Main Menu

Prog 1961 - Welcome to your future!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 12 December, 2015, 07:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 29 December, 2015, 05:10:36 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 28 December, 2015, 10:16:09 PM

Not sure why there seems to be a speight of drawing Dredd with facial hair (he destests it, he's a stickler - remember?) and I can only think the artists use it to age him?

I'm guessing Karl Urban's Dredd has an influence.  Though it's by no means a new phenomenon; Tom Carney made some very odd choices when depicting Dredd about 20 years ago (and indeed the Lawmaster; now that I see it again). I don't think he ever drew Dredd again; and rightly so, if he was going to keep this nonsense up.

Didn't Tom - I get to be on first-name terms with him because I remember talking to him at a con once, although he was very drunk and looked like he wanted to headbutt me - change his art style and come back under a completely different name?

Shaun Thomas? Wasn't that him too?

JayzusB.Christ

I had no idea.  Fair play, though; I really liked his Shaun Thomas bleak wiry stuff.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Pop Culture Bandit

A bit late due to Christmas and New Year celebrations, but here's our take on Prog 1961. Quite possibly the best year-end Prog to date!

http://www.popculturebandit.co.uk/2015/12/2000ad-prog-1961-annual.html

Loved the return of Strontium Dog and The ABC Warriors - nice blast of retro thrill-power, and The Order provided the new blood as the series advances to a whole new time-line. Great Stuff!

Hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year - and here's to another year of top quality thrill-power in 2016!

james newell

Absolutely love the prog, a real cracker, wonderful cover by Ian Kennedy, he blew me away with return of the Mekon in the 80's and I always study Ian's the commando covers in the news agents, Hope it wont be too long before we see some more from Ian in the Prog again.

thinks Tharg

BPP

Having been given the bisley cover by FP I waltzed past the 'ordinary' cover at a newsagents this afternoon.

Jesus wept it's 1000 times better.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Colin YNWA

I don't normally do this, but I got both variants. Not cos I particularly like them both (the Kennedy one is great) just cos ... well actually why???

Hawkmumbler

Your on a slippery slope! Soon you'll be collecting all 12 variant covers for IDW Judge Dredd #2!!!!

TordelBack

sheridan

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 January, 2016, 06:16:56 AM
I don't normally do this, but I got both variants. Not cos I particularly like them both (the Kennedy one is great) just cos ... well actually why???
I don't normally get variant covers, but as my local comic shop only had the Bisley cover (as most comic shops would have, it being the Diamond exclusive), I got the Kennedy one at the FP signing (partly coz I was getting it signed and partly because I preferred it to the Biz one).

Tiplodocus

Quote from: GordonR on 01 January, 2016, 05:33:38 PM... and looked like he wanted to headbutt me...

That doesn't help narrow it down.

Thought that was damned good. Would have been a nice bitter sweet ending/beginning for Sin Dex but am glad to know more on the way.

Only two bits that didn't work for me were, I am afraid to say, by the old masters. I suppose the Futreshock wasn't really Redondo's fault. But the Kennedy cityscape is a really old fashioned vision future and doesn't work for me (though that is probably why many of you love it).

Yay! Kingdom.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!