Main Menu

DC comics

Started by Smith, 20 April, 2017, 07:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2017, 08:12:00 AM
Just out of interest, how do people find the time to read so many comics each month?

Easy -

Dedication's what you need.
You ignore all the rest
Cos comics they the best
Oh Oh dedications what you need.

positronic

Comic book stores require dedicated readers. I'm not even sure if there's even a source for casual comic book reading any more. Maybe the library?

The Adventurer

Quote from: Magnetica on 23 April, 2017, 08:12:00 AM
Just out of interest, how do people find the time to read so many comics each month?

I ask as someone who only gets 2000AD and the Megazine plus a few Mega Collection issues, the odd Rebellion trade and the IDW Dredd stuff.

And the thing is, I generally only keep up to date on reading the Prog and the Meg. The Meg takes me all month. The Mega Collection, the trades and the IDW stuff is generally sitting there for ages before I get round to it. And I only occasionally read the floppy.

( I take the point that "buying" and "reading" aren't the same, but presumably you do eventually read the stuff that you buy for yourself?).

I guess you don't watch much TV?

I watch an okay amount of TV (at least Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube. I don't get cable), but play a lot of video games in my free time. I think it helps that I personally read exclusively digitally. So I load up my tablet and read on the go. While it looks like a lot of titles, it only ends up being 3-4 a week, which is barely any. I can crush that in an hour or so.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 10:54:29 AM
Comic book stores require dedicated readers. I'm not even sure if there's even a source for casual comic book reading any more. Maybe the library?

Libraries are pretty good about graphic novels these days. And there's always ComiXology on your tablet if you get bit by the comic bug randomly

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 09:04:45 AMMy definition of "the important thing for the direct market" is not what makes publishers happy, it's what keeps retailers profitable and in business by actually being able to resell the comics they preordered from Diamond.

What would be good for the Direct Market was if it wasn't an illegal monopoly run by a company that is provably incompetent at the single job it does.

positronic

Quote from: Professor Bear on 23 April, 2017, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 09:04:45 AMMy definition of "the important thing for the direct market" is not what makes publishers happy, it's what keeps retailers profitable and in business by actually being able to resell the comics they preordered from Diamond.

What would be good for the Direct Market was if it wasn't an illegal monopoly run by a company that is provably incompetent at the single job it does.

You raise a salient point, sir. NO competition is not a good thing for any business. The King Of The Hill grows fat and lazy.

positronic

I actually laugh when I stop and think about the software application that is running it all. 20 years behind the times.

Smith

There was even an offical inquary about the Diamonds monopoly,but every comic company and their brother lobbied for it to be stopped.Because if something happens to Diamond,the whole industry would suffer.Its a messed up industry if the monopoly holders are the good guys. ::)

positronic

jkl

TordelBack

Quote from: Smith on 15 May, 2017, 11:11:54 AM
http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/138216-dc-resets-the-clock-the-doomsday-clock.html
Oh,hell no...

You could not pay me to read this stuff.

Oh alright, you definitely could, but it'd have to be a decent amount.

Twenty euro a week at least. And I wouldn't think it too many.

IndigoPrime

"It's Watchmen colliding with the DCU. It's grim/gritty vs. all the elements Rebirth re-established. "

I don't even.

TordelBack

The sad thing is that I might enjoy this as a joke, like the Simpson's Watchmen Babies in V for Vacation, or a one-off What if Dr Manhattan was Really Mr Mxyzptlk?, or even a consciously incongruous genre-mash pastiche like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

But as an actual thing, UGH.

Link Prime

I think we could cut and past half of the 'Before Watchmen' thread for Doomsday Countdown.

I'll give this a shot, mainly out of curiosity (the decent creative team doesn't hurt).
Based on recent sales of 'The Button' crossover, it will likely be a huge hit commercially.

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 May, 2017, 12:35:20 PM
I'll give this a shot, mainly out of curiosity (the decent creative team doesn't hurt).
Based on recent sales of 'The Button' crossover, it will likely be a huge hit commercially.

Enabler!