Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Dreddzilla

Is it just me, or does the Blue Dredd look like it has a metallic shine to the uniform and helmet?

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

SIP

I really wish they would tone down the face on the Dredd figure. ....it would be so good. The mouth/chin is really letting it down in my opinion.

teckno viking

already have an alt head for mine, once helmet is either removed or cast for it.

Dash Decent

Quote from: SIP on 10 February, 2016, 08:37:14 AM
I really wish they would tone down the face on the Dredd figure. ....it would be so good. The mouth/chin is really letting it down in my opinion.

It's not far removed from Mrs McGillicuddy of Upper Kumbukto West.

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dreddzilla

Anyone else hope we see something new at Toyfair?

Mardroid

Sam Turner up at my place today!

I haven't broken him out of the package yet, but I'm pretty pleased with the figure. No holster for his blaster that I can see, but I don't remember seeing one in the comics anyway.

For those interested, his 3 pairs of hands seem to be-

• Ordinary flat hands.
  • Holding hands (for the gun).
  • Fists.

The detail on those hands are pretty amazing, by the way.

I'd have liked to have seen Stogie but considering he has Cutie it makes sense for this time period. I wonder if it would have just been too awkward getting that level of detail on such a small object. The second cigar is Stogie. He's just got his eyes closed. Heh.

One thing, on the back of the packet ( which is a nice thing in itself by the way with lovely artwork) Ian Gibson is credited as co-creator. I know he did most of the artwork, but he was not the first to draw it in the Prog, right?

That doesn't mean he didn't design the character, I guess. Maybe he just wasn't available during the Verdus storyline. We know Carlos Ezquerra was co-creator of Judge Dredd, after all, and he didn't draw the first story to appear in the Prog, so maybe this is a similar thing. Or did 3a make a mistake?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 February, 2016, 02:21:41 PM
That doesn't mean he didn't design the character, I guess. Maybe he just wasn't available during the Verdus storyline.

I thought the rather lack-lustre art job on the first three episodes by original artist (Ferrer?) led to him being taken off the strip and Gibson drafted in, re-drawing quite a lot of Ferrer's panels before taking over as 'official' series artist.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 February, 2016, 02:28:52 PM
Quote from: Mardroid on 13 February, 2016, 02:21:41 PM
That doesn't mean he didn't design the character, I guess. Maybe he just wasn't available during the Verdus storyline.

I thought the rather lack-lustre art job on the first three episodes by original artist (Ferrer?) led to him being taken off the strip and Gibson drafted in, re-drawing quite a lot of Ferrer's panels before taking over as 'official' series artist.

Cheers

Jim

You're probably right.

Oddly, I actually preferred the art of the first stories to the stuff where Gibson was first credited as artist. His work improved a lot in later stories, (and I don't mean that much later. The later stories drawn by him in the Robohunter files volume are fine.) but in that earlier stuff straight after the changeover Gibson's work looks rather unfinished to me. It did the job of telling the stories successfully, but the line work looks indistinct, particularly in the background and ... well. Unfinished as I just said. (Or is that to do with reproduction issues? My introduction to this early stuff is the Robohunter droid files. Electronic version.)

Now I ironically find out its quite likely he is responsible for some of the artwork that I really  liked in the early strips too!

But is he the initial co creator? And I mean that to take no credit away from his later work. He really made that strip his own.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mardroid on 13 February, 2016, 03:53:40 PM
But is he the initial co creator?

Technically, perhaps not. In those first three Verdus episodes (I had to get my own copy of Droid Files Vol1 out to check how many episodes Ferrer did), Slade is clearly recognisable in the un-re-drawn stuff, so as much as Gibson was absolutely the definitive artist, Ferrer definitely drew the character first, as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Mardroid

Mardroid

And I see I accidentally gave Sam a new surname a couple of posts back.

I of course meant to say "Sam turned up..."

Mardroid

I took it out of the packet... And one of his feet and his waist pouch came off. As did Cutie, but in her case the hook used to attach her to his belt remained attached. In the case of the pouch, the hook came off. It can be pushed back in easily enough, but will not take the weight of the pouch when fixing to the belt. Basically, I'll need to get glue.

As for the foot, it can be attached but is very loose. A hard push will keep it on firm enough to use, but I don't think it should be that loose. The other foot cmes off quite easily too, but not to quite the same extent. A hard push will keep the feet on enough to Stan him, ext but it you turn the feet to pose him it will likely come off again.

The hands are easily removable too, but in this case it's an asset as it makes swapping them easy. (I keep worrying they're not on properly as I expect to feel a click, and the pegs don't seem to go in all the way, but I don't think they're meant to. They seem to be tight enough, and his bracelets cover the join.) I was worried it would cause wear on the ball joint, but as the socket is pretty shallow, that shouldn't be a problem. They remain tight enough to use.

But it seems those shallow sockets are in the feet too. And his feet are much looser than his hands when you'd think the opposite would be true. I almost wonder if it was expressly made to be nodded!

A lovely looking figure. But too loosely fitted together.

Oh and the cigars fit right dandy into the right side of his mouth.

Mardroid

I seem to have fixed the pouch, but I think applying some glue would be a sound idea.