Main Menu

Prog 1974 - When Nerds Collide

Started by McNulty, 29 March, 2016, 10:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McNulty

I can't believe that this hasn't been posted up already - or am I missing something? Anyway...

Cover: Pretty cool cover, but for flip's sake - pull up your trousers! What's the matter with you?

Dredd: An explosive shoot out and frontier justice meted out while its political talk back in the Meg.

3riller: Possibly better as a Tharg's Terror Tales actually. Still don't know what is going on here.

Survival Geeks: A getting to know you episode. I was a bit disturbed by the two stoners going at it on the couch - I mean to paraphrase Red Dwarf, "You pieces of filth.  How could you commit an act of carnal knowledge?
What could possibly  have made you contemplate making love to yourself?"

Tainted: The terror and insanity grows in this episode. I get a feeling of futility from the colours and the artwork as the very weather seems to understand that the end of humanity is coming.

Aquila: A little more explanation for this current story is revealed in a flashback. That guy at the end is a flippin pyscho!

So a good prog again with the least entertaining for me being the 3riller.

ZenArcade

And I only have to wait until tomorrow. Grab prog after work, off for a pint and a whiskey and savour what looks to be at least 3 good stories. Can't wait to see what happens in pt 2 of Tainted. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

I, Cosh

Bah! With all the talk of missed deliveries elsewhere I was counting down the minutes to midnight when I could swoop in and bag my first Prog thread in years.
We never really die.

McNulty

Mattofthespurs

Still not got mine yet.
Bloody bank holidays.
I hoping it'll arrive this morning.

CalHab

What on earth is going on with her trousers? And why do the characters look nothing like the ones in the prog (even wearing different clothes)?

Hawkmumbler

I do like how Survival Geeks lampshaded what I expected to happen, going all XTNCT on us. :lol:

jannerboyuk

Cover: kinda like it in the flesh so to speak, pencils poking through :) as for the disgraceful young lady wearing her trousers so low, young people didn't dress like that when I was young...oh hang on yes they did! That Deadline vibe again.
Dredd: like it, a real sense of how the city is struggling to hang on, clearly somebody is making a move against the not so big Meg (hopefully a secret secret department will reveal themselves and save the city!)
3thrillers: meh
Survival geeks: starting to really enjoy this, nice art, bit confusing not remembering the back story but geeky fun - series 3 of firefly! :)
Tainted: the above is welcome relief from this. I'm enjoying it but the sense of futility is kinda depressing, the art is appropriately dark but jeez. Doom!
Aquila: I like the art but I'm not sure what Aquila is trying to achieve and the violence is a bit much for me.

Overall worth waiting for, looking forward to how all the stories develop except maybe 3thrillers

Dash Decent

Quote from: McNulty on 29 March, 2016, 10:43:40 PM
Cover: Pretty cool cover, but for flip's sake - pull up your trousers! What's the matter with you?

Not only are her trousers low but there is absolutely no sign of the sides of her panties, g-string strings, ties, etc so unless she's got some kind of microkini thing on she's gone commando!
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Or suffering from loose knicker elastic.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Colin YNWA

Well since I'm whined about the cover design of late only fair to say that its much better this week, obligtory logo covering aside.

Inside the Prog is still struggling for me with this line-up. Dredd is by far the highlight and loved the way the 'big reveal' villian from last part is quickly dealt with. As has been said this also gives a real sense of the city in peril and how its dependent on a wider world than before. Superb stuff with, of course, fantastic Art from the MacNeil Droid.

3riller - Repossession Order was better this week, but still lack a sense of being about anything, though to be fair I think we've built to the big reveal in the final part. The art keeps on just the right side of being too sketchy too.

The other three just aren't really working for me. but again Survival Geeks is better than whats gone before with some nice interaction and I'm liking Neil Googe's art more and more, just don't engage with the thrill over all. Tainted isn't working for me either, felt a little messy and not as impressed with the art, which I know loads of others love. Speaking of messy Aquila is too, in the sense that it seems to lack any real substance, just lots of hacking and slashing, but I don't really buy into the over all direction of the story. No sense of it going anywhere as a thrill except a load of short tales covering similar ground. May need to re-read the thrill as a whole at some point to see if that works better, gives me more of a feel for things.

So yeah not a great Prog at all, but sure it won't be long for an up turn.

Geoff

At last! Something I like about the Survival Geeks - the girl in the low-rise jeans  ;)

Anyway... Dredd continues to be excellent. The story itself is developing nicely and McNeil's art is just superb. I used to be a bit sceptical about his more blocky style but I'm totally won over. His art tells the story so well - lovely flow. And those colours...

Liking Tainted and Aquila less this week than last, can't quite put my finger on why..

But at least the prog's arrived so mustn't grumble!

Skullmo

Dredd was good -I have to say I have never found a shootout much of a cliffhanger as we know it's all going to be fine (pretty much the same cliffhanger as last week as well).[spoiler] Is it Dredd or Rico out in the Cursed Earth? Pretty sure it is Rico, is this a not as yet revealed twist I am not sure[/spoiler]
It's a joke. I was joking.

Timothy

Quote from: Skullmo on 30 March, 2016, 11:07:38 PM
Dredd was good -I have to say I have never found a shootout much of a cliffhanger as we know it's all going to be fine (pretty much the same cliffhanger as last week as well).[spoiler] Is it Dredd or Rico out in the Cursed Earth? Pretty sure it is Rico, is this a not as yet revealed twist I am not sure[/spoiler]
Pretty sure it's [spoiler]both[/spoiler]