Main Menu

'Fear the walking dead' - Whats the verdict so far?

Started by Michael Knight, 07 March, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Knight

Hi folks, just wondering what any fans think of this spin off after the first 2 series. Personally thought series 2 was a blinder and I find it a very different show to the TWD. Cant wait for series 3! :-)

Dog Deever

I've been enjoying it. It's not as relentlessly depressing and grimly futile as the main show and I'm enjoying both.
I'd have to say I'm enjoying the main show more, as I'm more familiar with the characters and situations etc, but a lot of that comes down to having read some of the comics and the series having been running longer.

So yeah- I like it, it beats all shades of shite out of watching reality TV, wannabe-chef shows, dull soaps and boring police procedural/ forensic/ investigative pish.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Dr Feeley Good

I've enjoyed both series,especially the second one..lot better than I expected it to be..

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 08 March, 2017, 01:50:52 PM
Where is it on? Netflix?

I haven't watched it, but have scrolled by it on Amazon Prime a few times so it's definitely on there.

SuperSurfer

I'm struggling with this series.

After watching a few I switched off mid-episode. Can't get into it. I don't care for the characters and as a result I'm not feeling any suspense or tension at all, unlike the main series.

I can handle slow burn but this is just plain slow.

Based on comments here I might persevere a bit more.

Watching on Amazon Prime. Basically I am trying to justify my subscription. I set up an account because I needed to order an Xmas present pronto. Other than watching Walking Dead I have no use for Amazon.

Proudhuff

I really like it, but I'd watch Kim Dickens in anything, or nothing  :-[

The junkie son is a pain but develops nicely later so bare with it, and it does raise some good questions about surviving...
DDT did a job on me

Dog Deever

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 08 March, 2017, 04:48:24 PM
I don't care for the characters and as a result I'm not feeling any suspense or tension at all, unlike the main series.

To be fair, I felt like this for a good while too, and yeah- Nick was an irritation for long enough (I often think that when a character makes you dislike them, that's an emotional response that indicates the show is doing what it's meant to- engage you and make you care,one way or another; and possibly at least means decent writing and/ or acting).

They have all grown on me though, to the point where I hope it doesn't get cancelled- I thought Daniel, the older guy from El Salvador, has an interesting background that was a kind of unexpected twist.

One of my (big) bairns pays for BT sports on our Sky package, which gives us access to ANC channel, which is what we were watching on, IIRC.

rogue69

I enjoy both versions of the walking dead world  fear gives us a slightly more optimistic view showing the struggles a family would have trying keep  together while their world falls apart around them. It's nice that it's not just meat some new people destroy their lives  cause the place to be overrun with walkers

SuperSurfer

Having read some of the positive comments on this thread I thought I would give Fear the Walking Dead another chance. Turned out I had just half an episode more to watch. Fantastic ending which tied up the first series brilliantly.

So now I am left wanting more.

Satanist

I thought this was pure pish and gave up about half way through S2. And I'll watch almost anything with zombies in it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dog Deever

Quote from: Satanist on 13 March, 2017, 10:21:29 AM
I thought this was pure pish and gave up about half way through S2. And I'll watch almost anything with zombies in it.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 March, 2017, 03:41:45 PM
Your mouth is full of (weegie) wrong!

Seconded- he needs mair butteries crammed in there to wash it clean of wrongness.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Satanist

The first series was set during the fall of civilization so I was glad that when it all kicked off we got to see it from inside a barbers shop. With the shutters down. I already imagine the zombie apocalypse on a daily basis so it would've been nice to actually see it on a TV show based on that very idea.

The characters are dull, really dull. Apart from "he's a smack head" and "he's a wiseass homosexual" I would find it difficult to describe any of them. Oh I just remembered "He's a barber-torturer".

Half the shit in the second series could be wholly avoided by throwing the daughter overboard. I think I was at the point where they got to the island when I thought that's plenty.

There are so many different ways they could've approached a spin off show that I was disappointed it's just the same old shit but worse in every way than the original.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?