Main Menu

Prog 1965 - Zero Tolerance!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 23 January, 2016, 02:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

James Stacey

I didnt think I was but I had no idea either

robert_ellis

Dredd is magnificent - fantastic art & story. Wish Anderson had been the psi judge - but I guess she's on her travels. Mark Sexton's facial expressions & layouts are just astonishing. Good prog all round - the mix is just right...

Jacqusie

It's always interesting on here when we are left progless of a weekend, I had my big lip out whilst asking the GF if her Gardeners World magazine was the only thing in the post, a quiet whine under my breath about my 2000AD hasn't come... to no sympathy what so ever... bah!

But the cover was more than worth the wait, it always quickens the heart when Cliff is on duty and more's the point that ol Dreddy has shot that 'orrible logo up (can this mean new logo next prog? shurly not?) and left a much better job of it.

Really enjoying the story too, I'm becoming a big fan of Mark Sextons - there is a certain sweet spot he's getting right with MC1 and the Dreddverse characters, more please!

There's a nod to a certain amount of action to come with Dredd this spring & I'm not sure if it involves a certain PJ maybe, but whatever it is, I hope it comes on a Saturday...  :)

Dark Jimbo

Droid Life was very funny this week. Can't believe folk didn't know about the sock on the handle!

Dredd gets really rather good, with only a brief moment of confusion when the action jumps abruptly to the judges bringing in the sister before the reader knows who she is or why she's wanted. The revelation that the rogue judge is actually no such thing is a great one, though - unexpected and gives this potentially well-worn premise (shadowy powers within Justice Department) a new twist.

I love Kingdom, but it's always so action heavy that it's often hard to review week-by-week!

ABC Warriors finally gets to the heart of the matter with the droids dobbing in Quartz. And finally I get some Feeley-Good action! The mention of Northpool seems like a mistake, though, very specifically placing this flashback some time between 'The Terra-Meks' and 'Rise and Fall of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein', which was the beginning of the end for Ro-Busters. You'd think Quartz would have more on his plate at that point.

The Order is really taking no prisoners this time out - it's almost daring readers to keep up with it! Love the constant onslaught of locations and characters. Will definately benefit from a re-read.

Strontium Dog's still a wee bit lightweight currently but jolly good fun.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Quote from: robert_ellis on 26 January, 2016, 06:29:56 PM
Dredd is magnificent - fantastic art & story. Wish Anderson had been the psi judge - but I guess she's on her travels.

I did wonder if it was meant to be at first as they looked a bit Anderson to me.

Geoff

Great image from Cliff. Rather a blank background but still a good cover.

That's some good Dredd, the plot treading new ground and the art is still superb.

I'm getting into Kingdom and the Order seems to make more sense to me now.

Liked the references to Northpool and others and the appearance of Dr Feely Good but Mills is certainly off on one...

SD is slow again, they're rather stretching it out aren't they..?

All round an enjoyable (if inexcusably late!) prog.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Geoff on 26 January, 2016, 11:03:54 PM
SD is slow again, they're rather stretching it out aren't they..?

Arf!  :lol:
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Dr Feeley Good looks really sinister. In the Fall and Rise of Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein he was played for laughs, but this is seriously disturbing.

Which was the effect they were after I assume.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jacqusie on 26 January, 2016, 07:02:07 PM
I had my big lip out

What a fantastic expression, not come across that before. Is it a regional thing?

I'll echo what others have said about the cover, Dredd, and The Order - all very fine. SD is great fun, I'm a sucker for a good caper and although the plot isn't racing along, Wagner always gets in a few great moments each week ("always a little more")

ABC Warriors is just pushing all my thrill buttons - this era of Ro-busters was one of my all time favourite stories and this revisiting is striking the perfect balance between retro references, spot-on dialogue and connecting the threads between Savage Robusters and ABC Warriors - things are darker in the re-telling, but there aren't any huge inconsistencies that are too jarring. Loving the art too, although Rojaws seems to have a massive wheel in some of those panels (esp the one on  p.2). This strip is the polar opposite of the recent Bad Company - that felt so very disappointing and only tarnished the whole, this works perfectly and enhances the big picture

Judge Nutmeg

Dr Feelygood should be a future member of the ABC warriors

Tiplodocus

I really enjoyed that.

Sexton's art on Dredd is particularly good at conveying the menace an "ordinary" cit must face (all those pointy things in the interrogation chamber and the PSI Judge's hands reaching out to her).

I'm not really following ABC warriors/Robusters anymore - I find Langley's art on this almost impenetrable - which I suppose makes it a fine match for the plot and dialogue. 

And you know what? I didn't actually need SAVAGE and ROBUSTERS and ABC WARRIORS to tie up.  (I almost have it in my head that the two Hammerstein's in ROBUSTERS and ABC are different robots. It makes more sense to me given the tone of the strips).  I actually was enjoying SAVAGE (along with DEFOE as one of Pat's good modern thrills) but since it started tying into the other tales, I pretty much stopped paying attention.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

mejustnow

Horses for courses, I suppose, because I love how they're all beginning to knit together.
SMUSHY PEAS!!!

Hawkmumbler

Dredd is absolutely awesome right now. Script and art are both on point and I would love to see Saxton become a series regulare, he's deffinatly an established fan if his twitter feed is to be believed. Let's keep it up!

Ro-Buster sadly has me cringing weekly. It's just unbearable, and frankly not very good. Langleys none phto-realistic art is a treat and delighted to see. Dr.Fealygood return but the rest is pure guff.