Main Menu

Dredd at Number 2?

Started by Tjm86, 07 April, 2017, 05:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Another CBR top 15 including both Dredd and Anderson.  Dredd is pipped by Jim Gordon?  Anderson all the way down at 10?  There is no justice ....

Colin YNWA

Hey it ain't that bad he beat the whole of the Green Lantern Corps!

Zarjazzer

James Gordon at number one? Ah well each to their own. I know who the number one lawman is!

That Dreddy!

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

positronic

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 April, 2017, 05:48:03 PM
Another CBR top 15 including both Dredd and Anderson.  Dredd is pipped by Jim Gordon?  Anderson all the way down at 10?  There is no justice ....

A bunch of goofy choices there. Dick Tracy doesn't even make the list (but Harvey Bullock does), nor does Barry Allen (forensics gets no respect, despite the popularity of shows like C.S.I.?). But the important thing was they got top cops like Bishop, Code Blue, and Darkstars into an all-time-greatest list limited to just 15.

Patrolman Jim Harper makes the list based on only half a decade walking a street beat in Suicide Slum (despite the fact that most of the actual crime-stopping was done by his non-officially deputized alter ego The Guardian), yet is only ranked one lower than Judge Anderson on the list, even though she's saved the entire world (yes) from the Dark Judges and has had a 35+ year career?

Echidna

Pfft. How many crimes has Jim Gordon prevented or solved without the help of a vigilante?

Sandman1

Quote from: Tjm86 on 07 April, 2017, 05:48:03 PMDredd is pipped by Jim Gordon
Quote from: Zarjazzer on 07 April, 2017, 08:14:11 PM
James Gordon at number one? Ah well each to their own.

I think Gordon is a more relatable character and he has been fighting crime for a really long time. And keeping the tradition of always cover Dredd's face doesn't do him any favours. I understand why but I have my dubiety about it. 
Error...

positronic

Quote from: Sandman1 on 08 April, 2017, 05:55:42 PM
And keeping the tradition of always cover Dredd's face doesn't do him any favours.

Maybe it does, you never know. If he ever took it off, someone might be saying "Put it back on! Put it back ON!"  :lol:

Tjm86

Quote from: positronic on 08 April, 2017, 07:03:08 PM
And keeping the tradition of always cover Dredd's face doesn't do him any favours.

Maybe it does, you never know. If he ever took it off, someone might be saying "Put it back on! Put it back ON!"  :lol:

One of the very earliest Dredd stories did that.  Belardinelli on art.  Prog 7 or 8.  Just before Robot Wars.

positronic

Quote from: Tjm86 on 09 April, 2017, 07:35:30 AM
Quote from: positronic on 08 April, 2017, 07:03:08 PM

One of the very earliest Dredd stories did that.  Belardinelli on art.  Prog 7 or 8.  Just before Robot Wars.

The story behind that one is actually something like I described. Up to that point, no series bible rule had been in effect that said that Judge Dredd's face must never be shown. When the artwork to the story came back to the editor, he looked at the face Belardinelli had drawn and said to himself "That looks awful. We can't print THAT.", so a black [CENSORED] sign was pasted over the face Belardinelli had drawn, and after that, it became an established rule that Dredd's face would never be shown. We know what Joe Dredd's face actually looks like though -- he looks exactly like Judge Fargo, from whom he was cloned.

I was just kidding around there. Still, wouldn't it be interesting if someone found that original art page of Belardinelli's, and was able to carefully peel off the pasted-over [CENSORED] sign so we could get a peek at what Dredd's face might have looked like, had the editor not deemed otherwise?

Sandman1

Quote from: positronic on 09 April, 2017, 09:08:07 AMWe know what Joe Dredd's face actually looks like though -- he looks exactly like Judge Fargo, from whom he was cloned.

That's another, somewhat negative aspect with the character. He comes off as a paper doll, ready to be replaced as soon as he expires. 
Error...

PsychoGoatee

Kudos to JD, number 2 is pretty cool, good on ya Joe.  :thumbsup:

AlexF

For a US-based comics website written by and for a primarily superhero-reading audience, I'm dead excited that Dredd got on the list at all - let alone at Number 2 - and then again that Anderson appears! I do like Brian Cronin's taste in general.*

*and was dead tickled to see Code Blue on the list, who were all over Thor comics when I first read them in the early 90s.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 10 April, 2017, 01:30:10 PM
... I do like Brian Cronin's taste in general...

Oh I didn't click it was Brian Cronin, that explains why its a pretty interesting list.

I miss 'Comics Should be Good'  being its own thing. It was by far the best thing connected with CBR (well that and Robot 6) before CBR's rubbish redesign drove me away (by which of course mean until the redesign I didn't like and therefore couldn't be bothered to hang around to find the good stuff).

I miss his best of this and best of that votes, they made for such fun reading.

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 April, 2017, 01:41:16 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 10 April, 2017, 01:30:10 PM
... I do like Brian Cronin's taste in general...

Oh I didn't click it was Brian Cronin, that explains why its a pretty interesting list.

I miss 'Comics Should be Good'  being its own thing. It was by far the best thing connected with CBR (well that and Robot 6) before CBR's rubbish redesign drove me away (by which of course mean until the redesign I didn't like and therefore couldn't be bothered to hang around to find the good stuff).

I miss his best of this and best of that votes, they made for such fun reading.

I like Cronin's other... what's the column? Anyone know? Something about Comic Book Myths or like that?

I know what you mean. One by one, comic media news sites have made themselves repugnant to me. Usually the website's so loaded with ad banners, streaming videos, pop-ups, and the like that it only wants to run on a computer where it can hog the browser all to itself -- otherwise its slow or hangs up. Or worse, blares some auto-running audio or video files. Not 2000 AD's of course. I'm just talking about CBR, Newsarama, Bleeding Cool, etc.

Art

I'm amazed that anyone has the patience to click through one of those things.