Main Menu

Kim Stanley Robinson's Latest ....

Started by Tjm86, 11 April, 2017, 01:41:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

New York 2140 -

QuoteThe waters rose, submerging New York City.

But the residents adapted and it remained the bustling, vibrant metropolis it had always been. Though changed forever.

Every street became a canal. Every skyscraper an island.

Through the eyes of the varied inhabitants of one building Kim Stanley Robinson shows us how one of our great cities will change with the rising tides.

And how we too will change.

(From Amazon)

Hmmm.  All it needs is art by Colin Wilson.

O Lucky Stevie!

& there was Stevie thinking that KSR was plagiarizing updating this excellent 1987 SF novel by sometimes Miles Franklin Award winner George Turner.  ;)

KSR has form for this sort of thing. Here's his first published story --Venice Drowned-- from 1981.

Are we detecting a pattern?

The self same Venice Drowned which was reprinted in this anthology published by  2000AD owners Rebellion's SF & F imprint Solaris last year:

Which leads to the inevitable conclusion that Kim Stanley Robinson is a pseudonym for none other than Pat Mills.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

hippynumber1

Kim Stanley Robinson has freely admitted that he frequently plagiarises his own work! He's a phenominal writer and my favourite modern SF author.

O Lucky Stevie!

He also has a tendency towards the didactic & inserting his copious research into the text.

Ergo he is Pat.  ;)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

I, Cosh

The last one I could be arsed to finish was Years of Rice and Salt. The Marses, Gold Coast books and some early stories are all great though.
We never really die.

GordonR

Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 April, 2017, 08:31:36 AM
The last one I could be arsed to finish was Years of Rice and Salt. The Marses, Gold Coast books and some early stories are all great though.

I tried reading Years of Rice and Salt, but just couldn't get into it.

I've never read any of his other stuff, because......science fiction.

O Lucky Stevie!

This one takes place in the Ice Age just for you, Gordon.

sheridan

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 13 April, 2017, 09:48:16 AM
This one takes place in the Ice Age just for you, Gordon.

Future ice age or past ice age?