Main Menu

Prog 1970 Rock Stars

Started by jannerboyuk, 27 February, 2016, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPMaybe

I'm rather enjoying Dredd.  And those Klegg ships bring back fond memories of Bucky O'Hare.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Proudhuff

wondered how long I'd have to wait... ;)

Cover: Great to see Noel Fielding getting an action role at last. I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to correct me, but for me tonally the whole page is too similar, and again with text which jars for me.

Damage Report: and that's why I don't FB  :D

Dredd: Yes, it's funny... and very very fine. I can see the point of a light touch now and again in Dredd, and the dark humour in this is spot on for me.  The comparison to Dredd and Walter isn't valid, as I never found that particularly funny.
The art is wavering between stunning for me and wonderful...in almost equal measure.  Enjoyed previous SK outings,  will be glad to see it back anytime.
'You had me at Hello' 'transformed' 'oh the Kleggmanity'! :  wonderful.
And I do struggle a bit with skinny Dredd but the colours, layout and storytelling is genius, and did I mention funny?

The Order: Continues to be bonkers.don't intend to do a complete re-read once it's done.

Ro-Busters: Finally finishing up the memory lane stuff, which is good. Some seriously clunky retro-shoehorning in that last two panels 

Kingdom: action thrills with smell phones and ratkings.  Niiice.

Strontium Dog: Much like Kingdom: but with big robots! Niiiice.

Goldtiger?

Megacollection; Kleggcollection Hai! yaaaaa!
DDT did a job on me

Hawkmumbler

My patience with Ro-Busters is sadly wearing oh-oh so thin.

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Proudhuff on 29 February, 2016, 06:23:41 PM
wondered how long I'd have to wait... ;)

I was recovering from my weekend on the eastsiiiide! :p
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Magnetica

Only got Prog 1969 on Saturday owing to my woes with my local Smith's closing. Boo.
On the upside I also got 1970 as I am now subscribing and no longer have to wait til Weds. Hooray.

So comments here are about both Progs.

Dredd - so I'm not the biggest D'Israeli fan and I don't think his style really suits Dredd. On the plus side he does Dredd's grizzled face well and draws good Kleggs. On the not so good, the uniform, especially the helmet and the bike just look wrong to me.

And what is up with Hershey's hair? It has gone all Constable Hodge.

The Order - seriously losing the thread of the plot now. Still good, but will definitely require a one sitting re-read to make sense of it.

Robusters - yes good twist now so kinda worth it.

Kingdom - more of the same.

Stront - continues to be as good as ever.

Mikey

Well, entirely objectively speaking, if you don't like D'Israelis art, you're wrong. I will say it doesn't seem as clean as his usual, but that perhaps is better suited to MC1. It almost goes without saying that I'm still loving the strip which again made me laugh - specifically the face change panels! So Dredd wins top thrill for me.

Equal first is Kingdom - it's hard to find new ways to praise this, it's pretty much perfect for me.

Next up is Strontium Dog which is coming together brilliantly. Good fun.

And Return to Ro-Busters finished on a high thankfully. Still struggle to really see the point but on balance I found it entertaining which is all you need sometimes.

The Order is winning me over and it really is hard to complain about having Burns in the prog.

So a good ol prog this week Tharg.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Magnetica

Well if you don't like you don't like. Doesn't mean it's bad, just that you don't like.

Personal opinion and all...

Ghost MacRoth

Your own opinion is never wrong.  It's your opinion.  If you try to state it as a fact....then you may or may not be wrong.  To state someone's personal opinion is wrong....is wrong. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Timothy

Sensitive Klegg is wonderful. A refreshing return to levity in the strip, beautifully drawn and with some cracking jokes. I look forward to the (no doubt hilarious) conclusion of this tale and will welcome his next return with open arms.

robert_ellis

A great Dredd tale perfectly timed with the Klegg Mega Collection issue. Disraeli's off kilter art is the perfect match for the script. Loving this!

Mikey

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 01 March, 2016, 10:54:34 PM
Your own opinion is never wrong.  It's your opinion.  If you try to state it as a fact....then you may or may not be wrong.  To state someone's personal opinion is wrong....is wrong. ;)

Just to be clear then - I didn't mean it seriously, which is why I said 'objectively speaking' which in my head was tongue in cheek. Only a fool would suggest someone's view or opinion of artwork isn't subjective. No intention to piss on anyone!
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mikey on 02 March, 2016, 10:45:53 AM
Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 01 March, 2016, 10:54:34 PM

Only a fool would suggest someone's view or opinion of artwork isn't subjective.

Ah, so you listen to the ECBT2000ad podcast then?  ;)

Ghost MacRoth

Quote from: Mikey on 02 March, 2016, 10:45:53 AM
Just to be clear then - I didn't mean it seriously

I know. ;) 

dweezil2

Only read the Dredd story so far, but what a joy to behold.
Haven't giigled so much from a Dredd strip in a long time and the comedic tone does make a change from all the dour (though equally fantastic) strips of late!

Sensitive Klegg action figure soon pleas 3A!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Albion

Quote from: dweezil2 on 02 March, 2016, 12:01:20 PM
Sensitive Klegg action figure soon pleas 3A!

Good call Dweezil. I'd rather have a Klegg than the T-Rex they are thinking about.

While I'm here I'll have my say on the prog. It's all zarjaz!
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.