Main Menu

Prog 1973 - You Wanna Argue With Him?

Started by McNulty, 18 March, 2016, 03:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

Dredd: Good opening. I especially liked the evocative scenery of the Cursed Earth in this story.

3riller: Story was a little flat to start with, lots of talking. Things didn't really get going till the last page.

Survival Geeks: The first thing I thought was Ghostbusters reboot! We'll just see how this plays out.

Tainted: I enjoyed the last run of tales from Deathworld. The humans here looked pretty messed up already.

Aquilla: Certainly a departure in art style for this story but a nice introduction to the story anyway.

All in all a good prog with Dredd being my favourite.

Proudhuff

WTF! Friday Proggage  :o and CF on the cover whatever next matron!
DDT did a job on me

moly

Impressed some one bags the new prog with an actual review :)

McNulty

Quote from: moly on 18 March, 2016, 06:27:19 PM
Impressed some one bags the new prog with an actual review :)

It's just because I'm on holiday this week and the prog came in the morning.

Magnetica

jannerboyuk

Enjoyed that.

Dredd looks like a nice straightforward tale with a bit of insight to how the city is surviving. Like the idea of britcit being the dominant partner. When trump is president and corbyn establishes the people republic, life will follow art :) love macneils art

Repossession orders not so sure - contemporary ghost story, hope it doesn't get too preachy

Survival geeks feels like it belongs in deadline and the art is a bit too cartoonish and wacky for my liking but killer rabbits make me smile. See how it goes

Dead world seems to be going for the walking dead vibe, hopefully not too much nwo bollocks, but I like it. Problem is a story when we all know the longer term outcome. It'll be interesting to see where it goes

Loving the art in Aquila but even though I've not read too many previous stories it seems to be ploughing the same furrow. Hopefully it goes somewhere different but liking the Roman setting

hippynumber1

Gruddamnit! Three Saturdays in a row that I haven't had my prog. Tharg hates me...  :'(

Richard

QuoteProblem is a story when we all know the longer term outcome.
I don't mind that. I can still enjoy a story knowing that no one will survive.

I really liked Paul Davidson's art on Aquila, especially the fight on page 3.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Batman's Superior Cousin

Does not bode well for me, AND I'm at Newcastle Comic Con.
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Skullmo

Cover looks nice!

Dredd: It was ok. Nice to see earlier plot threads being used.

3riller: I found the story and art utterly uninspiring. That seems to be the case with most 3lers though.

Survival Geeks: Unfunny jokes. People shouting ever line like they are screaming in pain. Cool. Not really, terrible. For me this is the worst series in 2000AD and I may as well just skip it.

Tainted: An interesting start but not really anything that exciting and I miss the poetic nature of the last series.

Aquilla: Series 20! In which Aquilla hunts some people down. The art is ok, nothing that exciting and the story is ok.

From the highs of the last 2000AD run to this. i'm sure some people will love it but it's not really my cup of  tea.
It's a joke. I was joking.

jannerboyuk

Quote from: Richard on 19 March, 2016, 01:45:34 PM
QuoteProblem is a story when we all know the longer term outcome.
I don't mind that. I can still enjoy a story knowing that no one will survive.

I really liked Paul Davidson's art on Aquila, especially the fight on page 3.
i don't mind it either, just makes it a tougher story to write when you can't use tension about the outcome. Really looking forward to how they do it

Geoff

Prog arriving on Saturday...and a quiet moment to read it - great combination.

After being rather wary of this weeks prog I'm pleasantly surprised.

Cover is great. Big bold Dredd with MC1 backdrop and a old school speech bubble.

Dredd: promising set up and great art. Only concern is the villain, hope she  isn't too gimicky.

3riller: OK, rather more interesting than previous attempts.

Survival Geeks: Really can't stand this.

Deadworld: Art, atmosphere and a gripping end to the episode. Was expecting not to like this but really do.

Finally Aquila, again, not really expecting to like this but found it pretty entertaining.

Shame the Geeks have survived but it's only one strip and the rest is pretty good.

Colin YNWA

Pretty flat Prog for me to be honest. Gonna get little runs like this in an anthology and thankfully I don't think the problems will stick around too long.

The problems start right from the off, for once I'd prefer the logo to be a little obsured but alas the design again lets it down. It should be clear that its a smoking gun, which would make the point that of the POV being from a gunned down victim. Alas the smoke is near invisible and so the point only struck me when I read Pete Well's Cover's Uncovered Blog.

Inside we don't have a bad start with a pretty good Dredd from Mike Carroll with some exceptional art from Colin MacNeil as has been said already, hope the villian revealed at the end isn't too gimicky. Still I trust Mr Carroll on Dredd so I'm sure we'll be fine.

Did of a dip after that. The 3riller is okay at best and that last page reveal just seems horribly timed and the page just feels weird and wasteful. If there was nothing else to say that could surely have been a splash, at least that would have had a dramatic impact?

Survival Geeks is what Survival Geeks is, but then I'm not a fan of that at all. Still if past appearances are anything to go by won't be around for long.

Tainted is better than I was expecting but still hasn't grabbed me totally. The barren wasted world is tripped up with the telly reports. I haven't got a sense of place yet. Still Kek-W been doing some great stuff of late so lets see how this develops.

Aquilia is adequate on all levels. Nothing more, nothing less. Lets see, does seem to offer anything new, but its early doors.

So yeah while there is only one actual bad strip there are 3 pedestrian ones and for 2000ad pedestrian is unforgivable!