Main Menu

Are there any really bad 2000ad strips?

Started by marko10174, 18 March, 2017, 04:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

I thought Last night Out was one of Garths better stories.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Smith on 22 March, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
I thought Last night Out was one of Garths better stories.

What happened in that one again?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Smith

Another Judge has a few more hours to live,so he and Dredd go on a last patrol together.Its touching really.

Frank

Quote from: The Corinthian on 22 March, 2017, 02:24:41 PM
Quote from: Frank on 21 March, 2017, 08:18:52 PMMaybe pre-fame/drugs/baldness Morrison might have done a passable Wagner/Grant pastiche (for a wee while)

But it's clear both from interviews and the Dredd work that he did turn in that he didn't really understand or like Dredd. 'Inferno' is the closest he gets to a Wagner/Grant pastiche and it's desperately insipid.

What you say is true. I was addressing why the three most talented candidates amongst Tharg's employees - Morrison, Milligan*, and Smith - would have been as problematic as Ennis.

1990 Grant's Dredd wouldn't have been any more inspired than his Zoids or Action Force, but I don't think it would have been the sneering parody of the Morrison who'd suffered a mental breakdown and watched his original and innovative creations bomb.

And in 1990, writing Dredd was still ostensibly a prestigious gig; the most high profile strip in a title featuring the work of rising stars and legends**. The 2000ad of 1993-1995 was a wretched thing, which deserved the burlesquing it received from Morrison & Millar.

* I didn't mention Milligan before. He wrote a decent Batman, apparently, but - like Morrison and Smith - his aesthetic and interests are so far removed from the Cowboy/Dirty Harry narrative pulse of Dredd I couldn't see him keeping up an act of John Wagner imposture for any longer than Ennis managed.

** Not that Morrison needed the gig or the prestige - he'd just had a New York Times bestseller with Arkham Asylum, and Doom Patrol and Animal Man were receiving more generous critical plaudits than he's received in the rest of his career

Rara Avis

Possible Heresy Alert:

I never really enjoyed black and white comic strips back in the day. However when I re read Brigand Doom Dave D'Antiquis artwork changed my mind. This strip has some amazing city scapes that have real depth and scope. It really made me appreciate the art form in a way I never have before.

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 March, 2017, 03:49:52 PM
Imagine there's a 'Like' button and i'm pushing it hard.

CalHab

The artwork on Brigand Doom saved it. It'd be a good candidate for a floppy, assuming Tharg isn't going to bring out a collection which would have limited interest.

Rara Avis

I may have missed the start and end of it, I would definitely read again but I'm not sure I'd actually go out and buy a collected edition.

It's funny, any time I think about BG I immediately think of a bad smell.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Smith on 22 March, 2017, 05:46:32 PM
Another Judge has a few more hours to live,so he and Dredd go on a last patrol together.Its touching really.

Yeah, I kind of remember it now.  A few more like that and a few less like the mutant Teddy Bear one and Garth could have shone on Dredd.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Fungus

When I got back on the prog horse a few years back I tackled my largely-unread pile of progs from the first half of the 90's. 'Wretched' was a fair description, as someone said. We can't have American Reaper, so I'd plump for Timehouse. An unbearably twee light comedy that I couldn't believe was in the prog - like pages from another mag had mistakenly been stapled in at the printers, somehow.

Glad the thread's stayed upbeat/understanding :-) (And that Timehouse has its fans, all the same). From the same period, Junker looked great, Silo was interesting & atmospheric, Dead Meat was nicely silly/lushly painted. Mind you, Brigand Doom felt a bit lame and tiresome. And Dredd was painful to read, especially that Egyptian nonsense.

The Corinthian

That was the period when I gave up but I don't think it was any one single strip that pushed me over the edge. 'Timehouse', looked at in isolation, isn't offensive or even particularly bad. It was the relentless drip of middling-to-poor-to-awful that drove me away. The last Prog I bought was 869, and it was the combination of Millar 'Dredd', 'Soul Gun', 'Mother Earth' and the return of 'Big Dave' that made me think "why am I paying for this any more?"

But if it hadn't been that, it would have been 'Dinosty' or 'The Grudge-Father' or 'Babe Race 2000' or a dozen other awful strips waiting in the wings in 1994.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Corinthian on 24 March, 2017, 11:44:29 AM

it would have been 'Dinosty' or 'Babe Race 2000' or a dozen other awful strips waiting in the wings in 1994.

Noooo! I had successfully deleted those from my mind... now they are back  :o
DDT did a job on me

Dog Deever

My last bought was 866, but last read was several issues before that. Came back at 1270- I thought I'd only been away around 4 years, but it was actually double that. I did get a lot of back issues I missed free off someone  nearer to the 1270 end of my missing progs, so I still have a huge gap after 866 that I'm not in any danger of attempting to fill it. Unless they're nearby and free, I am Scottish after all...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.