size. (Mek Files is a slightly different size again – a little oversized versus a standard trade. It's about 2cm taller.)

Stop the madness!!

sssh. No one mention the spines

WhizzBang

What makes Nemesis essential reading for 2000ad fans is the main villain Torquemada. He is the best villain ever to appear in 2000ad - perhaps Judge Death is the only other one who comes even close.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: WhizzBang on 02 February, 2017, 08:48:04 PM
What makes Nemesis essential reading for 2000ad fans is the main villain Torquemada. He is the best villain ever to appear in comics - perhaps Judge Death is the only other one who comes even close.

As the saying goes, I believe, fixed that for ya.

JaHawkDroid

Going to rejuvenate (and appropriate) this thread to ask for some advice from 2000AD regulars.
I've been reading AD since July of last year, and in that time have jumped in deep on Dredd, and everything around him, with the Mega Collection. I've now decided that I need to branch out a bit, and am wondering what would be the best next steps into 2000AD.
At the 40th yesterday, Pat Mills told me to read Crisis when I mentioned that I loved his Savage work. Now, I can't seem to find this online. Is it in print?
Aside from that, I've read everything in the Prog and Meg since last July. I particularly enjoy Kingmaker, Hope...For The Future, Savage and Lawless. I've also read 2 volumes of Stickleback and volume 1 of Slaine the Horned God.

What would be the recommendations from here? I've read through the thread and there's a lot on offer, so was wondering if anyone happened to have similar tastes to me and could make any suggestions on what to do from here. Cheers

Smith

moly

Hopefully now rebellion own the rights the might do collect editions of crisis, revolver and starlord

Frank

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 12 February, 2017, 08:36:03 AM
Pat Mills told me to read Crisis when I mentioned that I loved his Savage work. Now, I can't seem to find this online. Is it in print?

Crisis was a fortnightly, politics themed 2000ad spin-off title from the late eighties. Sort of a more didactic version of Dice Man, where Pat Mills told the reader which direction they should go (and the answer was always Left).

None of the strips Crisis published are currently available, but Rebellion have recently acquired the rights to them (as well as the above mentioned Dice Man and Tharg's other adult spin-off, Revolver), so presumably Mills and Ezquerra's Third World War Book One will eventually turn up as a trade paperback.

There's a fair amount of Garth Ennis Crisis material, but I'm not sure he's still a big enough name to guartantee sales. John Smith and Jim Baikie/Sean Phillips' New Statesmen is probably a 50/50 shot, but we might have to wait for Megazine floppies to see that, Grant Morrison's Bible John and other Crisis strips back in print.

Rogue Judge

If you like Dredd you would probably go for Strontium Dog as well. Dredd aside it is my favorite 2000Ad series so far. My other favorites include Kingdom (vol 3 comes out next month so its a good time to catch up and jump on board) and I highly recommend Jaegir which is a brilliant series set in the world of Rogue Trooper and focuses on the norts.

My orders of Leviathan, Button Man, and ABC Warriors have not arrived yet. Im expecting most books to arrive this week!  :) When they do I'll read em and post my thoughts here!

Andy Lambert

QuoteI will keep Nemesis on my list, but will go for the complete v.1 (like to said, that way if I like it I can get vol.2 and so on. Very logical).

Good luck with that.
If you find v.2 at an affordable price, please do let me know.

Andy Lambert

For the record, I've just added Meltdown Man, The Complete D.R. & Quinch and Zombo vol. 1 & 2 to my ever-growing collection.
Have you bought Age Of The Wolf yet?

Molch-R

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 17 February, 2017, 03:45:51 PM

Might be worth looking in the webshop in 6-8 weeks' time as it's just been sent to be reprinted.

Andy Lambert

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 February, 2017, 03:50:30 PM

Might be worth looking in the webshop in 6-8 weeks' time as it's just been sent to be reprinted.

That news has just made my day! Thank you...! :)

Now, since we're talking about reprints.... about vol.1 of Ace Trucking Co. .... ;)

Rogue Judge

Andy, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Meltdown Man, another series that appeals to me. I have not yet bought Age of the Wolf but I am really looking forward to it. The next batch of thrill power I buy will likely be a mix of Age of the Wolf, Case Files, and finishing of my Tales of Nu Earth collection (and possibly Missionary Man...).

Molch-R, thanks for the news. I may have to jump on this series while it is available as well.

Rogue Judge

So these arrived this week - I am thrilled (see image below)! (I'm still waiting for Volgan Wars v.1 to arrive from the webshop, hopefully soon as I cant start reading the others without it). That Mek Files #1 is a beautiful large HC, I really look forward to reading it. And art in Volgan War is mind blowing!

The fist book I read was Leviathan, which I read in a single sitting last night (while sitting one the couch beside my wife while she read the novel 'The Woman in Cabin 10' - timely that we were both reading horror/suspense books about cruise ships).

My thoughts on Leviathan (mostly spoiler free, but I will include a few): [spoiler]First of all I can see why everybody likes this series, it really gets the imagination going and the great artwork by Matt Brooker ( D'Israeli - any idea why he calls himself that?) beautifully creates the world that is the Leviathan. The story starts out quickly with the first murder in first class and unfolds into the journey to the engine room. Honestly, I enjoyed the first 3/4 of the book the most, when there was still mystery and some intrigue as to why/who was responsible for the murders. Also, the reveal of Hastur wasn't as surprising as it should have been as his appearance was mentioned in an amazon review I read (plus his head is on the spine of the book...). I liked that it was in B&W too, as the imagination filled in the gaps nicely (what would be the yellow colors of limbo etc.) The ties to the Biblical narrative were interesting (the dealings with one of the wise men / the fallen angels etc.) - with him being a demon and all its hard to tell what he was lying about and what was the truth, I would likely believe the opposite of what he was telling me if I was Detective Lament.
The ending was satisfying, if not a little quickly resolved - I would have liked to have seen more of the lower levels of the ship and how people lived there. The fight with Ashbless at the end was solid, it was good to see him get what was coming. Finally, I didn't necessarily like the way that Hastur kept his word and returned Leviathan to NYC; I would have liked to have seen the weeks ensuing where he betrays/kills all of the passengers from the Leviathan in mysterious ways, or something.  [/spoiler]

Overall, a very interesting read. I am more into sci-fi than spiritual/magic books, therefore I still prefer books like Jaegir and Kingdom. I never enjoy stories as much when quick deal with a demon/ghost what have you uses magic to make everything better (see Spiderman One more day etc.)  A quick flip through Buttonman also has me Very excited.

Thanks again for everyone's opinions, I will be reading Button Man next! (Unless Volgan War v.1 arrives - I am anticipating that the most right now)

sheridan

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 February, 2017, 03:50:30 PM

Great news - though not for myself as I don't have the space (London living) and already have:

• the original stories that ran in the progs
  • the 1980s Titan reprints
  • the Eagle reprints
  • the 'Quality' reprints - Spellbinders *tsk*
  • the 2000-or-so Titan reprint
But great to see one of my favourite comic stories ever becoming more easily available.