Main Menu

Prog 1978 - outer dark

Started by Skullmo, 23 April, 2016, 10:39:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

To save money, why not just have the logo massive, front and centre each Prog with the issue number underneath. That would easily be seen on the shelves each week and catch the potential new readers eye!

SuperSurfer

Surely if sales plummeted every time some of the logo was covered up, Rebellion would put a stop to such antics.

Not everyone is visually unaware, you know.

The bit on the left says '2000AD' as well. That's how I knew that the comic I bought is 2000AD. That's how the sales assistant in WHSmiths knew what the publication is and so put it in its regular spot on the shelves.

The reason for the 'horrid' banner has been explained many a time.

A.Cow

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 28 April, 2016, 02:56:22 AM
The reason for the 'horrid' banner has been explained many a time.

Am I the only one who likes the current banner?

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Fungus on 27 April, 2016, 10:31:24 AM
Reviews haven't said much concrete about Brink, but that cover alone looks like it's pretty much a clone of The Fuse?

It's a Bernal Sphere.

The concept has been banging about since 1929. Wondrous stuff.

SF police procedurals date back to at least 1953 when Isaac Asimov wrote The Caves of Steel in response to Astounding magazine editor John W. Campbell, Jr's assertion that it was impossible to have a SF mystery, because the detective could always pull out some gizmo that would magically solve the case.

Really really REALLY chuffed to see some proper hard sf in the prog. Massive props to the Dabnett & INJ droids.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

TordelBack

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 28 April, 2016, 02:06:30 AM
To save money, why not just have the logo massive, front and centre each Prog with the issue number underneath.

Heh!  Of course the Meg tried almost that for it first 7 or 8 issues, and it was horrid.  As has been said, I think the dual-logo version of the Prog cover offers huge design flexibility while retaining on-shelf clarity. I'm not mad about the specific look of the big logo itself, but the principle is sound.

TordelBack

Ack!  Double post!  But...

Quote from: Butch on 27 April, 2016, 10:40:32 PM
...and I find Mike Carroll's newly discovered facility for brutal violence very entertaining.

... I do have to agree with this sentiment.  The succession of executions over past weeks really works to show a Justice Dept permanently on the back foot, turning to its war-time practices almost as a default.  And it gives Carroll's stories a tone of their own, independent of his harem of supporting characters.

IndigoPrime

I like to think in that first Meg cover, the photographer's going: "No. Lower. Sorry, Dredd. Lower. Stop scowling! We've got to fit you AND that massive logo in, you know. Nope. Down a bit. That's it! Great!"

Link Prime

Fantastic (non-) Dredd by the Carroll & Holden Droids this week, and that's saying something following on from the past month.
For me, this storyline is generating the kind of excitement only fleetingly felt once or twice since Chaos Day.

I think PJ's art is as sharp as it's ever been, and it's Adam Brown's gorgeous colours that are adding that unfamiliar edge, similar to his recent collaboration with Patrick Goddard on Sinister / Dexter.
I'd love to see Brown paired with new Art Droid Mark Sexton at some stage.

The rest of the Prog is solid fare, with Tainted being the last strip I slowly savour each week.

Delighted that Slaine will be back next week, with concurrent painted artwork from the Davis and Kendall Droids we can party like its 1994.

Link Prime

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 April, 2016, 10:50:06 PM
similar to his recent collaboration with Patrick Goddard on Sinister / Dexter.

Too late to edit- I meant Brown's recent colouring of Goddard's work on Judge Dredd: The Beating.

Don't be a double-poster hater.

Starkers

Quote from: Verence on 27 April, 2016, 04:02:06 PM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 26 April, 2016, 09:15:00 AM
The Dredd is a bit annoying because I know he's not dead, and so already feel that we are treading water for the big reveal that he is, in fact, alive and the Cursed Earth and Brit-Cit stuff is an over-arching plot by [Sino-Cit/ the Kleggs/ the LawLords/ Max Normal] (delete as appropriate)

East-Meg Two would my guess as they are still holding ex-Chief Judge Sinfield and surely they wouldn't do that if they didn't have a plan that somehow involved him

I wonder if Sinfield will end up doing for East Meg 2 what Anatoli Kazan did for MC1? An adviser in how the Mega City 1 judges think etc? My money's still on a less obvious villain, either Brit Cit or Texas City.

It's clear Dredd isn't dead, I guess the mystery is why he isn't dead/who has him and whether its a Mega City 1 sting operation or an external threat.

I am getting a little tired of the someone gets shot/something explodes cliff hangers.

Rest of the Prog was ok, it says something about how into Survival Geeks I am that I didn't even realise there was a new character last week until it was spelled out this week! Brink seems fairly generic at the moment and whilst I initially really liked Aquilla when it started it seems to be drifting a bit lately. Deadworld is interesting but, and I don't know if its down to the artwork or the script, I'm not 100% sure who everyone is or quite what's occurring sometimes! Also we know no one's going to survive so the problem of prequels is in play too.

TordelBack

Must say that I find the inevitable demise of all the characters in Tainted very liberating. I can stop worrying about them (not Grandpa too!), and just watch the horror unfold.  And such horror! The most effective horror strip we've had since Cradlegrave, IMO.  Hope Fairfax's inevitable transformation (into Fear?), or bloody refusal of same, is as grim as I'm imagining...

So Survival Geeks is good these days. It was always going to take a while to escape the Big Bang Theory singularity, but running these two tales back to back looks like it may have built up enough momentum to do that. And gawsh but it is a perfect visual sorbet.

After an uneven run Aquila had a solid end, with the Fifth Horcrux now in sight.  How many more to go? I'm not convinced by Davidson on this yet (although I love his art), I feel the world looks too generic medieval/fantasy, rather than the more grounded Roman/fantasy we've had up to this: I never got much sense that we were in 1st C Spain.  Or is that more to down to the mythological/wizard's tower focus of this outing? He did do a truly fabulous on the skinning, ugh ugh ugh.

I as yet have no opinion on Brink, except to wonder if I've reached satiation with regard to Culbard SF series.

Anzati

Quote from: Starkers on 29 April, 2016, 10:17:23 AM
...it says something about how into Survival Geeks I am that I didn't even realise there was a new character last week until it was spelled out this week!

Wasn't he the villain from the first Survival Geeks story?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Anzati on 29 April, 2016, 11:53:05 AM
Quote from: Starkers on 29 April, 2016, 10:17:23 AM
...it says something about how into Survival Geeks I am that I didn't even realise there was a new character last week until it was spelled out this week!

Wasn't he the villain from the first Survival Geeks story?
It was, his return was Lampshaded in the Winter Special.

Magnetica

Quote from: Tordelback on 29 April, 2016, 10:45:15 AM

I as yet have no opinion on Brink, except to wonder if I've reached satiation with regard to Culbard SF series.

I had a similar thought myself but when you think about it what has he done? Brass Sun and a 3riller, and that's about it.

Don't think there would be too many complaints if say Henry Flint (to pick an artist at random) was drawing 2 series at once.

Hawkmumbler

3 is you include Wilds End, which is everything but in a tual fact, a 2000AD comic.