Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

TordelBack

Didn't know that was you, Skullmo!  Excellent stuff, you should do more.

Skullmo

Quote from: Tordelback on 08 February, 2016, 06:34:25 PM
Didn't know that was you, Skullmo!  Excellent stuff, you should do more.

Cheers. I was going to do one on Disaster 1990, that's one of my favourites!

abelardsnazz

Beyond MC1 is a mostly good collection. Atlantis is a solid opener with some great designs from Brendan McCarthy, Emerald Isle stays just the right side of farcical, and Gulag & Regime Change have some great world-building ideas from Gordon Rennie, with Dredd at his intransigent best.

Then there's the elephant in the room. I tried to view it with fresh eyes, but despite Dermot Power doing his best with the art, Book of the Dead needs to be expunged from Dredd history as an example of how not to do a multi-part story. The plot is non-existent, the mummy-thing is a very poor cousin to Death and co., and my opinion is that it needn't have appeared in this collection at all. We don't have to have Crusade as well do we?

Rant over. Looking forward to Satan's Island.

NapalmKev

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 11 February, 2016, 07:29:30 AM

We don't have to have Crusade as well do we?

Yes, we do! Hard as it is to imagine but some people actually like it.

The artwork is stunning, IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

IndigoPrime

Given the page count of the entire collection, I suspect we will be getting a fair amount of crap, but there's only been one book so far that I found a trudge to get through, and that was Heavy Mob. I'm hoping the crap will be surrounded for the most part by decent stuff, as in Beyond Mega-City One. (No idea how that'll work the the third-rate Anderson Janus, like, stories, like, y'know. ARGH.)

(By contrast, I'm now a quarter of the way into my Marvel hardbacks set and have found precisely two books that I'd reread—the Simonson Thor and Marvels. I suspect I'm just not cut out for Marvel. Either that or this collection gets way better very soon. I expect I'll be dumping the lot on eBay though.)

Link Prime

Quote from: NapalmKev on 11 February, 2016, 09:06:30 AM
Quote from: abelardsnazz on 11 February, 2016, 07:29:30 AM

We don't have to have Crusade as well do we?

Yes, we do! Hard as it is to imagine but some people actually like it.

The artwork is stunning, IMO.

Cheers

Yeah, I don't mind Crusade at all to be honest.

I've always been sorry that we didn't see much more of Mick Austin after this period.
Loved his style of art.

Hawkmumbler

Their are far worse stories from the period than Crusade. Look at Frankenstein Division. Lush art soiled by one of the most incompetant scripts imaginable.

Skullmo

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 February, 2016, 10:56:52 AM
Given the page count of the entire collection, I suspect we will be getting a fair amount of crap, but there's only been one book so far that I found a trudge to get through, and that was Heavy Mob. I'm hoping the crap will be surrounded for the most part by decent stuff, as in Beyond Mega-City One. (No idea how that'll work the the third-rate Anderson Janus, like, stories, like, y'know. ARGH.)

(By contrast, I'm now a quarter of the way into my Marvel hardbacks set and have found precisely two books that I'd reread—the Simonson Thor and Marvels. I suspect I'm just not cut out for Marvel. Either that or this collection gets way better very soon. I expect I'll be dumping the lot on eBay though.)

Single Green Female was good

IndigoPrime

That's #35, and I'm still some way off. Just finished the two Avengers: Forever books, which I had high hopes for after Marvels (same writer), but had to force myself to finish.

Jade Falcon

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 February, 2016, 02:07:13 PM
This sums up the risible Book of the Dead neatly. Also interesting to see Molcher laying into these strips in the outro essay. Emerald Isle holds up nicely, though—one of the best Ennis Dredds; and it's a pity all the groundwork Rennie was laying for something more or less got lost when he quit Dredd. (What's with the mouths in Regime Change, though? And SUPER GIANT DREDD?)

I thought some of the mouths were odd as well, but the last time I commented negatively on art was Howler, and that wasn't received well. :)

Nonetheless, I haven't read Koburn yet.  All this with my Mum dying means that I hadn't read this or the Beyond Mega City book.  I read the latter first as it's earlier in the collection numerically.  Atlantis I had read before, Emerald Isle was downright silly and stupid, but that is the intention after all with Eire being a giant theme park. :)

Book of the Dead, never my favourite story, but some nice artwork.

Gulag was a story I hadn't read before, with its only fault being that it could have been a bit longer.  Great art, great tension.

Regime Change, apart from some of the strange facial artwork, including the stereotypical latino moustaches was excellent.  I'm surely not the only one who noticed nods to the likes of the Argentina Junta with 'the disappeared', people being thrown out of H-Wagons, as well as a jab at American foreign policy.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

abelardsnazz

The cover of volume 30, Klegg Hai!, is now on the official site. Cover credits are Robbie Morrison, Garth Ennis, Rob Williams, John Wagner, Colin MacNeil, Chris Weston, Carl Critchlow and Steve Dillon.

So, throwing the speculation hat into the ring, any guesses for stories in this volume?

IndigoPrime

robert_ellis

Really liked the Satan's Island book. The john smith story about the hand in the case was fun - and a very different feeling Dredd story. Lawcon didn't grab me. I'm assuming the law lords feature in other stories which aren't being collected. I'm liking the upcoming Klegg cover - I didn't realise there were enough stories for a volume - my knowledge is limited to Cal & our recent sensitive friend. I'd love to know what's likely to be on there.

BPP

Quote from: robert_ellis on 17 February, 2016, 10:27:04 AM
Really liked the Satan's Island book. The john smith story about the hand in the case was fun - and a very different feeling Dredd story. Lawcon didn't grab me. I'm assuming the law lords feature in other stories which aren't being collected. I'm liking the upcoming Klegg cover - I didn't realise there were enough stories for a volume - my knowledge is limited to Cal & our recent sensitive friend. I'd love to know what's likely to be on there.

The law lords are easily the worst thing in the Dredd Universe. Well, now we've dropped the general cliche'd approach to 'foreign' judges.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd