Main Menu

Prog 1976 - Hit and Myth

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 April, 2016, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Under a cover that gets everything pretty much spot on on every level there's a much improved Prog.

I laways find it fascinating when stories that I don't get on with have up episode's that I really quite like. Defoe does that too me quite often and this week Survival Geeks was really enjoyable. Not sure why and don't have time to sit and analysis it, but really enjoyed it. I often wonder if its just my mood when I read it. Aquilia was a bit better too, though not quite as much Survival Geeks. Tainted was as it was and just doesn't really work for me.

Quite the shock in the Future Shock was a little slight I really enjoyed the story by new droid (I think?) Rory McConville, promising start. And the art by Joshua George was quite sublime. He's the chap who did the brilliant crow story isn't he (need to look that up. If so get him on a long form story he's quite the most exciting new droid I've seen for a while. Brilliant art. A little Phil Winslade here, a little David Roach there all Joshua George though. Fantastic.

Dredd though is still miles ahead of everything else in the Prog right now and is quite wonderful. I suspect that ending is a tease given the .... well tease Mr Carroll has given use in recent times.

Much improved prog, though I still look forward to a change in line up.

SpongeJosh

I really like the cover on this prog. It reminds me of something (conan the barbarian, star wars maybe). I'm sure someone will have an answer to that.

Haven't read prog yet just wanted to get how much i liked the cover off me chest.

Tjm86

Have to agree with eamonn here.  Much better prog than of late.  Only gripe is that Carroll ends with a tease that we've had a few too many times before now.

Couple of chuckles in Survival Geeks.  Soylent Green ...  And again I have to agree that this was a better Future Shock than some of the others we've had of late.  You know sort of what the denouement is going to be but it still manages a bit of a surprise.

And all this on a Saturday too!  Tidy.

Now, back to the marking!

ZenArcade

Wow, Liam Sharp, that brings back fond Pj Maybe infused memories. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

jabish

Slightly over Dredd getting seriously wounded in nearly every story. I turned to that last page and just said 'Come on!' Pity because I liked the speech juxtaposed with the action. Also do all female judges have black bobs? Standard haircut in the dept. these days? Lots of promise but in the end Dredd isn't doing it for me. Pity. Looking forward to Wagner returning. That might be unfair to the other writers and apologies for that I don't mean to be mean but Dredd as a strip feels aimless and like a different story and character with each writer. Mr. Wagner said himself that going forward with a group of writers on Dredd there needs to be very tight coordination. Dredd needs a showrunner now. Just my two cents.

Eamonn Clarke

Cracking cover, cracking Dredd and four letters for the beast. All good so far

Jim_Campbell

TWO PROG REVIEW THREADS?! The horror, the horror! Won't someone think of the children?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 April, 2016, 12:39:15 PM
Won't someone think of the children?

Cheers

Jim

Oh don't start that debate again...

SpongeJosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 April, 2016, 12:54:38 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 April, 2016, 12:39:15 PM
Won't someone think of the children?

Cheers

Jim

Oh don't start that debate again...

He can have them this weekend, I'll have them next weekend. Agreed?  :lol:

Richard

Wonder what happened to Judge Buell then?

jannerboyuk

Cover: bit dark and muddy for me
Dredd: cracking story with lots of lovely logistics discussions. Find it hard to see Brit-cit as the big threat. What's the motivation?
Survival geeks: nice enough, love the last panel
Tainted: ok this week, not much of s cliffhanger
Future shock: nice art, predictable story
Aquila: ok I suppose

Overall this prog suffered from too many stories that will read better as trades.

Best bit: what is the secret of prog 1977? Great page, nice old skool feel!

Magnetica

First time I have read the Prog on a Saturday since I used to get it delivered with my parents newspaper back when I was a child.

Dredd, Geeks, Deadworld and Aquila pretty much as per last week.

I liked the art on the future shock. Don't remember seeing that artist, so like Colin I assume its a new droid.

Zenith 666

Frank

Quote from: SpongeJosh on 09 April, 2016, 11:16:59 AM
I really like the cover on this prog. It reminds me of something (conan the barbarian, star wars maybe).

Quote from: jabish on 09 April, 2016, 12:09:25 PM
Looking forward to Wagner returning

Don't hold your breath.