Main Menu

Prog 1970 Rock Stars

Started by jannerboyuk, 27 February, 2016, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jannerboyuk

Possibly one of my favourite Dredd episodes ever :) absolutely brilliant

Buttonman

Early Paisley Prog today.

Lovely Dredd, no letters - rest to read - before anyone moans at least I've got the cover!

The Enigmatic Dr X

One of my least favourite Dredd episodes ever. Totally, tonally, out of character.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

On the other hand I'd say just tonally different, something Dredd has long been able to handle and bloody great stuff. Loved the episode and loving the story overall.

The rest of the Prog is equally in blinding form. All the strips have good episodes, particularly Strontium Dog that has slowly and surely ramped up the pace as the story has developed and bursts into action wonderful. To be fair The Order does the same, just the build up has been so good that the flourish into action, much like with the first story is a little less fantastic.

Ro-Busters finishes its retelling well and promises a nice conclusion, or possibly set up for what's next and Kingdom is just The Prog at its best. Alls well in the land of Tharg... except...

I've kept my council on the design of the covers up to this point, but they seem to be a consistancy at the moment to it just not hitting the mark for me. Poor fonts, all these wonky angles for text, not helped this week by what I think is a poor main image, not keen on the colours, they feel flat and the figure work and composition just feel weak. Its all subjective and there's no denying that the professions making the covers will have a keener eye on what the market demands and needs right now, but for me its just not working. Sure it will turn round, or I'll get used to it, or at least stop whining about it, but ho hum.

Shame as behind the cover there's absolute joy to behold.

Darren Stephens

1970......a great year. I was born, heh. Only read Dredd so far. Awesome! "Kill the Klegg."  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Geoff

Fantastic Dredd - loving the humour. Strong prog overall too. Have to agree with what Colin says about the covers though..

Tjm86

For me the humour in Dredd worked better this week because Sensitive Klegg is effectively a gag.  Overall it felt better but I do have to agree on the tone issue.  Perhaps its a bit mixed up.  Not clear at first if it is meant to be tongue in cheek or not?  Getting clearer but the misfire at the start has left things muddied?  Can't quite put my finger on it. 

As for the rest?  NIIIIIIIICE!

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 27 February, 2016, 09:29:52 PM
For me the humour in Dredd worked better this week because Sensitive Klegg is effectively a gag.  Overall it felt better but I do have to agree on the tone issue.  Perhaps its a bit mixed up.  Not clear at first if it is meant to be tongue in cheek or not?  Getting clearer but the misfire at the start has left things muddied? 

If only there had been clues. Last week's episode started with a song and dance number by an elderly alligator wearing a blue afro wig, who died trying to chug a fat girl. Even HERSHEY made a funny ...

The mixture of exasperation and contempt with which Dredd treats Sensitive Klegg in this story is in keeping with his attitude to Walter, and the tone of the strip is the same as It Pays To Be Mental or The Stupid Gun.

IndigoPrime

Perhaps part of the problem is Dredd is so often a grim procedural of late, or just plain grim. This doesn't strike me as out of character for Dredd, but it is slightly jarring regarding modern Dredd. (Frankly, I like seeing the odd bit of humour in the strip, and have enjoyed this one so far.)

13school

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 February, 2016, 10:31:19 AM
Perhaps part of the problem is Dredd is so often a grim procedural of late, or just plain grim. This doesn't strike me as out of character for Dredd, but it is slightly jarring regarding modern Dredd. (Frankly, I like seeing the odd bit of humour in the strip, and have enjoyed this one so far.)

Seconded. I was recently wondering why I wasn't quite as interested in Dredd these days (despite the quality obviously remaining high), and I think the constant grimdark tone is starting to get to me. It's not that the specifically post-DOC stories are bleak, as you'd expect that; it's that it feels like the default tone for Dredd at the moment is a grim slog.

I don't expect Dredd to ever go back to being a humorously OTT cop in a crazy city, but it definitely doesn't hurt to throw in a bit of variety.

Ghost MacRoth

Cover: Fuzz appears to be turning into Wulf....still, nice cover.

Dredd: Yes, it's supposed to be funny...fine.  It's not.  Or at least, it's not funny enough.  The comparison to Dredd and Walter is valid, as I never found that particularly funny either...even as a kid.The art is wavering between doing nothing for me and annoying me...in almost equal measure.  Enjoyed previous SK outings, but not this one, will be glad to see the back of this.

The Order: Continues to be bonkers.  Not putting much effort in to the reading of this the now, just enjoying the art as I intend to do a complete re-read once it's done.

Ro-Busters: Seems to be finishing up the memory lane stuff, which is good. 

Kingdom: Uncomplicated action thrills.  Niiice.

Strontium Dog: Much like Kingdom, it just keeps on doing it's thing, and doing it well.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 29 February, 2016, 02:13:22 PMRo-Busters: Seems to be finishing up the memory lane stuff, which is good.
Optimist! I'm sure Mills can ret-con and rewrite plenty more ABCW/RB yet!

Steve Green

The Terra-meks were actually remotely controlled by rich American dentists and the like on a destruction jolly.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 February, 2016, 04:02:33 PM
Optimist! I'm sure Mills can ret-con and rewrite plenty more ABCW/RB yet!

DO NOT CRUSH MY DREAMS!!!!!

Ahem....I mean...yeah...I guess so....not bovvered......;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Citi-Def_Joe

Cover: OK briefly thought  Fuzzy was Wulf and did a big double take  :o

Dredd:  I appreciate humour in a Dredd strip and the satirical element of Dredd is one of the cornerstones of the strip for me, but this is just a bit too much on the Silly side of things for me, and as much as I love D'isralei's art on other things i find a bit jarring in this strip

The Order: Beautiful art but skipped the story I just can't get down with it

Ro-Busters: Hoping for a "big finish" no the flashback is over

Kingdom: My current favourite, non stop action and looks great

Strontium Dog: My 2nd fave strip at the moment, has built and twisted nicely but maintained the action where it needs to.