Main Menu

Big Finish & general audio drama thread

Started by JLC, 02 March, 2017, 06:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLC

Anyone a fan of Big Finish and/or audio drama?

I've just finished the final War Doctor box set, fantastic!

sheridan

Presumably one of the last pieces of work he did, if not his final work :(

JLC

Quote from: sheridan on 02 March, 2017, 08:25:37 PM
Yes sadly. He was great in the role. He also played the lead in Big Finish's adaptation of The Invisible Man which was released last month.

CrazyFoxMachine

I wouldn't count on it - according to the obit on R4's Front Row (WHERE THEY SPOKE TO CHARLES DANCE) he was working on about twenty things immediately prior to his death. Him being an absurdly busy feller means that we still get at least two more years of his last works being released!

JLC

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 03 March, 2017, 02:35:57 PM

I wouldn't count on it - according to the obit on R4's Front Row (WHERE THEY SPOKE TO CHARLES DANCE) he was working on about twenty things immediately prior to his death. Him being an absurdly busy feller means that we still get at least two more years of his last works being released!
Brilliant!

Anyway, just got the latest in Big Finish's series of HG Wells adaptations

Hawkmumbler

Big Finish aren't getting enough credit for what they are doing, producing so e of the very best full cast audio dramas money can buy and respectfully co ti uing everything from Doctor Who and Blakes 7 to Sherlock Holmes.

Must catch up on Jago and Litefoot, I remember loving the first 4 seasons of that.

Daveycandlish

Been listening to these guys for years and can't praise them highly enough.

How can you not want more Tom Baker as the Doctor?
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JLC

The new Doom Coalition is out today! The Eleven is such a great idea for a villain.

I, Cosh

Not the kind of thing I'm interested in myself but do you guys know there's a pile of this stuff on humble bundle this week?
We never really die.

Spikes

Bit late getting into Big Finish - was tempted to start with their Sapphire and Steel releases from a few years ago, but couldn't squeeze them in - but their Survivors sets are very good indeed. Hope this run continues for a while.

Kinda tempted by their Omega Factor sets as well. Another 70s curio.

Never been tempted by their 2000ad line for some reason, and I believe that's now discontinued?

But going back to Survivors; I've got the first four sets, and I think the 5th is out now, or will be soon.

JLC

Quote from: Spikes on 10 March, 2017, 12:35:45 PM
Bit late getting into Big Finish - was tempted to start with their Sapphire and Steel releases from a few years ago, but couldn't squeeze them in - but their Survivors sets are very good indeed. Hope this run continues for a while.

Kinda tempted by their Omega Factor sets as well. Another 70s curio.

Never been tempted by their 2000ad line for some reason, and I believe that's now discontinued?

But going back to Survivors; I've got the first four sets, and I think the 5th is out now, or will be soon.
Jago & Litefoot is my favourite of the ranges they do. & The Confessions of Dorian Grey is really good.

DrJomster

Just finished The Diary Of River Song 2 today. Really rather good!

Shout outs for Torchwood, Unit and Doom Coalition too while I'm at it!

Btw if you haven't found out yet, Colin Baker is AMAZING on Big Finish. The others are good too, but it really shows with Colin compared to the run he got on tv.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Mardroid

Quote from: DrJomster on 10 March, 2017, 10:27:03 PM
Btw if you haven't found out yet, Colin Baker is AMAZING on Big Finish.

I've heard he was good.

I haven't seen much of Colin Baker's Doctor Who, I didn't like the episode I saw him in much, but I actually thought his Doctor was rather good.

Theblazeuk

Get a load of Big Finish Doctor Who & Torchwood stuff for dead, dead cheap at Humble Bundle https://www.humblebundle.com/books/doctor-who-torchwood-audiobooks