Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 January, 2017, 12:19:16 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 09 January, 2017, 09:22:23 AM
I've been wanting to see May for a long time Mardroid, but whenever I've looked it's been a bit tough to get on dvd. I'll have to have another look!

Worth seeking out for a horror fan such as yourself, Keef.
An ending that will stay with you- simultaneously horrific and heartbreaking.

I've never seen the DVD in the wild, but keep an eye out on The Horror Channel- they've broadcast it several times over the past year or two.

Yes, that's how I came across it. I'd never even heard of it before. I just decided to record it using Play TV on my PS3* because the introductory text looked interesting. Then I forgot about it. Cue me going through the library of recorded films from months ago a couple of nights back and I decided to give it a go. I'm so glad I did.

*A completely off subject aside, so ignore if you like: I'm way behind with my game consoles. I mainly use my PS3 for streaming and the PlayTV add-on, rather than games, much as I do like games. (I'd occasionally spend hours on a particular game, and really get into it. Then I'd get stuck on a level, and after multiple retries I'd put it away.  Then no gaming for months, even a year or two. I did that with Batman: Arkham Asylum. That level where they put explosives around the gargoyles! I even have the next game (Arkham City?) unplayed.

Mardroid

Zombie Flesh Eaters.

I thought it was a bit boring and rubbish to start with. The lines and some of the acting was is a bit dodgy, and all the women are of the screamy-I-need-a-man-to-save-me variety. And a couple of them indulge in a bit of gratuitous nudity, although to be fair, one was [spoiler]in the shower, unaware of the undead peeping Tom.[/spoiler]

Once it got going it was actually quite an enjoyable zombie film though, pretty gross-out. I can see why it's counted a 'video nasty'. Did what was expected as far as these things go.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 January, 2017, 06:05:18 PM*A completely off subject aside, so ignore if you like: I'm way behind with my game consoles. I mainly use my PS3 for streaming and the PlayTV add-on, rather than games, much as I do like games.

My dad doesn't do games but uses a PS3 daily for telly-related reasons.  Very good multimedia machine - the PS4 significantly less so.

Please, Sir! - more forward-thinking than most "workin clarss" comedies of its day (1971), as it features only two rape jokes and the black character is barely mocked for his skin colour at all.  Based on a beloved tv sitcom, apparently, but then we only had three channels at the time so you could either like it or you could fuck off East of the Wall with all the other commies, some of the actors playing the kids are clearly in their 30s, but after all the Jimmy Savile stuff coming out, maybe that's the point and they're supposed to be undercover pedos or something and the makers of this were trying to warn us of what was going on.
Not terribly funny for something based on a sitcom, but I gather this is traditional where British films are concerned.

Carry On Admiral - not actually a Carry On movie, as it predates the first Carry On by several years, it's written by Val Guest, of Cannon And Ball: The Boys In Blue fame.  Oh, and also he did some films for some company called Hammer that no-one probably saw or even heard of.
Unlike the Carry Ons, this has a standalone plot that can survive without Sid James going HWAH WAH WAH at Barbera Windsors' tiddies or Jim Dale doing that face where it looks like he's put something in his mouth that's a bit too hot to swallow, being about two aging schoolfriends who get drunk and swap clothes - and clothes make the man!  Hilarity ensues from this ill-advised exchange of identities, and while it's superficially like the plot of the Hangover, I did actually get to the end of this without turning it off in disgust and then wondering if maybe ISIS have a point.  Dated horribly, which I didn't expect of a film from 1957.

Eric Plumrose

PASSENGERS (2016).

It's a romantic drama. Set in space. And no more morally dubious than SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE. It's not the film I would've preferred (or as interesting) but it pretty much hits all the right beats for what it is.

It's also got Fish.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Grugz

Crimson Peak- lovely Guillermo del toro direction and some nice spooky ghosties  even if the relationship felt rushed (dad's dead ...we're married!)

visually stunning and was the constant shower of leaves/snow a callback to the faerie court in hellboy 2? 
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

The Enigmatic Dr X

10 Cloverfield Lane. Was alright. A poor future shock.
Lock up your spoons!

Eric Plumrose

A MONSTER CALLS.

"Whoa, indeed." Affecting, at times heartbreakingly so [spoiler]"I WANT IT TO BE OVER"[/spoiler], it's also one of those all-too-rare occasions [spoiler]someone with a terminal cancer is depicted as a bag of bones[/spoiler].

Blubbed throughout. Welling-up as I type.

dweezil2

Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 12 January, 2017, 04:29:56 PM
A MONSTER CALLS.

"Whoa, indeed." Affecting, at times heartbreakingly so [spoiler]"I WANT IT TO BE OVER"[/spoiler], it's also one of those all-too-rare occasions [spoiler]someone with a terminal cancer is depicted as a bag of bones[/spoiler].

Blubbed throughout. Welling-up as I type.

You liked that? Read The Servants by M M Smith
Lock up your spoons!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: dweezil2 on 12 January, 2017, 05:49:31 PM
The bloke from Marillion?  :o

Derek Dick, no. Pratt's arse, yes.

That kid from APOCALYPSE NOW. He's in it, too.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 January, 2017, 07:18:37 PM
You liked that? Read The Servants by M M Smith

When it comes to novels, 240 pages is pushing it (for me).

The London to Brighton thing might swing it, though. Cheers for the heads-up!

CrazyFoxMachine

Gargandi snilld / Screaming Masterpiece

Lady Geoffery is a rabid Icelandophile so this was a no-brainer when she saw it on sale the other year. It's more scattershot performances than structured documentary and contains a huge variety of Icelandic acts from across the musical spectrum. Some are haunting, some intricate, some energetically raucous, some mawkishly introspective. All are fairly unique to some degree - with the exception of what appeared to be an Icelandic Beastie Boys tribute band. There's a potted history of Icelandic modern music but it's not particularly rigorous (unless it WAS literally all about Bjork). Not exceptional but a functional sampler reel for a fascinating culture.

Mardroid

Chain Letter.

Highly watchable and entertaining serial killer yarn but boy, was it grim.

Professor Bear

I just got done over on my blog shitting on period drama Mr Church for being part of burgeoning tinseltown trend of retelling the stories of black people in historical periods through the prism of a pretty white lady and lo and behold, here comes Arrival to recycle Captain Sisko's Emissary of the Prophets story arc from Deep Space 9.  For fuck's sake, Hollywood.

Both are well-made and well-performed films, but neither offer anything new to their genres, they simply repackage their elements as best they can for a hopefully wider audience than might otherwise want to watch a two hour drama about people sitting around talking about talking, or Eddie Murphy drunkenly shouting at his dead dad, which I suspect these days you can watch on a nightly basis if you stand outside Eddie Murphy's kitchen window at 1am.

Theblazeuk

Spectral - terrible movie. Spirits Within did it better even, which is saying something. Shame because there was about 5 seconds where I felt like I was watching the early stages of a World of Darkness style military unit. Then it got even stupider.

And Arrival does offer something new to the genre of cinematic sci-fi. Certainly in the last decade!